Need some help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

Tbone
01-22-2004, 05:57 PM
Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller....lol
I'm fairly new at this high end stuff, got myself a Panasonic 47" HDTV. Wanted to know what video was best at tweaking it, The Avia, or that Digital Home Theater, or both. Any suggestions greatly apprecaited

karl k
01-22-2004, 09:38 PM
As far as the disc, I don't have either. But I did mine with the Sound and Vision/Ovation and it was adequate for me. The Avia has been around for awhile now and seems to be well liked by those who use it. The "Digital" Home Theater is new and is supposed to have some advancements over the original analog version. I'd go with the new one if it's available to you although either will do you justice.

Here's a couple of other sources for tweaking your toy...

http://www.panny.tv/

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/panasonic/panasonic_tips.html

I used these sites to gain access to the service menu to set the coarse and fine convergence. WOW, what a difference it made on my set!!! Over the next year or so, you'll also experience what's referred to as the "Evil Pop" where one of your projectors will freak out and go into hyperdrive... producing too much color. Brett explains this and the fix if your out of warranty. Mine happened with the blue projector after about 6mths and was a breeze to fix after I got over the initial fear.

I would also recommend that if your going to do much tweaking in the service manual, WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY CHANGES!!! It would also be advisible to get a service manual from Panasonic(only $10-$15US I think) for discriptions on the adjustable controls and what they do.

If your a Sci Fi fan, I would recommend the DVD "Lost in Space" for a good reference to judge your pictures detail and color.

Enjoy!

Tbone
01-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the sites I'll look into them more this weekend, seems to be some good stuff there. Actually I have had my Panny for 2 years already and I have not had any problems with it. The main reason I wanted the disk was becuase there is jsut a little too much red in the picture, been like this since day one. Once again thanks much

kingdaddykeith
01-30-2004, 11:10 AM
I have both, and I prefer the Avia, much better video setup.

Tbone
01-30-2004, 01:00 PM
I have both, and I prefer the Avia, much better video setup.

Thanks KingDaddyKeith, I am going to pick one up see how it works cant hurt

mtrycraft
01-30-2004, 08:40 PM
Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller....lol
I'm fairly new at this high end stuff, got myself a Panasonic 47" HDTV. Wanted to know what video was best at tweaking it, The Avia, or that Digital Home Theater, or both. Any suggestions greatly apprecaited

If you have the digital video interface capability with your DVD player and this new toy, you should do both analog and digital. Digital for the DVD playback and analog for regular TV and vcr viewing. Make sure you enter both calibration into memory.