Modifying AR.Com Cabinet [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Modifying AR.Com Cabinet

SilverJS
02-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Hi all,

After months (litterally, trust me) of deliberation, I have decided that the best course of action for me would be to incorporate side-firing subs in the bottom part of a tower enclosure for AR.Coms. However, even with 1" MDF, the depth is only 9.75". This leaves me only with 8" subs...a few out there are available (Ascendant Audio Assassin 8, ApexJr 8), but I would much prefer using 10". I am still undecided as to go with one or two sub drivers per enclosure (depending, of course, on space available below the AR.Com's proper), but I would much prefer 2 (or 4) tens. Price is not an object (within reason), but sound quality is. I will be doing 50/50 music and movies, so I want tight bass (hence the desire for sealed) but also DEPTH for movies.

But in any case, I would like to request this forum's help on modifying the AR.com's cabinet to extend the depth. I figure 11.5 inches should give me enough clearance to use pretty much all 10's out there. (The Dayton RS 10 Hi-Fi is the one I had my eye on, although the Hi-Output one may be required because of space constraints.) So, can this be done without affecting the sound of the AR.Com's? If so, how? I would LOVE a slimmer baffle (I think this looks cool), and I suppose reducing the height of the interior compartment wouldn't be a big deal (and wouldn't be apparent from the outside of my intended design anyways), but what about the port and its distance from the drivers? What about its length?

Thanks a million!

P.S. - Of course, if I am told that 4 eight-inchers will give me all the bass I could want (LOW bass for movies, remember), that will be the simplest solution and will negate my original question.

kexodusc
02-28-2006, 06:51 PM
You could extend the depth of the cabinet to 11.5" or so and build a "dummy chamber" in the upper speaker part. The idea here being you preserve the internal volume for the Peerless woofer.

Four 10" subs isn't what you want. I doubt you'd fit them into the towers anyway.

For the subwoofer part of the tower, you could angle a side or two to fit a 12" if you really want. The cabinet doesn't have be square.

SilverJS
02-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Kex,

I included an image; is this what you mean for me to do? (This is viewing my potential enclosure from the side.)

I thought about doing that, but my only concern was the rear port for the AR.coms...where would it exit?

- JSB

P.S. - Why would I not want four subwoofer drivers? Wouldn't sharing the load be best?

kexodusc
03-01-2006, 05:52 AM
Kex,

I included an image; is this what you mean for me to do? (This is viewing my potential enclosure from the side.)

I thought about doing that, but my only concern was the rear port for the AR.coms...where would it exit?

- JSB

P.S. - Why would I not want four subwoofer drivers? Wouldn't sharing the load be best?
That's exactly it. You could also leave the top part so that it isn't as deep as the bottom.
The port is easy...it remains the same length from outside to inside...it'll just not stick out as far inside the cabinet as originally designed...no worries there.

Adding a 2nd sub to each enclosure presents too many problems. 1st, the volume of the cabinets is probably insufficient for most 10" woofers. Maybe 8" woofers could be doubled, but why bother. 2nd the cost will soar. You'll need twice the amplifiers. You can't connect the woofers in series because that would cut your power in half...you can't run them in parallel because the impedance would be too low...so you'll need a very expensive amp, or 2 cheaper ones. No point.

I just finished building a design with an 8" sub in each tower...dual 8" subs works great...low extension and lots of output. You can probably find it in this forum, posted it maybe a month ago now.

SilverJS
03-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Well, I plan on using a Behringer pro audio amp, so it'll be external (no concerns about the internal room it'll take), and be able to power both channels, at up to 2 ohms, so that's not a concern...

So what do I do? =)

Options as I see them :

1 8" driver per side;
2 8" driver per side;
1 10" driver per side;
2 10" driver per side.

The 2 10s are probably out given internal space. Assassin 8's, however, only require 0.6 cu. ft. From my rough calculations, it looks like I could easily have enough interior room to house 2 of them...

kexodusc
03-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Well, I plan on using a Behringer pro audio amp, so it'll be external (no concerns about the internal room it'll take), and be able to power both channels, at up to 2 ohms, so that's not a concern...

So what do I do? =)

Options as I see them :

1 8" driver per side;
2 8" driver per side;
1 10" driver per side;
2 10" driver per side.

The 2 10s are probably out given internal space. Assassin 8's, however, only require 0.6 cu. ft. From my rough calculations, it looks like I could easily have enough interior room to house 2 of them...

I'm all for keeping things simple. Two 10" drivers will provide plenty of bass, reduce complications, and perform almost as well as 4 8" drivers...maybe even as well or better depending on the actual models.

Keep it simple, SilverJS