Davey, Davey, Davey, Davey <shakes head> [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Davey, Davey, Davey, Davey <shakes head>

Slosh
03-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Your disco de lo mysterio package terminated its cross-continental journey yesterday but it appears it ran into a nasty sandstorm along the way. Is there some sort of a jewelbox crisis in northern California that I'm wholly unaware of? Even my trusty old Pioneer Elite universal player, which plays practically everything including unfinalized discs and rental DVDs that look unsafe to handle with anything less than a full-on hazmat suit, choked on these discs after three or four tracks. Who was that idiot who said good things come to those who wait? I expect a full refund, of course. ;)

On a related note I've decided to only offer my comps via ysi from now on . . . . or until some total and complete bastard copyright attorney shuts them down . . . . or until ysi starts charging for their service. :)

Last night I was re-arranging some playlists and absent mindedly sent a wma lossless folder to iTunes. When I launched iTunes I was greeted with a message saying iTunes would have to convert the folder to Apple Lossless in order to add it to the library. Cool, I didn't know it could do that. I suspect it would have converted to WAV or AIFF or AAC if that's what I set iTunes to rip in. I didn't actually do it though so I can't say for sure.

NP: Tapes 'n Tapes - The Loon (Aack, mp3. I wish the CD I ordered would hurry up and get here already.)

Stone
03-08-2006, 01:42 PM
On a related note I've decided to only offer my comps via ysi from now on . . . . or until some total and complete bastard copyright attorney shuts them down.

I've been looking for something to do in my free time.

Slosh
03-08-2006, 01:43 PM
I've been looking for something to do in my free time.hehe, I could have just said lawyer ;)

Slosh
03-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Oops, spoke a little too soon. The actual mystery disc just played all the way through. The other two will have to spend the next 10,000 years in a New Jersey landfill though. No biggie.

Davey
03-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Oops, spoke a little too soon. The actual mystery disc just played all the way through. The other two will have to spend the next 10,000 years in a New Jersey landfill though. No biggie.
Hey, that's too bad. Were they actually scratched up? I bundled them in padding so they shouldn't have been able to move too much. When you're sending out 10 or 15 packages with 3 or 4 discs each, jewel boxes add a lot of bucks in cost and shipping. But I didn't have any spares either and didn't feel like buying any since I kind of figured the Mystery Discs were disposable anyway. Hmmm, still expected y'all would be able to spin em though. Maybe my burner is getting whack, but my machines play all the CDs I cook. I'll probably find out that no one has been able to play my comps for years, but never told me :)

Did you try em in your computer too? One was the latest Silver Jews that I just labelled as a Mystery Disc since I think you were the only recipient (there were actually about 3 or 4 "real" Mystery Discs that went to more than one person) and the other was my New Disguise comp that was labelled as such, and has a bunch of cool stuff on it ... at least by my questionable cool standards :rolleyes5:

Slosh
03-08-2006, 03:38 PM
The Silver Jews makes it five songs in before stuttering and skipping and then completely failing. Comp gets halfway through Enon. Tried them on the computer, car stereo, and big rig. The discs themselves even look fubar, like you were playing frisbee with your dog with them or something. Too bad they weren't Finchy discs :D

Think nothing of it. Just wanted to give you a head's up. Why the mystery disc made it and the others didn't, I haven't a clue.

Davey
03-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Think nothing of it. Just wanted to give you a head's up. Why the mystery disc made it and the others didn't, I haven't a clue.
Yeah, just wanted to clarify was all. Hopefully some of the others fare better. Just checked and I see I've only bought 2 CDs this year so far, and they were both technically from 2005. Nine Horses and Steve Wynn. Oh well, gonna make up for it a bit pretty soon with that Deadstring Brothers and Neko Case and that Freakwater/Califone album from last year. Maybe a couple others, who knows. Got any big suggestions? Yeah, I know, Tapes 'n Tapes. Pretty far behind, but I don't really care that much anymore since I tend to listen to the same album for days.

There's a cover girl on a stake-out.
She's worm on a hook; she's bait.
In the trunk of a Plymouth in Memphis,
she thinks she's made a mistake.

Go on an gimme some fresh new eyes.
Dress my tongue in a new disguise.
Go on an gimme a sexy mouth to taste it!

Davey, Davey, Davey, Davey <shakes head>
Hey, four Davey's is a damn good rating for a fubar disc, especailly one with a swirl of dried canine spit marks on it! Bet it woulda been a classic if it got there all purty and fresh ;)

Slosh
03-09-2006, 12:52 AM
I feel like a street teamer with this but that Tapes 'n Tapes album really is amazingly good. I wonder if our old buddy stupidest boy had anything to do with it? It was recorded in Kid Dakota's home studio.

Maybe I'll ysi it when the CD gets here.

I haven't bought any 2006 releases yet but with Calexico and BTS and BHP and Grandaddy coming this spring that'll change in a hurry. Any new Sparklehorse in the pipeline? It's been what, five years or so.