What is the best way to connect these components? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to connect these components?

blackcoil
03-01-2006, 12:22 PM
What is the best way to connect these audio components?

I just bought an intro home theater system. It includes an LG 32" LCD HDTV with HDMI, a Yamaha HTR-5840 6.1 surround receiver, two Klipsch Synergy F-1 speakers, and a Sony DVP-NS70H DVD/CD player with HDMI. (In a few weeks I will be completing the system with Klipsch sub, center, and surround speakers.)

In order to get the BEST quality out of this combination, how should I connect everything? All my cables and wiring are top of the line Monster cables.

I currently have the HDMI from the TV to the DVD directly since the receiver doesn't do HDMI. I then have a coax from the DVD to the receiver, and a fiber from the TV to the receiver.

1. Is this going to give me the best possible sound for what I have right now, or should I reconfigure it a bit?

2. Is fiber or coax better?

3. When I turn on my DVD and receiver to play a CD, I also have to turn on the TV. When I turn on the TV though, it doesn't see the DVD player until I force the menu to choose HDMI as a primary output. Is there any way to make the DVD visible to the TV by default?

Thanks,
Francesco

GMichael
03-01-2006, 12:53 PM
What is the best way to connect these audio components?

Best is not the same for everyone.

I just bought an intro home theater system. It includes an LG 32" LCD HDTV with HDMI, a Yamaha HTR-5840 6.1 surround receiver, two Klipsch Synergy F-1 speakers, and a Sony DVP-NS70H DVD/CD player with HDMI. (In a few weeks I will be completing the system with Klipsch sub, center, and surround speakers.)

I have the same receiver in my bedroom.

In order to get the BEST quality out of this combination, how should I connect everything? All my cables and wiring are top of the line Monster cables.

Monster is is little expensive but plenty for your system.

I currently have the HDMI from the TV to the DVD directly since the receiver doesn't do HDMI. I then have a coax from the DVD to the receiver, and a fiber from the TV to the receiver.

Sounds good so far.

1. Is this going to give me the best possible sound for what I have right now, or should I reconfigure it a bit?

Best would cost more than your whole system. What you have is more than good enough though.

2. Is fiber or coax better?

About the same.

3. When I turn on my DVD and receiver to play a CD, I also have to turn on the TV. When I turn on the TV though, it doesn't see the DVD player until I force the menu to choose HDMI as a primary output. Is there any way to make the DVD visible to the TV by default?

Not exactly sure on this.

Thanks,
Francesco[/QUOTE]

Welcome to AR. I am sure more qualified members will be along shortly to help out.

edtyct
03-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Traditionally, as you probably know, you wouldn't have to turn on your TV in order for the receiver to recognize the DVD player. The problem is that HDMI, as a carrier of both audio and video, is forcing the TV into the mix, since the TV is the receptacle for the HDMI connection. In other words, without the TV, the DVD player's HDMI output isn't reading anywhere for its audio to go. Luckily, however, the Sony, unlike some players, permits a coax or toslink digital cable to carry the audio simultaneously, once the HDMI locates what it perceives as its rightful audio target. In this prolonged transitional period, little inconveniences like this one are going to be the norm.

Rather than trying to make the TV see the DVD player by default, maybe the Sony's "Custom" menu option has a setting that allows both HDMI for video and a separate digital output for audio to be enabled at the same time. I don't remember. It might allow you to listen to music without getting the TV involved. If that doesn't work, and the TV won't hold a default HDMI setting, you might have to disable the HDMI on the DVD player when you play CDs.

Ed