Musical Fidelity A5 v. kW 500? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Musical Fidelity A5 v. kW 500?

gsibble
03-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Hello everyone! I'm planning on getting myself on hell of a setup. From the reviews I've read, I think I'm going to get some Paradigm Reference Studio 100s and use either a Musical Fidelity A5 or kW 500 to drive them.

How would you compare these two amps? Is the kW 500 worth three times the price? Thanks!

-G

PS: Sources will be turntable, SACD, and CD. All very high quality players.

Feanor
03-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Hello everyone! I'm planning on getting myself on hell of a setup. From the reviews I've read, I think I'm going to get some Paradigm Reference Studio 100s and use either a Musical Fidelity A5 or kW 500 to drive them.

How would you compare these two amps? Is the kW 500 worth three times the price? Thanks!

-G

The Studio 100's are reasonably efficient and should play as loud as your ever want to play them in a medium - large room with the A5. The A5 has 250 watts/channel whereas the the kw500 has 500 watts/ch. The latter's power is totally unnecessary for the Paradigms. I haven't heard either, but some might say that the kw500 might a bit more refined sound. The difference, if any, will be exceedingly small: nothing to warrant 3x the price.

Geoffcin
03-02-2006, 04:54 PM

-G

Save your $$$. I like MF gear, and I also have the A3cr, a very good amp indeed!