would a good CD player improve this chain? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : would a good CD player improve this chain?

StupidClay
03-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Hi everyone!

Here's my setup, as-in:

B&W 601 speakers
NAD C320BEE amp
Channel Islands VDA-1 DAC
Kimber 8TC speaker cable, Kimber interconnects

Currently, I stream a majority of my music via Airport Express into the Channel Islands DAC. I'm wondering if a dedicated CD player would better my sound, going through the DAC, or standalone. Cambridge Audio? NAD? Denon? I'd like to spend sub-$500, and would most probably buy the player used for something like Audiogon.

Any suggestions, on either a good player, or whether this is a good idea in general? Thanks!

Best,
Clay

RJW1138
03-08-2006, 11:28 AM
I'll warn that I haven't heard the VDA-1, but I'm assuming a $500 CD player probably won't sound any better than it. The DAC itself is worth around ~$400, right? Well, think of all the extra stuff that's in a CD player, and you'll realize that it would be nearly impossible to get a better sounding CD player than DAC for around the same price.

Would it make sense to buy a good dedicated CD player as a transport? It might help the sound a smidge, but I'm willing to bet you won't find it will make anywhere near enough of a difference to warrant the cost.

If I were you, I'd be looking at upgrading the speakers. However, an extra $500 isn't really going to accomplish much, considering you'd have to sell your speakers and take a hit on that. What I'd do is save up for a while, and then upgrade your speakers when you have about $2-3000 to spend. There are a lot of options up in that price range that'll make your 601's sound broken. Just my opinion.

Dusty Chalk
03-08-2006, 01:31 PM
I don't think so. What are you using as a transport now?

I use an external DAC as well -- MSB Link DAC III -- and the only CD player that improved its sound was the Rega Planet (pre-2k). And even then, not by much. I just use a Sony changer now.

You'd be better off saving up for something much higher grade, like a newer Rega, a mid-level Musical Fidelity, a Meridian G08, a Linn Unidisk or a dCS P8i.

dean_martin
03-08-2006, 02:35 PM
It really depends on what you think is lacking in the sound you do get. To tame the high frequencies on cd sound I not only changed cd players, but also switched from a solid state preamp/amp combo to a tubed integrated amp. I'm finally getting a relaxing but full cd sound that I can listen to for extended periods.

I switched from an AMC cd8b cd palyer to a Cambridge Audio D500SE. The sound went from harsh and thin on some cds to a fuller, more detailed midrange without the harshness in the treble. The newer Azur series from CA uses a different dac (Wolfson), but may retain some of the better qualities of the D500SE. I've heard an NAD 542 cdp that sounded similiar to my CA in an all NAD setup - nice full sound. I haven't heard the BEE cdp from NAD, but I've read that it's not as full-bodied as the 542.

Even with the changes in my system, I don't think I'm getting the absolute best there is in cd playback. IMO, I'd have to look at the $2000+ range of players.

Are you thinking of adding a cdp as a source or replacing your Airport Express/CI DAC setup with a single disc cdp? You might give up some convenience for very little in return if it's the latter.

hermanv
03-10-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm not sure how old your DAC is. I think they have come a long way in the last 5 or maybe 10 years. A used one in the $500-$1,000 range will probably give you a lot better sound, if smoothness in the midrange and lack of fatigue are your goals. If you want more bass slam probably the DAC won't do much.

I am a strong advocate of seperates, even today when CD players are much better than they were. There are so many things in a CD player (Motor to spin the disk, a motor to open the door, a uP to drive the display etc, etc.) The DAC designer only has one task so I think you will be ahead with a seperate DAC. Besides even $2,000 CD player will wear out mechanically, the DAC won't. I'd buy a better DAC and stick to mid priced CD players/transports.

Feanor
03-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Hi everyone!

Here's my setup, as-in:

B&W 601 speakers
NAD C320BEE amp
Channel Islands VDA-1 DAC
Kimber 8TC speaker cable, Kimber interconnects

Currently, I stream a majority of my music via Airport Express into the Channel Islands DAC. I'm wondering if a dedicated CD player would better my sound, going through the DAC, or standalone. Cambridge Audio? NAD? Denon? I'd like to spend sub-$500, and would most probably buy the player used for something like Audiogon.

Any suggestions, on either a good player, or whether this is a good idea in general? Thanks!

Best,
Clay

Your Channel Islands DAC is a recent model and has a good reputation and no CD player under $1000 is likely to sound better.

If your current CDP (assuming you have one) is an reliable transport and has a compatible S/PDIF output, (coax or optical), you have not need to buy a new player/transport. Feed you current player's digital output to the Channel Islands and you should be doing well.

Mr Peabody
03-10-2006, 10:12 PM
It looks like the DAC club in here. If any of you are looking for an amazing DAC, keep your eye out for a used Audio Note. I bought a 1.1x that retailed for around $1,500.00 for $850.00 used and it is exceptionally good. I actually use it in place of my Krell's internal DAC. I don't like the shoebox shape or having to use a BNC to RCA digital adaptor but I sure can't complain about the performance. AN DAC's are tube. There is absolutely no digital glare, the sound is very organic, wide frequency response and good detail. The term "organic" was foreign to me prior to discussing this DAC with the owner but when I got it hooked up and listened for awhile..... yip, that describes it, I get it.