5 Songs For New Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 5 Songs For New Speakers

Mayonnaise
03-06-2006, 07:06 AM
I've got a major speaker upgrade coming tomorrow and thought it would be fun to ask the group what would be the first 5 songs you'd play on the new kit. BTW, my wife won't be home so I can turn it up as loud as I want.

BinFrog
03-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Are we talking Vinyl, CD, SACD, DVD-A??? Rock, classicla, jazz, metal? What are you into and what do you have!?

GMichael
03-06-2006, 10:50 AM
AC/DC: Rock-n-roll ain't noise pollution
Rush: Working man (from All the World's a Stage)
Pink Floyd: Comfortably numb.
Yes: I've Seen all good People.
ELP: Brain Salad Surgery (yes, the whole CD)

Dusty Chalk
03-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Nine Inch Nails, "Wish"
Stabbing Westward, "Sometimes It Hurts" or "Waking Up Beside You" (I like the harmonies on the former)
Holst, "Mars, Bringer of War" -- von Karajan/Berliner Philharmoniker
Vangelis, "Heaven & Hell Pt. 2" (especially that middle section with the operatic vocalist)
Schubert, 2nd Piano Trio in E flat, 4th movement, Finale: Allegro moderato

Jim Clark
03-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Tears For Fears - Women In Chains
Seal - Human Being
Paul Simon- Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes
Stravinsky- Firebird Suite
Pink Floyd - One Of These Days

To get the speakers set up correctly: Rob Wasserman and Jennifer Warnes - Ballad Of The Runaway Horse.

BTW, what speakers did you get?

jc

Mayonnaise
03-06-2006, 03:07 PM
http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=spk_floorstandi&item=k1t30zzzz

-Jar-
03-07-2006, 08:52 AM
I've got a major speaker upgrade coming tomorrow and thought it would be fun to ask the group what would be the first 5 songs you'd play on the new kit. BTW, my wife won't be home so I can turn it up as loud as I want.

Steely Dan - "Black Cow" (Mofi Aja CD - accuracy)
Joy Division - "Atmosphere" (Substance CD - familiarity)
Bad Livers - "Crow Black Chicken" (Delusions of Banjer LP - for the accoustic instruments)
Hum - "If You Are to Bloom" (Downward is Heavenward CD - dense mix)
Massive Attack - "Risingson" (Mezzanine CD - awesome bass)

And one classical: Mahler's 5th, Sinopoli/Philharmonia Orchestra on DG

Then about 100 others. I'm insane when I get new equipement. I haven't gotten a new piece of equipment in over 5 years. I miss that.

-jar

Bernd
03-09-2006, 03:48 AM
My tried and tested are these.

On CD:

Bob Dylan - Things have changed (from "The Wonderboys soundtrack)
The Rainmakers - Different Rub
Nanci Griffith with the London Symphony Orchestra - Trouble in the Fields and Not my way home

On Vinyl:

The Waterboys - Don't bang the Drum (from "This is the Sea")
Stan Ridgeway - Mosquitos
Supertramp - Crime of the Century
Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination

That should do it. Have fun.

Peace

Bernd:16:

Mark111867
03-09-2006, 08:26 AM
My 5 would be:

Jimmy Buffett- Changes In Latitudes Changes In Attitudes
Bill Morrissey- Cold Cold Night
The Band- Acadian Driftwood
Cat Stevens- The Wind
Bill Staines- Chilly Winds

BarryL
03-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Bill Staines?

Who listens to Bill Staines? Who's even heard of Bill Staines?

My kids and I love that children's album he did. I think it was called One More River, and covers about a dozen classic children's tunes that you rarely hear.
I love that rabbit song (Mr Rabbit Mr Rabbit, your ears are might long...), and The Fox song where the fox raids the farmer's chicken coop and then feasts on them with his wife and pups.

The whole thing is very wholesome and the folk/bluegrass arrangements and production are absolutely great, which is what you need with a kids album so that the adults can listen to it too. I've 'probably heard this one about a thousand times, and if I have to reach for an album of kids songs, this is probably the first I go for.

Mark111867
03-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Bill has another children's cd called "The Happy Wanderer". He also has several cd's that are not geared towards kids that are folk. Enjoy.

BarryL
03-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Bill has another children's cd called "The Happy Wanderer". He also has several cd's that are not geared towards kids that are folk. Enjoy.

Thanks for the heads up on The Happy Wanderer.

I have one other CD by him, which I listened to a few times, but it really didn't appeal to me at the time. I should fish it out and give it a fresh listen.

Florian
03-09-2006, 11:16 AM
1. Philip Glass, Kundun Soundtrack
2. M.A Recording - Jiang Ting- The Voice of the PIPA
3. 1812 Overtüre from Deutsche Grammophon