I heard a new David Gilmour track [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I heard a new David Gilmour track

Mr Peabody
03-06-2006, 08:55 PM
And not impressed. In a sound byte Gilmour said he has been putting things back for this album for 10 years. If the first track released to radio is any indication of the album it is disappointing in my opinion. It sounds like re-cycled Pink Floyd. I was expecting David Gilmour, his stuff from the 80's was different enough to be his own. But this new track, if no one told you, you'd say it was new Pink Floyd not Gilmour. Don't get excited about it sounding like PF because it's not even good PF.

Hawkeye
03-07-2006, 04:43 AM
To each his own.

BarryL
03-07-2006, 07:45 AM
I like Gilmour's solo stuff and PF without Waters. This release is getting really heavy promotion in Toronto. I haven't heard anything from it yet, but may just venture out at lunch today to pick it up.

Hawkeye
03-07-2006, 08:19 AM
From a friend whose opinion usually jives with mine quite a bit. My copy is on order and hopefully will arrive soon...

While I do think this a concept album, I'm not analyzing the lyrics on this first
listen.

1. Castellorization - this is a very typical Gilmour guitar solo.

2. On an Island - Gilmour here is using a vocal style similar to pre-Dark Side
PF. Very Echoes-esque. Slow and bluesy.

3. The Blue - A harmonica is an interesting touch to this, but I like it. Very
slow, soothing, with an unusual chord progression.

4. Take a Breath - Man, this is totally a mix of of Momentary Lapse type songs
and Astronomy Domine.

5. Red Sky at Night - Nice sax, ear candy with children-in-the-playground
noises. That was the prelude. It then goes into...

6....This Heaven - kind of a jazz number that reminds me of Blondie's "Boom Boom
in the Zoom Zoom Room" except much slower. Very cool. Sultry nightclub jazz.

7. Then I Close MY Eyes - Backwards ear candy is always a good way to begin a
track...then nice slide guitar...some lazy low saxes...sounds like Seamus II is
going to start up...very early Floyd (that's a good thing).

8. Smile - slow, twangy early-Floyd sound. No drums. I like it. Ah, the drums kicked in.

9. Pocket Full of Stones - slow and soothing, a bit more dramatic than the rest.
Still very early Floyd.

10. Where we Start - similar to the last one. Lots of slow acoustic guitars.

Ok, if you're picking this up to hear the next Momentary Lapse or Division Bell,
forget it. This is Dave being intimate, soothing, and returning to the pre-DSOTM
sound. Which again, I welcome, but then again, I probably listen to Meddle more than any
other Floyd album.

Nice, nice, very nice. I highly recommend this to anyone who digs pre-Dark Side
Floyd. It's like meeting an old friend.

Hyfi
03-07-2006, 07:02 PM
10 minute peice on NPR Radio tonight on the new DG disk. It was said that the whole time he did his solo work, he tried painstakingly NOT to sound like Pink Floyd. Then he realized that his flowing, dreamy guitar solos were his signature. He also stated that he is not a fast player and has no quams about not being virtuoso.

The whole time the peice was running they played segments of the new disk. I love the older dreamy Gilmour so if it sounds like old Floyd, it's because Gilmour's guitar was Floyd.

Two Snaps Up!

Mr Peabody
03-07-2006, 07:28 PM
There's a one hour special on our radio station Friday I'll have to try to catch it and give it another chance. I like Gilmour's first solo album best and my favorite PF is Animals followed by Wish You Were Here. The pre Dark Side PF that I have heard, I have not really warmed up to. And you are correct about it getting big promotion. That's a little scary.

I've always considered Gilmour a great guitar player. It's not always about speed. I also enjoy Robin Trower a lot.

You guys are obviously bigger Floyd fans than I.

musicman1999
03-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Just finished the disc.Couple of more listenings will be required to form an opinion however.Has a Pink Floyd type sound for the most part but there are detours.
The new Van Morrison is going in next.
bill

Dusty Chalk
03-09-2006, 12:43 AM
video (http://exodus.interoutemediaservices.com/?id=3ff3ff91-c6a2-4343-8395-968d34ab8134&delivery=stream)

BarryL
03-09-2006, 01:57 PM
The new Van Morrison is going in next.
bill

Post your Morrison thoughts on a separate post if you don't mind.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Most of his recent albums are throw-aways, IMO.

Too bad he can't get back to his No Guru/Poetic Champions/Avalon Sunset sound and writing. The man had a direction and appeared to be on a mission.

On the other hand, I guess it's hard to top a trilogy like that.

3-LockBox
03-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Two Snaps Up!

but no "a twist and a kiss"?

:lol:

MOON
03-11-2006, 04:28 PM
I bought the new David Gillmour disc yesterday. It sounds great with a large variety of instruments in the mix. Yes it does have a Pink Floyd kind of flavour to the recording, so what?

Its a good listen, treat yourself !!!

topspeed
03-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Wow, I'm really impressed by how well DG harmonizes with Graham Nash and David Crosby. That was pretty sweet!

I'll definitely be picking this up. PF always seem to take terrific care in the sonics of their albums and no one does a guitar solo like Gilmore. "Dreamy" is a perfect characterization of his style. It always invokes a few too many flashbacks of my, er...mood enhanced days, but good memories nonetheless :).

Mr Peabody
03-12-2006, 05:05 PM
I don't know guys, I guess if you all are diggin' it that's good but after hearing the whole album it still didn't do anything for me.

Hawkeye
04-15-2006, 07:38 AM
THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO, NBC
Th 4/20: David Gilmour

Swish
04-15-2006, 09:36 AM
10 minute peice on NPR Radio tonight on the new DG disk. It was said that the whole time he did his solo work, he tried painstakingly NOT to sound like Pink Floyd. Then he realized that his flowing, dreamy guitar solos were his signature. He also stated that he is not a fast player and has no quams about not being virtuoso.

The whole time the peice was running they played segments of the new disk. I love the older dreamy Gilmour so if it sounds like old Floyd, it's because Gilmour's guitar was Floyd.

Two Snaps Up!

...mostly because I'm not one either. :) But seriously, I'll take style over speed any day of the week. I always liked the Gilmour style, but I really don't think his new solo stuff is very interesting. Actually, I think it's kind of bland, and I really like DG, but not enough to give him a free pass.

Swish

BradH
04-15-2006, 08:24 PM
It was said that the whole time he did his solo work, he tried painstakingly NOT to sound like Pink Floyd. Then he realized that his flowing, dreamy guitar solos were his signature.

That's odd. He told Sirius Radio he didn't distinguish between PF and his solo work. Hmm.

He also stated that he is not a fast player and has no quams about not being virtuoso.

Man, if I could put that much emotion into every solo I wouldn't have any qualms either! I'll bet there are a lot blues players who'd give their eye teeth to make a Strat sound like that. I think he's a fantastic guitarist, hugely underrated.

Some good songs on the new album but a little mellow overall, it seems.

Dusty Chalk
04-16-2006, 12:31 PM
How many times do I gotta tell you guys -- the two are not mutually exclusive.

Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid
04-18-2006, 01:03 PM
..... He also stated that he is not a fast player and has no quams about not being virtuoso.
Two Snaps Up!

Gilmour NOT virtuoso???!!! The guy is just the best fricking guitar player ever! He always puts the exact right piece of guitar work into every song. He can bring out any emotion.
Virtuoso doesn't necessarily mean fast, IMO.
Gilmour can play. and is more fun to listen to someone like John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola, Yngwie Malmsteen, Vai,,, etc...