Myryad MCD200 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Myryad MCD200

nightflier
02-28-2006, 04:47 PM
I was wondering if anyone had auditioned this player? I did a search on this forum for it but came up empty. I found one second-hand that seems like a good deal, but will it be an improvement over a Cambridge Audio 640C (I am giving this to my father). Are there better second-hand players out there around the $600 price-point?

It will be mated to a Plinius pre, MF DAC & PSAudio amp.

musicoverall
03-01-2006, 05:40 AM
I was wondering if anyone had auditioned this player? I did a search on this forum for it but came up empty. I found one second-hand that seems like a good deal, but will it be an improvement over a Cambridge Audio 640C (I am giving this to my father). Are there better second-hand players out there around the $600 price-point?

It will be mated to a Plinius pre, MF DAC & PSAudio amp.

If it has the same sonic signature as the 100 and 500 models, it will sound nice and round but a bit soft at the frequency extremes. I have not heard the 200, however.

But it appears you are going to plug it into a DAC so I can't imagine it would have any kind of sound of its own. I've read that transports can sound different but I've not found any personal evidence of that. Suffice it to say that the Myryad's I've heard had soft sounding DAC's. As a transport only, I'm not sure that will hold.

nightflier
03-01-2006, 02:57 PM
If it has the same sonic signature as the 100 and 500 models, it will sound nice and round but a bit soft at the frequency extremes. I have not heard the 200, however.

But it appears you are going to plug it into a DAC so I can't imagine it would have any kind of sound of its own. I've read that transports can sound different but I've not found any personal evidence of that. Suffice it to say that the Myryad's I've heard had soft sounding DAC's. As a transport only, I'm not sure that will hold.

I should probably have clarified:

The dac is the X-Can model and I am actually borrowing the unit to see how it will compare to my Aragon dac and whatever cdp I end up getting. Truth be told, I like neither dac from a cosmetic standpoint (either too wide/narrow, akward controls, obnoxious cable connectors, etc.) but I have not compared them sound-wise. I also don't like the fact that they don't have balanced outs, something the Plinius and amp do have. Maybe it's just a nagging, but I'd like to believe that if I'm using balanced between the latter two, I should also use that from the dac/cdp and the pre.

I can say that the Azur cdp sounded pretty good with the Aragon dac. I'm not opposed to buying another Azur, but I would really like to hear what else there is out there in this price/performance region. I've heard good things about Jolida and several others, but Myryad was a little off the beaten track for me, hence the post.

musicoverall
03-02-2006, 08:06 AM
I should probably have clarified:

The dac is the X-Can model and I am actually borrowing the unit to see how it will compare to my Aragon dac and whatever cdp I end up getting. Truth be told, I like neither dac from a cosmetic standpoint (either too wide/narrow, akward controls, obnoxious cable connectors, etc.) but I have not compared them sound-wise. I also don't like the fact that they don't have balanced outs, something the Plinius and amp do have. Maybe it's just a nagging, but I'd like to believe that if I'm using balanced between the latter two, I should also use that from the dac/cdp and the pre.

I can say that the Azur cdp sounded pretty good with the Aragon dac. I'm not opposed to buying another Azur, but I would really like to hear what else there is out there in this price/performance region. I've heard good things about Jolida and several others, but Myryad was a little off the beaten track for me, hence the post.

But my comments on the Myryad should be taken as a complete unit with the CDP's dac being used. I never used it as a transport only.

nightflier
03-03-2006, 09:40 AM
As I said, I like neither of the DACs very much, so if I were to do w/o them what's out there in the used/$600 price range that's a step up from the Cambridge Audio cdp? I know I've mentioned before that I like a warm sound, but this setup has a different purpose and I'm looking for a revealing player with excellent seperation & soundstaging.

I've been told that the Myryad is not that player, by the way, so any other recommendations?

nightflier
03-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Well I decided to purchase an Audio Refinement CD Complete. I figured with the YBA family name, it should be pretty good. It should arrive in a few days and I can't wait to hear it. I know it won't be as revealing and analytical as the CA Azur, but it is supposed to have great soundstaging and depth, which are two other qualities I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help. If anyone has any other thoughts, feel free to add them to the thread.