My new purchase findings....... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My new purchase findings.......

orgasmdonor
03-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Once again I would like to thank all that helped me out....My new Harmon Kardon reburb from harmon kardon avr635 receiver is more than I expected. It took me parts of 2 enjoyable days to set this up with my room. You can really tweek it too almost near perfection with all the set up variables. I had to use the ez set up mic three different times before it would consistently read the same room and eq paramaters. No big deal this setup eq WORKS. You do have to tweek decible levels a little because of your room but I only had to change one speaker. Now Harmon has got to be liars on the 75 watts per channel....It is definitely more. I have a 25ft x 25 ft room. I cannot turn this thing up two thirds of the way without my ears giving way. It has beautiful sound and it is EXTREMELY powerful. It definitely has a "warm" sound. The receiver gets hot but not a great deal...it has a fan(hope it works):cornut: The Denon dvd 1920 paired with this receiver was also a positive. I was worried about the 75 watts per channel after never haering a Harman before buying one. I totally recommend this receiver to anyone that wants to start a home theater and this thing has all the flexibility needed for going forward and plenty of BALLS. Eddie thanks for all the input.

EdwardGein
03-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Glad this worked for you. I'd doublecheck to make sure you've programmed both the DVD player & your receiver & that its programmed at the right settings (i.e. after you exited all the settings remained as you intended). How did you connect the DVD player to the receiver. BY Optic or Analogue? If you have both types of cable did you compare to see if there was a difference in sound? As an experiment, if you have your old DVD player, connect it to your receiver & see if there is a difference in sound. Better yet, if you have an optic cable on hand, connect the old DVD player to your receiver. The Oh So Wise Geniouses on this Board claim that you will not detect any difference in the sound quality whatsoever between connecting your old "lousy" DVD player by Optic Cable to your receiver & connecting you new DVD player by Optic to your receiver. I'm on record as telling you, you will notice a big difference in the sound. Lemmy!

kexodusc
03-06-2006, 04:46 AM
The Oh So Wise Geniouses on this Board claim that you will not detect any difference in the sound quality whatsoever between connecting your old "lousy" DVD player by Optic Cable to your receiver & connecting you new DVD player by Optic to your receiver. I'm on record as telling you, you will notice a big difference in the sound. Lemmy!
I'm no genius, but this is interesting. You're hearing a difference? That shouldn't be possible. In both players the data is read and transmitted to the receiver through the optical cable. The processing occurs in the receiver. All the DVD player should be doing is sending data for processing to the receiver. So as long as the 1's and 0's make it through the cable (and they do are you hear nothing) the system is identical in both setups. I can only speculate, but perhaps some audio enhancement setting is on or off in one of the players?
If there is a difference, the new player must be somehow modifying the data stream, giving the receiver's processor more to work with. (or I suppose the old player could be taking something away from the data stream).
If you ask a computer to calculate 2+2 on two separate occassions, the answer will always be 4. This is no different.
Now video could be night and day, but the audio should be the same.

69 camaro SS
03-06-2006, 05:22 AM
Yes Hex, You are a genius. Just kidding, You have been very helpful with all my questions. People , Believe anything Hex says .http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
Smile

JeffKnob
03-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Glad this worked for you. I'd doublecheck to make sure you've programmed both the DVD player & your receiver & that its programmed at the right settings (i.e. after you exited all the settings remained as you intended). How did you connect the DVD player to the receiver. BY Optic or Analogue? If you have both types of cable did you compare to see if there was a difference in sound? As an experiment, if you have your old DVD player, connect it to your receiver & see if there is a difference in sound. Better yet, if you have an optic cable on hand, connect the old DVD player to your receiver. The Oh So Wise Geniouses on this Board claim that you will not detect any difference in the sound quality whatsoever between connecting your old "lousy" DVD player by Optic Cable to your receiver & connecting you new DVD player by Optic to your receiver. I'm on record as telling you, you will notice a big difference in the sound. Lemmy!

