Sears now charge restocking fee for returned TVs. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sears now charge restocking fee for returned TVs.

Smokey
03-08-2006, 02:28 PM
I took a TV back yesterday, and salesman told me that from now Sears will charge restocking fee (15%) for HT items (such as TV or stereos). They charge me $44 restocking fee :mad:

I was going to buy and try out another TV, but got so mad that I walked out. I think I will take my business to BB or CC. As far as I know, they don’t charge restocking fees.

kexodusc
03-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Bummer.
They should be required to make you sign a letter of understanding before the picture, a last line of defense I guess. I can't knock them for nailing people who buy TV's just for the superbowl, but mistreating honest customers is never good.

GMichael
03-08-2006, 02:55 PM
I took a TV back yesterday, and salesman told me that from now Sears will charge restocking fee (15%) for HT items (such as TV or stereos). They charge me $44 restocking fee :mad:

I was going to buy and try out another TV, but got so mad that I walked out. I think I will take my business to BB or CC. As far as I know, they don’t charge restocking fees.

You may want to ask BB and/or CC what their return policy is before you do. Restocking fees are more common than ever now. Too many people were buying big screen TV's only to return them after their superbowl party was over.

markw
03-08-2006, 03:24 PM

I was going to buy and try out another TV, but got so mad that I walked out. I think I will take my business to BB or CC. As far as I know, they don’t charge restocking fees.If not, try looking at it from a retailers prespective.

There's nothing wrong with the TV, right? You just decided you don't like it, right? Is that their fault? No.

Can they sell it at full price? Would YOU pay full price for an open box item? No. They will have to sell it at a discount.

With margins on these goods as low as they are they really can't afford to eat too much before they go into the red on a sale. Look at the restocking fee as your rental the Squipment for a few days. So, they still make a few pennies and you get the luxury of trytig a set at home.

Now, had it been defective, that would be another story.

...sorry, but welcome to the real world where they need to turn a profit, or at least break even.

Eric Z
03-08-2006, 04:49 PM
i know bb charges a restocking fee for some of their computer stuff and digital cameras/camcorders.

i can understand markw's point regarding a company losing money on selling open box items at a discount. i just don't agree because i don't think it's possible to know if you really want to keep a tv until you've had it in your home for a week or so- especially since you're dropping a decent amount of cash- it's not $300 or $400 anymore. i would just bring my business elsewhere.

Woochifer
03-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Well, another domino falls ...

$44 restocking fee ... so that means that you're looking at $300 TVs? C'mon! You have higher standards than that! Consider yourself lucky that you got the other 85% back -- good place from which to start saving! :D

I don't know if you've ever tried shopping at an independent store, but almost all of them charge restocking fees for everything they sell, if they even take returns in the first place. And even regional specialty chains will charge restocking fees as well. As markw pointed out, stores take a bath whenever a customer buys and then returns something because they cannot just retape the box and sell the item as new.

Another thing to consider is that certain items like computers, printers, digital cameras, and camcorders have always had restocking fees, even from chains that otherwise have generous return policies. Would not surprise me if more stores started imposing similar restrictions on home theater products.

It surprises me that Sears has joined the bandwagon since they have traditionally had among the most generous return policies for all products. But, electronics is one of those sectors where it's very easy to lose a lot of money if the inventory does not turn around quickly enough.

N. Abstentia
03-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Why did you take the TV back?

Smokey
03-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks everybody for comments.

Restocking fee seem to be double edge sword for retailers. It does cover lost value due to TV being taken out of box, but it make consumers think twice before plunging for new TV, especially high dollars TVs (which mean lost sale). I know I will think twice about it before going to Sears. So for retailers, this might be a case of damn if you do, and damn if you don’t.

I see mark’s point of view also. TV was not defective, but Sears can not sell TV brand new,
and have to discount it (10 to 20%) as “returned” TV. They are just covering their own end.

But I wished they do better job of setting and displaying TVs in their show room, and feed them good signal so consumer have better idea of how TV performs. As of now in a showroom, one TV shows a crystal clear picture, and TV next to it is all fuzzy and wavy because of unequal signal feed.

If the current trend continue with restocking fees, Walmart might be the only place to buy a TV :D

$44 restocking fee ... so that means that you're looking at $300 TVs? C'mon! You have higher standards than that!

Dam it Wooch, was trying to hide how cheap I am, but you had to announce it with a megaphone :D

TV was Toshiba 32 inch TV (32A35) for $300 (clearance price). Toshiba doesn’t make this
type of TV anymore (new models start at $500), and was trying to catch one before it disappeared.

