Running Speaker WIre Outside [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Running Speaker WIre Outside

Mayonnaise
03-08-2006, 07:55 AM
After much consideration I've determined the only way to wire a specific room in my house is to run a section of speaker wire outside. The length would be about 30ft. Is this an issue? Is there something I should watch for, or a specific wire to buy when running the wire?

PAT.P
03-08-2006, 09:50 PM
After much consideration I've determined the only way to wire a specific room in my house is to run a section of speaker wire outside. The length would be about 30ft. Is this an issue? Is there something I should watch for, or a specific wire to buy when running the wire?There are special wire for outside(UV Protected) ,make sure you add silicon or caulking in the hole you make and get good clamp (dont rust) to hold cable.You cant past the wire from inside(basement or attic) ?

Mayonnaise
03-09-2006, 06:31 AM
both the attic and basement (crawl space) have no access. I really wanted to do it that way, but there's just no way to make it work. It has to go over the roof and down the other side of the room.

Resident Loser
03-09-2006, 08:32 AM
both the attic and basement (crawl space) have no access. I really wanted to do it that way, but there's just no way to make it work. It has to go over the roof and down the other side of the room.

...over the roof?...Probably not a good idea...it's gonna' get blasted by the elements and the constant baking in the sun is definitely a problem.

How do you plan to fasten it? Has to be fastened or the winds and shingles will abrade it very quickly...Can't really fasten it without holes in the roof and that's not good practice.

Why the access problem? You do realize that a crawlspace is just that...a space to crawl into for such purposes...even if you can't fit into it, there's hardly any reason you couldn't drill some holes and snake and drag the wiring in place.

Have you considered running it on the baseboards? There are plastic raceways that can be used for this purpose.

jimHJJ(...part of my job is running wire, there is an answer for nearly everything...)

Glen B
03-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Another alternative is to use either of two types of flat speaker wire which can be installed under carpeting/run along baseboard and on walls and ceilings. The latter, which is adhesive-backed can be covered under joint compound to make it virtually invisible.

See here: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=56&ObjectGroup_ID=370

Mayonnaise
03-09-2006, 03:49 PM
I need to get the wire off the roof, just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'm going to get into that crawl space and see if I can get a bit closer.