I did this very thing when I upgraded from my Panasonic S25 to my Denon 1920. When connected via optical connection there was ABSOLUTELY no difference in sound. My receivers DAC was getting the same bitstream. The video was much better on the Denon though. I did not compare them via analog because I saw no point in connecting my Panasonic via analog. I am sure the DAC in my Yamaha receiver is much better than the one in the Panasonic. I do have the Denon connected via analog as well as digital because it does SACD and DVDA and I won't say it sounds better or worse than when digital; just different because the DAC in the Denon is different than in my Yamaha.

I am interested to know why you even bother to ask questions on here if you feel you know so much more about this stuff than the people on here.

evil__betty
03-06-2006, 09:01 AM
How did you connect the DVD player to the receiver. BY Optic or Analogue? If you have both types of cable did you compare to see if there was a difference in sound? As an experiment, if you have your old DVD player, connect it to your receiver & see if there is a difference in sound.

For crying out loud! Give it a break! You've beaten this dead horse in quite a few different threads! You ask questions, people give you answers. You then refuse to listen to their answers and claim that you're right. Why do you bother asking questions when you refuse to listen to any answers? Now if Orgasmdonor does this and reports back that he hears nothing different between the two, will you call him names and claim that he doesn't know what he is talking about?

musicman1999
03-06-2006, 10:44 AM
donor
glad you are happy with your set-up.What kind of speakers do you use(sorry if it was mentioned earlier,i missed it).Enjoy your setup and remember your ears are the ones that matter.
have fun
bill

EdwardGein
03-06-2006, 11:54 AM
"For crying out loud! Give it a break! You've beaten this dead horse in quite a few different threads! You ask questions, people give you answers. You then refuse to listen to their answers and claim that you're right. Why do you bother asking questions when you refuse to listen to any answers? Now if Orgasmdonor does this and reports back that he hears nothing different between the two, will you call him names and claim that he doesn't know what he is talking about?"- Evil Betty

Blah Blah Blah

orgasmdonor
03-06-2006, 02:58 PM
I do not own any opitcal cables to compare with. To answer an earlier question....If you would like to know what my speakers are just click on my name it should say. I did notice a huge picture clarity difference(sharper and more colorful) in my video with the new Denon 1920. Whatever they put in that Denon really works. As far as the audio side of the Denon I hooked it up with my old Sony str-de595 and it improved the clarity of the audio (hooked up with coax). When I hooked the Denon up to the Harman Kardon (via coax) there was a major difference. Like I have stated in the past the only home theater receiver I have ever owned was this Sony. All these years I have sold myself short. I cannot stress to you how powerful the Harman 635 is. I read the reviews about how good this thing is. I was extremely skepical as usual. I took a shot and bought the machine and it exceeded my expectations which is hard to do. The receiver is the BIATCH when it comes to audio cd's ...it has this logic 7 mode that is really a thing of beauty. The pro logic 2 is also wonderful. The frriggin remote "learning" is going to take me awhile to set up if I want to consolidate remotes. I'll probably continue to use all four remotes like I've done in the past...fug it !! no time for remotes. I will probably get an opitcal cable at some point to try it for myself. Ed thinks that it's the thing to do...I'll try it at a later date and tell you my findings. I have a PS2 sitting around that I can buy an optical for anyway. Ed !!! You may want to sell your 3801 on ebay and pick up one of these Harman Kardon 635's you will not regret it plus you'll have some more up-to-date technologies moving forward.

evil__betty
03-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Spend the extra cash on a Harmony 880. It'll be the best $200 you'll spend on your system and be the icing on the cake. There have been lots of threads on different universal remotes, but Harmony continues to pop up for vaule and performance. It will be able to get rid of all your remotes quite easily.

musicman1999
03-07-2006, 07:30 PM
but dont sell them,you will need them later.

EdwardGein
03-07-2006, 10:07 PM
but dont sell them,you will need them later.

