Best recording (on CD) of Wish You Were Here? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best recording (on CD) of Wish You Were Here?

Kaboom
02-28-2006, 08:38 AM
So i own (besides 6 or 7 vinyl copies) a 1992 digital remaster of Wish You Were Here. i'm, however, wondering if there's a better option out there.
cheers!

Dave_G
02-28-2006, 10:18 AM
This was also pressed on "1/2 speed master" lp several years ago...

Not sure if an "audiophile" version exists on cd (MFSL, DCC, et al)

Good album, tho.

Dave

emaidel
02-28-2006, 10:46 AM
The LP version of this, and also of "Dark Side of the Moon" which I owned became so noisy as to become downright unlistenable. I have no idea why that happened, other than poor quality vinyl, and that's only a guess. I've been thorougly satisfied with the sound of the CD's of both, largely due to the total absense of all that noise.

One thing of interest that, I suspect, most folks aren't aware of: during the heyday of quadraphonic sound, DSOTM was released in the SQ format, and was one of the finest examples of quadraphonic engineering I'd ever heard. The alarm clocks ringing from each of the four cornes of the room for the "Money" number will remain forever entrenched as the ultimate quad demo.

Dusty Chalk
02-28-2006, 02:53 PM
There is a "Master Sound" version from Columbia on gold disk that is mastered using SBM.

Hawkeye
02-28-2006, 07:11 PM
And don't forget, the Guthrie-mixed MC SACD version of WYWH is due out by the end of the year.

MasterCylinder
03-01-2006, 05:55 AM
I have a Japanese mini-LP remaster that is flawless.

BinFrog
03-01-2006, 08:39 AM
And don't forget, the Guthrie-mixed MC SACD version of WYWH is due out by the end of the year.

I hope that's still true. I have not heard any updates about it (or Animals on SACD) since news broke well over a year ago.

Hawkeye
03-01-2006, 09:56 AM
I hope that's still true. I have not heard any updates about it (or Animals on SACD) since news broke well over a year ago.http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/ Lists it under "Upcoming Events/Releases" as unconfirmed for 3Q 2006.

Dusty Chalk
03-02-2006, 12:12 AM
Yeah, it was delayed, but not forgotten.