And as to why I took it back, the Tv showed good picture and all (and excellent goemetry), but found picture sharpness not to my liking (way too soft) and had a slight greenish tint to it. I accessed the secret service menu to correct these shortcomings, but couldn’t do no better. So back it went.

Eric Z
03-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Smokey, you hit it right on the head, stores need to do a better job of displaying their products. What if it looks good in the store and you bring it home and it looks like crap? You better believe I'm bringing it back and I'm complaining enough to not charge me the restocking fee. Newsflash, many stores do not discount products just because they were returned- they just repackage them and make them look like new.

I'm so happy my independent retailer allows returns on everything from appliances, digital camera/camcorders, receivers, speakers, dvd players with no restocking fee- maybe that's why they are so darn successful and people enjoy working and shopping there- I like when a company still cares for the consumer. Too bad many companies aren't as successful- if they were, they'd be able to take a bit of a hit financially to please their customer.

I understand some companies need to take some more money from the customer when others don't, but I don't agree with it. I know, one day all companies will be this way- maybe they will, but it's always nice to have options for at least a little while.

Don't ask me why this topic fires me up- maybe because I had a crappy experience at BB after I received a digital camera as a Christmas gift. I didn't open the box just because I thought there may be a restocking fee. I called them and they confirmed the fee. I went to the store to look at the camera, but they didn't have one on display- how the heck would they expect someone to buy something when you can't hold and feel it? I had to go round and round with assistant managers who just "followed the rules."

Thanks for letting me vent :)

EdwardGein
03-08-2006, 09:55 PM
What is the advantage at shopping at Sears over Circuit City or Best Buy or Frys if its in yur area. I always check on the return policy on stores before I purchase anything & have actually had very good experiences at Circuit City, Best Buy, Fry's & Magnolia meaning I received my money back right away without waiting and being grilled and hasseled as to why I am returning something. IF I had bought say a $2000 stereo system & I wanted to return it & I was charged a $40 return fee, I would just look at it as a cost for trying something out which has helped me redefine the product I really want. Several times I have bought items which for various reasons I couldn't return but could resell them at say a 10-20% loss, but it was worth taking the loss because it helped me ultimately buy a better product more suited to what I wanted. Its hard to get things right on the first go especially since you really can't sample the product properly in the right environment.

markw
03-09-2006, 05:47 AM
TV was Toshiba 32 inch TV (32A35) for $300 (clearance price). Toshiba doesn’t make this type of TV anymore (new models start at $500), and was trying to catch one before it disappeared.

And as to why I took it back, the Tv showed good picture and all (and excellent goemetry), but found picture sharpness not to my liking (way too soft) and had a slight greenish tint to it. I accessed the secret service menu to correct these shortcomings, but couldn’t do no better. So back it went.I've had a Toshiba 27A34 * for a little over two years now and it's, like, almost perfect for what I paid. I paid $188, though.

I wunner if it might not be a bit defective? But, convincing them of that might be like pulling teeth from a grizzly.

* a 27" predecessor to yours,

PS. Thanks for seeing I wasn' t trying to come down on ya. Just looking at it from the other side.

Eric Z
03-09-2006, 11:54 AM
What is the advantage at shopping at Sears over Circuit City or Best Buy or Frys if its in yur area. I always check on the return policy on stores before I purchase anything & have actually had very good experiences at Circuit City, Best Buy, Fry's & Magnolia meaning I received my money back right away without waiting and being grilled and hasseled as to why I am returning something. IF I had bought say a $2000 stereo system & I wanted to return it & I was charged a $40 return fee, I would just look at it as a cost for trying something out which has helped me redefine the product I really want. Several times I have bought items which for various reasons I couldn't return but could resell them at say a 10-20% loss, but it was worth taking the loss because it helped me ultimately buy a better product more suited to what I wanted. Its hard to get things right on the first go especially since you really can't sample the product properly in the right environment.

i think i would be okay if it was 2% ($40 for a $2K purchase), but i usually see 15%-20% ($300-$400 on a $2K purchase)- that's crazy!

Smokey
03-09-2006, 01:01 PM
i think i would be okay if it was 2% ($40 for a $2K purchase), but i usually see 15%-20% ($300-$400 on a $2K purchase)- that's crazy!

Not to mention all the labor involved taking a big heavy TV home (especially tube TVs), unpacking it and setting it up. Had to climb two stairs with the 120 pound monster, and had to pay one of my coworker to help me out (bringing and taking bacK).

Eric Z
03-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Not to mention all the labor involved taking a big heavy TV home (especially tube TVs), unpacking it and setting it up. Had to climb two stairs with the 120 pound monster, and had to pay one of my coworker to help me out (bringing and taking bacK).

good point- especially if you have to borrow a van or truck to haul it! however, i'm willing to do some of the grunt work to be 100% pleased with my purchase- as i get older, hindsight looks better and better.

