best budget speaker under 2k? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : best budget speaker under 2k?

funnyhat
02-28-2006, 11:20 AM
It seems that the paradigm studio 20 is the popular pick for budget speaker under a grand, I was wondering if there is a similar crowd pleaser in the under 2K range? Any thoughts appreciated!

paul_pci
02-28-2006, 11:27 AM
It seems that the paradigm studio 20 is the popular pick for budget speaker under a grand, I was wondering if there is a similar crowd pleaser in the under 2K range? Any thoughts appreciated!

Are you just looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers? If so, there are plenty to consider, such as Totem Rainmaker, B&W 601 or 602, Dynaudio Audience 52 or 52se, Vienna Acoustics Hayden, and plenty of others I've never heard of.

GMichael
02-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Here are a few to try....

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=10906&highlight=bang

funnyhat
02-28-2006, 12:09 PM
does limiting it to bookshelf models narrow it down?

drseid
02-28-2006, 01:52 PM
If we are talking new mini-monitors, then I would say the Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitors at $1825/pr. (although frequently sold for $1600/pr.) are my choice (no surprise there)...

Others that I also liked quite a bit are the Spendor Classic Series 3/1P ($1800/pr.) and the Ellis Audio 1801B ($1600/pr.).

---Dave

Glen B
02-28-2006, 02:13 PM

The Monitor Audio RS6 just got an excellent review in the latest issue of Stereophile. If I were in the market for any speaker under $2K, I would seriously consider auditioning the RS6.
http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products/silver/rs_series/rs6.htm

speakeroligist_38
02-28-2006, 02:49 PM
I would have to agree with Dr Seid and recommend the Taylo Reference Monitors. I have had the opportunity to hear them first hand at Tyler Acoustics and w/o a doubt they were incredible sounding. If I had that much money to spend (2k) I would have to own a set of Taylos. The Linbrook Sigs are even better but are $3200 a set and IMHO worth every penny of it.

paul_pci
02-28-2006, 03:46 PM

Well, of course it narrows it down, but consider this: you will probably get a "better" bookshelf speaker for that budget as a category than you can get a floorstander for that money as a cateogory of speaker. In other words, $2k will buy you a number of floorstanders, but they won't be nearly as good within that category as the same budget in the bookshelf category.

Caveat edit: floorstanders have more bass, of course, than bookshelf models.

Florian
02-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I don't really know the price, but i think the used VMPS 626R is in that area, and is fanatastic!

topspeed
02-28-2006, 05:04 PM
I thought you had a bad experience with VMPS?

RGA
02-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Do you want a crowd pleaser or a speaker that you will like? That's not always the same.

What kind of music do you listen to - what do you want it to do? Music or home theater or both.

Some good suggestions are out there so far. But it will depend on your room your tastes as well. If for example you were going to listen in a smallmedium room and listen in the nearfield I might suggest the PMC TB 2. If you liked a smoother relaxing speaker I might suggest the Gershman Acoustics X-1.

But the best thing is to use your own two ears listen to as MUCH as you humanly can -- not just those that get endless press inserts in every magazine. You may be very pleasantly surprised at what lurks in relative obscurity.

accastil
03-01-2006, 04:28 AM
youll never go wrong with the paradigm studio 20

Florian
03-01-2006, 05:25 AM
I thought you had a bad experience with VMPS?Oh yes, the RM30 is awfull..But the 626 model is quite good actually and will most definetly comepete with all others named here. I suggest he check it out, their is a audition list on audiocircle.com

;-)

Feanor
03-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Otherwise there is a huge consituency that would say that the Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's are the best <$2k speakers.

But these are by no means "bookshelf", plus a couple other caveats pertain to these planar speakers.

GMichael
03-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Has anyone tried the KEF Q11's?

Pat D
03-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Paradigm Signature S2. It's really a first class monitor speaker. It's definitely on my short list for my next speaker purchase--and it's a very short list. Here's some links to some reviews:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/paradigm_signature_s2.htm

http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/705paradigm/

There's some other speakers I would like to audition under good circumstances--notably the PSB Platinum M2, but I haven't heard them under good circumstances. They are also more expensive.

I am not concentrating on larger speakers because I have a good subwoofer.

funnyhat
03-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all tips so far. Right now this is just wishful thinking, but I hope to some day upgrade from my studio 20's (which I do love) to a more highend bookshelf. I know there is a similar thread right now, but I am wondering how people feel on the tyler acoustic reference monitor vs. N805 vs. Signature 2. Any ideas greatly appreciated. If it matters I listen primarily to classical music.

drseid
03-03-2006, 10:38 AM
As an owner of the Taylos this will sound highly suspicious, but...

I have heard all three and quite frankly it was not even close to my ears. The Taylos are faster, have better resolution, higher quality bass, midrange and highs and have far better drivers, crossover components and overall build quality than the other two (not to imply the others build quality isn't also good). Classical is my music of choice as well, BTW (but I also listen to a lot of female vocals like Allison Krauss and Union Station and Fiona Apple). After the Taylos out of the other two, I would probably go with the S2s (I am not a big fan of the N805s).

A better comparison IMO would be the Taylos against something like the Ellis 1801Bs, Spendor 3.1Ps, or Green Mountain Audio Callistos in no particular order. These are all good competitors to the Taylos, and would give them a very good competition (they all are superb mini-monitors, IMO... I prefer the Taylos, but could definitely see someone going with any one of them in the 2.2K/pr. new or less range, depending on their tastes).

---Dave

46minaudio
03-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Ya may want to give these a try.Dannie Richie of GR Research designed them.
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=82.1

drseid
03-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Ya may want to give these a try.Dannie Richie of GR Research designed them.
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=82.1
I don't know if they are the "best" under 2K/pr., but under *$200* they seem like they would be tough to beat on value for the money... Dannie Richie knows how to squeeze out every ounce of performance possible from a budget design, no doubt. They kind of remind me of his AV-1 design, but with a better cabinet...

---Dave

Mike Anderson
03-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Otherwise there is a huge consituency that would say that the Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's are the best <$2k speakers.

Constituent reporting for duty.