Pcm [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pcm

Mayonnaise
03-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Could someone tell me, or refer me to a link, what PCM Stereo is and why I should use it on some of my music DVDs.

Thanks

musicman1999
03-04-2006, 08:37 AM
i believe the bit rate is the most important difference,other than the fact that pcm is only 2 channel.dd 5.1 has 384kb spread over the 6 channels,pcm has 768kb for each of its 2 channels,so better sound.if i have the numbers wrong please correct me.
also pcm stereo is not the same as dd2.0.
if you have the option on a concert dvd give it a try.
thanks
bill

Dusty Chalk
03-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Yeah, what he said.

To reiterate in my own words, PCM is the equivalent of uncompressed. But as musicman1999 alluded to, total overall bitrate is still important. So, for example, 24/96 stereo PCM is better than 16/44.1 stereo PCM, but as long as you stay in the stereo realm, neither provide multichannel capability (I believe you only get that when you got to DVD-A; I'm not sure if DVD-V provides a PCM multichannel option).

Hyfi
03-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Pulse Code Modulation: (PCM) a way to convert sound or analog information to binary information (0s and 1s) by taking samples of the sound and record the resulting number as binary information. Used on all CDs, DVD-Audio, and just about every other digital audio format. It can sometimes be found on DVD-Video.