Record Cleaning Fluid Recipe Please [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Record Cleaning Fluid Recipe Please

Gav_2000
02-28-2006, 06:19 AM
In the past I have made some record cleaning fluid using distilled water, alcohol and a photo wetting agent called PhotoFlo. I'm sure I got the recipe off this forum but can'y find it now. Does anyone know what proportions of these ingredients make a good record cleaning fluid?

Cheers,

Gav.

Swerd
02-28-2006, 11:05 AM
In the past I have made some record cleaning fluid using distilled water, alcohol and a photo wetting agent called PhotoFlo. I'm sure I got the recipe off this forum but can'y find it now. Does anyone know what proportions of these ingredients make a good record cleaning fluid?3 quarts distilled or deionized water
1 quart isopropyl alcohol (70% or 91% are both OK, but don't use rubbing alcohol)
3-4 drops per gallon Kodak Photoflo

The water alcohol mixture will disolve most greasy residue like fingerprints and suspend the insoluble dust and debris.

Photoflo is a non-ionoic detergent that leaves a very thin uncharged layer on the record that helps reduce the static electric charge that can accumulate on vinyl or photographic negatives when they dry. Photoflo can be found on the internet and in the few remaining photography stores that stock photographic developing chemicals.

If you can't find Photoflo, substitute other non-ionic detergents such as Triton X-100, Triton X-110, Triton X-115, Monolan 2000, NP-40, Micro or Liquinox (laboratory glassware cleaning detergents), or Ivory dishwashing liquid. A few drops go a long way.

Gav_2000
02-28-2006, 12:14 PM
3 quarts distilled or deionized water
1 quart isopropyl alcohol (70% or 91% are both OK, but don't use rubbing alcohol)
3-4 drops per gallon Kodak Photoflo

The water alcohol mixture will disolve most greasy residue like fingerprints and suspend the insoluble dust and debris.

Photoflo is a non-ionoic detergent that leaves a very thin uncharged layer on the record that helps reduce the static electric charge that can accumulate on vinyl or photographic negatives when they dry. Photoflo can be found on the internet and in the few remaining photography stores that stock photographic developing chemicals.

If you can't find Photoflo, substitute other non-ionic detergents such as Triton X-100, Triton X-110, Triton X-115, Monolan 2000, NP-40, Micro or Liquinox (laboratory glassware cleaning detergents), or Ivory dishwashing liquid. A few drops go a long way.

Thanks for the recipe Swerd. I have the ingredients all ready but couldn't remember the proportions. This mixture has worked well for me before with a variety of ebay and 2nd hard record purchases.