Where to start [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Where to start

ssarm@mac.com
03-05-2006, 07:40 PM
I have a pair of sennheiser hd280 pro headphones that i love. I'm a huge huge music guy. it's time for me to buck up and get a nice speaker system. I don't know that much about what's out there though.

I was hoping you could recommend some stuff for me, give me a place to start. I'm a college student, looking for a serious system. I'm on a college student budget though, so I would only be able to spend $400 the most. What kind of equipment should i be looking at, primarily for listening to music in my bedroom at college and home.

funnyhat
03-05-2006, 10:42 PM
For speakers I would suggest the paradigm atoms, for their price (I think 160-170), they sound really great. The best little speaker I have heard for anywhere near that price, and probably a bit more. Others would probably have good suggestions for an amp and source, I don't know as much about those.

matt39
03-06-2006, 04:31 AM
In affordable speakers in the $200-$400 range there are speakers like the Paradigm Atom and Mini Monitor, Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 1, PSB Alpha and Image B15, B&W DM303 and the Epos ELS3. If you can stretch your budget another 50 bucks you can consider the B&W DM601S3, PSB Image B25 or the KEF iQ3. If you are willing to shop online you might consider some speakers from Ascend Acoustics, Axiom Audio and even Omega. I'm sure I've left some out even with all these. The real point is take your time, do some research and then get some of your own music and do some auditioning. Trust your own impressions the most and make sure when you do make a purchase that you have return privileges. Very often speakers will sound much different when you get them home than they did in the store. The used market is also a possibility but when you're just starting out it is sometimes better to buy new at first, then as you become more experienced and knowledgeable consider used. Well I hope this helps you out and best of luck with whatever you decide.
Gary
P.S. If it were me I'd probably start my auditions with the Paradigm and Epos speakers. They're in your budget and I think they would be very suitable for your room.

Mark111867
03-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Cambridge Soundworks sells refurbished speakers on E-Bay. I bought a pair of Newton M-80's from them for $275.00. They retail new for $500. I would definitely recommend them. I agree that Paradigm might be a very good option. I think that the Titans sound very good for the price. Monitor Audio, Boston Acoustics, Energy & Klipsch are just a few brands that will have some options in your price range. Good luck.

ssarm@mac.com
03-10-2006, 10:17 PM
thanks a lot guys, you've been a big help

for strickly playing music, will speakers be adequate enough on their own? or will I need other equipment that will contribute a huge difference?

N. Abstentia
03-11-2006, 07:56 AM
The Paradigm Atoms are gonna be hard to beat in that price range.