Loud Sub for Music....maybe Titanic MKIII 12"? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Loud Sub for Music....maybe Titanic MKIII 12"?

tik
03-06-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm looking for an accurate yet very loud sub for musical applications only (I want to rattle the house). I want to spend under $800 and I've read some suggestions about the Titanic MKIII. Has anyone had any experience with this...good/bad, what does it sound like? Would you suggest the 12" or 10", or are there any others subs in this range/category that would fit.

jocko_nc
03-06-2006, 02:02 PM
For music, the good guys at PE strongly recommended the Reference Series driver. Other websites didi as well. I have two of them, I can say the sound clarity is outstanding. I always felt my Vandersteen 2Ce's had a clean low-end, albeit limited in volume. They do. However, those reference drivers blow them away. Obviously in volume, but also in detail. They are that good.

Now, you cannot order the Titanic kit with this driver as an option. I tried. However, you can get the all the parts a la carte. I chose to built my own cabinets. I have the 10 inch models, they work well with the Dayton 240 watt plate amp. For a single sub, the best approach would be a 12 inch model with a 500 watt amp. That ought to put out some serious boom, yet sound oh so sweet.

jocko

kexodusc
03-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Yep, if you can swing it the Reference or even Quatro drivers have better sound. But if you need a complete kit, the Titanic is a heckuva package. With your budget, why not get the 15" monster and be done with it. I don't think Dayton makes a bad woofer.

wayner86
03-06-2006, 03:01 PM
I would also consider the Hsu VTF-3 MkII, very well regarded sub on the AVSforums, its in your price range @ ~$700. From what i've read in many reviews it is one of the most musical and accurate subs in the $1000 region.

Hsu site: http://www.hsustore.com/vtf3.html

tik
03-06-2006, 05:27 PM
The HSU VTF-3 MKIII seems like a good option but it is $200 more than the Titanic and I guess my budget wouldn't be that high. I think I might go with the Titanic MKIII 12" and assemble it myself to save a bunch of money. Let's hope I can actually put it together.

kexodusc
03-06-2006, 05:38 PM
The HSU VTF-3 MKIII seems like a good option but it is $200 more than the Titanic and I guess my budget wouldn't be that high. I think I might go with the Titanic MKIII 12" and assemble it myself to save a bunch of money. Let's hope I can actually put it together.
I use to own an earlier VTF-2, great sub, but my parents 12" Titanic is far, far superior. I'm honestly reluctant to believe the HSU VTF-3 would keep up with the Titanic in both sound quality and output.

Putting it together is a piece of cake. Let us know if you have any questions or problems. Pretty sure you won't.