Yamaha 2500 - Exhaust fan [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 2500 - Exhaust fan

bubslewis
03-06-2006, 02:46 PM
I recently bought a Yamah 2500 A/V receiver. I have noticed that occasionally the internal 2 stage exhaust fan (no mention of this in the user manual) engages, particularly when I'm using the 7 channel stereo mode for music. I would assume that the unit would run a bit hotter when all 7 channels are driving speakers. I use the 7 channel mode for music sometimes, and I tend to play it a bit louder than when I'm watching a movie and employing any of the various other 7 channel options the receiver offers.

I kinda imagined that the Yamaha felt a bit warmer than my previous receivers, even when sitting idle, but I wasn't overly concerned. Is the receiver warning me when the exhaust fan kicks in? How concerned should I be? ( I assume that if theYamaha people put an internal fan in the unit that they must have felt that it was important enough to warrant having one in there.)

thanks,
Bill

GMichael
03-06-2006, 02:58 PM
I recently bought a Yamah 2500 A/V receiver. I have noticed that occasionally the internal 2 stage exhaust fan (no mention of this in the user manual) engages, particularly when I'm using the 7 channel stereo mode for music. I would assume that the unit would run a bit hotter when all 7 channels are driving speakers. I use the 7 channel mode for music sometimes, and I tend to play it a bit louder than when I'm watching a movie and employing any of the various other 7 channel options the receiver offers.

I kinda imagined that the Yamaha felt a bit warmer than my previous receivers, even when sitting idle, but I wasn't overly concerned. Is the receiver warning me when the exhaust fan kicks in? How concerned should I be? ( I assume that if theYamaha people put an internal fan in the unit that they must have felt that it was important enough to warrant having one in there.)

thanks,
Bill

I have had my 2500 for about a year now. I have never heard the fan come on at all no matter how loud I played it. What kind of speakers are you driving?

kexodusc
03-06-2006, 03:02 PM
I have had my 2500 for about a year now. I have never heard the fan come on at all no matter how loud I played it. What kind of speakers are you driving?

Hmm, my RX-V1400 and 5890 made no mention of it..and I don't believe I saw one in there when I cracked it open.
Generally the manual makes mention of the fan in the front pages somewhere.

If the fan is engaging, don't worry. Not the end of the world. I use to push my old rx-v795a hard enough to trip the fan on. It did fine. Might not be a bad idea to cut back on the volume though.
Are you using 4 ohm speakers by chance?

bubslewis
03-06-2006, 04:23 PM
All 4 surround speakers and center channel spkr are 8 ohm. BUT... front speakers are 4 ohms. I had wired 4 ohm resistors in line with them, but was given several logical reasons (from some forum members) that that was not a particularly good idea so I took them off.

Bill

kexodusc
03-06-2006, 04:55 PM
All 4 surround speakers and center channel spkr are 8 ohm. BUT... front speakers are 4 ohms. I had wired 4 ohm resistors in line with them, but was given several logical reasons (from some forum members) that that was not a particularly good idea so I took them off.

Bill
yeah, you'd trade of efficiency for impedance, and could possibly mess up the acoustic slope of the crossover (though I doubt it).
Well, the 4 ohms shouldn't hurt, I drove 4 ohm speakers with it. But if you have 4 ohm mains and 5 other speakers going at decent volumes, well, that's a lot of juice making a lot of heat.

Just make sure the receiver is well ventilated. And do you really need 7 speakers going at once?

If you haven't already, set the speakers to "small" and let the sub handle the bass frequencies...this will relieve the receiver of a tremendous burden. At the very least, the surrounds could be set to small...

I use power amps with my receiver (which has the same power supply as yours). An investment of $100-$150 in a used Adcom, Rotel, NAD, etc amp for the front mains might not be a bad idea for you.

Geoffcin
03-06-2006, 05:15 PM
I use power amps with my receiver (which has the same power supply as yours). An investment of $100-$150 in a used Adcom, Rotel, NAD, etc amp for the front mains might not be a bad idea for you.

I also use a power amp in my HT to drive my mains. It can make a world of difference, especially if the mains are 4ohm and/or have lower sensitivity.
:23:

SlumpBuster
03-06-2006, 08:32 PM
I didn't know the 2500 had a fan. My 1500 sure doesn't. But, I added an exhaust fan to my rack since it encloses everything in glass and wood. Between the reciever and accent lighting it can get pretty warm in there.

I highly recommend adding a two channel amp though, especially if your giving your rig a good workout. I was skeptical of some of the wild claims people make about going with separate amps, until I did it. It can be a pretty inexpensive upgrade. I think $100 to $150 for a used Adcom or Rotel is a bit optimistic, but Kex may have better nose for a deal then me. I've been very pleased with the 20 year old Yamaha M-65 amp I pulled off ebay for $250. 170 watts with first 10 in class A. Now that gets hot. :D I don't think it makes any difference in sound necessarily, but it certainly adds something.

bubslewis
03-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I gave up on using the old 4 ohm speakers altogether. The Yamaha 2500 revealed their age ( bass rattles in 2 of them and low level continuous scratchiness in 1).

I'm now driving 2 front speakers that are self amplified @ 150 watts, with 4 sattelites, center, and self powered sub. AND...... the exhaust fan still activates at times. With self amplified fronts, there really isn't a tremendous load on the Yamaha, so I'm still a little puzzled.

I don't think I have the self amped speakers wired wrong (they have RCA phono type plugs that I plugged into the front left/right pre amp inputs on the Yamaha). Maybe the sensitivity of whatever activates the fan is too tight. Don't know.

thanks,
Bill

HAVIC
03-14-2006, 11:01 AM
There is a fan setting for the RX-V2500, by default it is set to auto and will turn on when needed but you can set it to run all the time if you wanted to. Go into the onscreen menu and if you look around I believe it is in their. If not then I remember reading in the manual there is a way to change the setting.

Also on another website I read a review of the RXV2500 with 4 ohm speakers and the result was to leave the reciever in 8ohm mode and not to run it in the 6 ohm mode. The said that the reciever handled the 4 ohms without any problems, but caused the receiver to run harder, hotter. So the fan kicking in seems to be a good thing and would not worry about it.

Greg