If he's talking about remotes, sorry the answer is no, you will not need them later if you get any Harmony Remote,

musicman1999
03-08-2006, 06:11 AM
yes you will.The harmony has to learn certain functions from the old remotes,what would you do if the harmony was to break,and most important if you want to replace a piece of gear couple years down the road,with no remote the chances of you selling it would be slim.

bill

EdwardGein
03-08-2006, 09:24 AM
In regards to remotes, in general the Harmony will not have to learn anything from your remotes as it programs everything in by computer without having to teach your remote anything but I admit there is always that slight possibility of having to teach your remote something, which Harmony allows. In my particular case, after I programmed things into the Harmony by computer which is the beauty of the Harmony, there were no functions that I needed the "remote" to physically teach the Harmony. As such, I then sold the applicable remotes on Ebay, like the Denon remote for $50. Should I eventually want to sell my Denon receiver on Eby, the fact that there will no longer be a remote to sell with it, will in all likelyhood not cause me not to be able to sell it but will in all likelyhood maybe drop my opening sales price $10 & will cause some but not all people, from bidding on it. You have to weigh what's best for you. I consider $50 in hand better then nothing & having a remote sitting idly in a drawer. If I eventually want to sell the receiver without the remote, I'll still be able to sell it, albeit with possibly less bidders but for a negligble loss in price.

musicman1999
03-08-2006, 12:27 PM
ed

you did better than i did with my harmony,i needed to teach mine 15-20 buttons.Some of my gear had a very limited button list with harmony,took me some time to get it as i wanted.By the way iu would never buy a used piece of gear with no remote.

thanks
bill

musicman1999
03-08-2006, 12:27 PM
ed

you did better than i did with my harmony,i needed to teach mine 15-20 buttons.Some of my gear had a very limited button list with harmony,took me some time to get it as i wanted.By the way iu would never buy a used piece of gear with no remote.

thanks
bill

EdwardGein
03-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah, even though this might sound hypocritical, I also would never buy a piece of equipment without a remote, either. Once I had the remote though & was able to put everything into my Harmony via the computer, I'd sell the remote if I could get $25 or more for it. Under that amount, it really serves no purpose for me to sell it. Maybe I've been fortunate, but I haven't had to teach my Harmony with any of my remotes. If I had, I definately wouldn't sell them either, like you said. The only remotes I'd sell, to better clarify my original statement, were ones I didn't need for "teaching" & could get at least $25 for. In response to selling used equipment, particularly on Ebay, without a remote, while I agree it will cost you potential bidders (including someone like myself), there are enough desperate people (fortunately if you are a seller, unfortunately if you are a bidder) to bid things up even if equipment is missing a remote. I have constantly witnessed on Ebay, people buy something used for over $150 that's maybe $20 less then they could buy new with a warranty or even in many cases people buying something that they can find online new for alot cheaper price then they are bidding on Ebay. My all time favorite & it happened in the last few weeks is some fool got into a bidding war over commercial sheet music for Bobby Fuller's 'I Fought the Law" that if he had checked on previous completed Ebay auctions went for $5 -$20, in fact the listing before went unsold at $20 & this sucker bid $85 for it.

topspeed
03-08-2006, 04:42 PM
I did notice a huge picture clarity difference(sharper and more colorful) in my video with the new Denon 1920. Whatever they put in that Denon really works. It's a Faroudja chipset, well known for its picture quality...as well as macroblocking on certain displays :p.
As far as the audio side of the Denon I hooked it up with my old Sony str-de595 and it improved the clarity of the audio (hooked up with coax).Compared to what? Your old dvd/cd player? Are you saying you are using digital coax? If so, I find it very interesting that you hear a difference between your old cdp and the Denon considering you are still using the Sony's dacs. I'm not trying to call you out on this, I'm just curious.
When I hooked the Denon up to the Harman Kardon (via coax) there was a major difference.Again, compared to what? If you are comparing it to the Sony, then I don't doubt it for one minute. Better dacs, better amps. Sony AVR's are pretty horrid for SQ IMO. Any time you compare anything, it's important to use an spl meter to verifiy sound levels. It's human nature to perceive increased volume as better sound and different equipment may have different gain levels that could skew your opinion.

Glad to hear you're happy with your new gear. Enjoy the music!

accastil
03-08-2006, 07:25 PM
very good choice donor! congratulations and enjoy the sound of HK. hopefully youd get to partner it with a really good speaker too. try paradigm 20s.