Yamaha rx2500 and Yamaha rx 2600 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha rx2500 and Yamaha rx 2600

viscera912
03-03-2006, 11:21 AM
hello everyone,

i am trying to figure out if I want to buy the 2500 or 2600, is the main difference the HDMI and upconversions? would it be profitable to go with the 2600 or just save some money and go with the 2500. some people are telling me to go with the 2600 because its newer and has the newer bells/whistles. im planning on getting axiom epic 80 speakers, which receiver would be best? thanks everyone!!

jason

GMichael
03-03-2006, 11:30 AM
hello everyone,

i am trying to figure out if I want to buy the 2500 or 2600, is the main difference the HDMI and upconversions? would it be profitable to go with the 2600 or just save some money and go with the 2500. some people are telling me to go with the 2600 because its newer and has the newer bells/whistles. im planning on getting axiom epic 80 speakers, which receiver would be best? thanks everyone!!

jason

The main difference would be the HDMI and upconversions as you stated. Those are the new bells & whistles. Either will drive your Epic 80's about the same, if not exactly the same. I wouldn't spend the extra money for the 2600 myself. But only you can decide what means the most to you.

kexodusc
03-03-2006, 12:25 PM
The main difference would be the HDMI and upconversions as you stated. Those are the new bells & whistles. Either will drive your Epic 80's about the same, if not exactly the same. I wouldn't spend the extra money for the 2600 myself. But only you can decide what means the most to you.

Well said. Unless you absolutely need HDMI for whatever reason right now, I think you'd be best off to leave that for your next receiver, whenever that may be. Sound/feature wise, these are pretty much the same in all other aspects. You save a few hundred bucks on the 2500 though.
I was tempted to go that route, but I decided just to run and HDMI cable straight from my HD cable box to my TV set and bypass the receiver. The only thing I lose out on is the opportunity to clear out about 12 cables behind my a/v rack. Tempting, but not worth $300-$400 right now.

viscera912
03-04-2006, 04:52 PM
thanks for the replies. if what i am understanding is correct, it would be a better idea to go with the 2500. however, if my tv is HDMI would it be better if i just got the 2600 and it would take care of some cables and sorta be up to date on the technology for today? kexodusc stated that I could get another receiver in the future to suffice these needs but I was kinda hoping that the receiver I buy now would be one to last a long time and still give me good HT/audio experience. i would love to save the money and go for the 2500, but im kinda thinking that if my tv is HDMI and that is where the industry is going, perhaps it would be better to just go spend 400 bucks more and get the 2600. the thing that concerns me is that there hasn't been many reviews of the 2600 and the 2500 is something that has been tried tested and true, so mercy, i guess ill just look at my budget and go spend the extra money i save with getting the 2500 and spend it on better cables!!! thanks ya'll

jason

kexodusc
03-05-2006, 06:49 AM
I can't predict the future, but I'm guessing by the time HDMI is the industry standard (if it does stick), the version of HDMI used will be a bit different than the one the Yamaha has. I don't know if that'll matter or not. Not to mention when HD-DVD and BluRay do get their acts together, there's suppose to be all kinds of new Dolby, DTS, and other sound formats for receivers to handle.
Why not just run the HDMI straight to your TV set though? By pass the receiver. It might preserve signal quality that way anyway. That way your current receiver is more than adequate for the future.

Geoffcin
03-05-2006, 07:52 AM
I can't predict the future, but I'm guessing by the time HDMI is the industry standard (if it does stick), the version of HDMI used will be a bit different than the one the Yamaha has. I don't know if that'll matter or not. Not to mention when HD-DVD and BluRay do get their acts together, there's suppose to be all kinds of new Dolby, DTS, and other sound formats for receivers to handle.
Why not just run the HDMI straight to your TV set though? By pass the receiver. It might preserve signal quality that way anyway. That way your current receiver is more than adequate for the future.

The physical aspect of HDMI cabling is set, only the exact protocol for the wiring might be changed depending on the rev level. Yamaha knew this when they included HDMI into the 2600, so there's probably provions somewhere for a Firmware upgrade.

The 4600, although another step up the $$$ ladder, also provides for
HD-Radio. Something that I think we will all want in the future.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio/500/0yamaha_receiver.jpg

GMichael
03-05-2006, 03:13 PM
The physical aspect of HDMI cabling is set, only the exact protocol for the wiring might be changed depending on the rev level. Yamaha knew this when they included HDMI into the 2600, so there's probably provions somewhere for a Firmware upgrade.

The 4600, although another step up the $$$ ladder, also provides for
HD-Radio. Something that I think we will all want in the future.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio/500/0yamaha_receiver.jpg

Go big or go away?

Geoffcin
03-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Go big or go away?

It's just that with HD radio hitting the airwaves, it might be a good choice to wait until they put it into the next receiver versions.