Woochifer
03-09-2006, 08:14 PM
IBut I wished they do better job of setting and displaying TVs in their show room, and feed them good signal so consumer have better idea of how TV performs. As of now in a showroom, one TV shows a crystal clear picture, and TV next to it is all fuzzy and wavy because of unequal signal feed.

Unfortunately, nowadays the only retailers that don't have their TVs connected into some central source are higher end independent shops, and with big ticket items like HDTVs, a lot of the ones in my area will tell you up front that all sales are FINAL (except in cases where the TV is defective/DOA out of the box). But, at least over there you might be able to bring your own movies to the store and they can hook up a DVD player directly to the TV rather than through a central switch box. With BB, forget about trying to get an employee to let you hook up an individual component to a TV so that you can do more valid comparisons. But, at least there you have the more generous return policy. Seems like everything's a tradeoff.

If the current trend continue with restocking fees, Walmart might be the only place to buy a TV :D

You think that Walmart won't start throwing restocking fees into the mix once everybody else follows suit? Sears might be the first of many dominos to fall, with all the consolidation and more limited price competition among retailers that's ensued over the last few years.

Dam it Wooch, was trying to hide how cheap I am, but you had to announce it with a megaphone :D

Actually, I was trying to be subtle ... THIS is what a megaphone would sound like ...

SMOKEY, YOU'RE CHEAPIN' OUT ON US!!!! THIS MEANS THAT YOU ONLY PAID $300 FOR A TV!!!!!

THREE HUNDY, THREE FREAKING HUNDRED -- THAT'S 3-0-0 BUCKS, FOR A DAMN TV ...

AS IN THREE BENJAMINS, OR SIX GRANTS, OR FIFTEEN JACKSONS, OR THIRTY HAMILTONS, OR SIXTY LINCOLNS, OR THREEEEEEEEEHUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNDDDREDDD WASHINGTONS FOR A NEW FREAKIN' TV!!!!

So, you see I was playing nice! :D

:16:

GMichael
03-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Unfortunately, nowadays the only retailers that don't have their TVs connected into some central source are higher end independent shops, and with big ticket items like HDTVs, a lot of the ones in my area will tell you up front that all sales are FINAL (except in cases where the TV is defective/DOA out of the box). But, at least over there you might be able to bring your own movies to the store and they can hook up a DVD player directly to the TV rather than through a central switch box. With BB, forget about trying to get an employee to let you hook up an individual component to a TV so that you can do more valid comparisons. But, at least there you have the more generous return policy. Seems like everything's a tradeoff.

You think that Walmart won't start throwing restocking fees into the mix once everybody else follows suit? Sears might be the first of many dominos to fall, with all the consolidation and more limited price competition among retailers that's ensued over the last few years.

Actually, I was trying to be subtle ... THIS is what a megaphone would sound like ...

SMOKEY, YOU'RE CHEAPIN' OUT ON US!!!! THIS MEANS THAT YOU ONLY PAID $300 FOR A TV!!!!!

AS IN THREE BENJAMINS, OR SIX GRANTS, OR FIFTEEN JACKSONS, OR THIRTY HAMILTONS, OR SIXTY LINCOLNS, OR THREEEEEEEEEHUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNDDDREDDD WASHINGTONS FOR A NEW FREAKIN' TV!!!!

So, you see I was playing nice! :D

:16:

Sorry Wooch. IMO this is still too subtle. Try it like this:

AS IN THREE BENJAMINS, OR SIX GRANTS, OR FIFTEEN JACKSONS, OR THIRTY HAMILTONS, OR SIXTY LINCOLNS, OR THREEEEEEEEEHUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNDDDREDDD WASHINGTONS FOR A NEW FREAKIN' TV!!!

Hope you didn't mind me buttin' in.:ciappa:

Smokey
03-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Walk out of office, seeing Wooch and GMichael by the water cooler with a megaphone, creating commotion and grinning. Grab the megaphone, hit them over the head with it, and dunk Wooch and GMichael in the water cooler. And then announce with megaphone to everybody that water cooler is out of order, so if anybody hear any gargling, it is just equipment malfunctioning.

And then go back to my office :D

GMichael
03-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Oh no! You shouldn't have dunked Wooch. Didn't you know? Oh my Gawd!

I'm atta here man!

:eek6: :mad5: :nono: :eek:

Runs down hall. Slips in water. Bounces once & keeps running.

L.J.
03-10-2006, 05:28 PM
(LJ opens door, looks at mess....)

:frown2:

(closes door)