audiophile hopeful [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : audiophile hopeful

still_runnin
02-27-2006, 01:23 PM
First post - hey everyone

OK guys, heres the deal. I work at Best Buy and I get an insane discount on the Klipsch synergy system. I was thinkin about a pair of F2's, the C2, the a pair of S2's along with the sub-10. I get these all for about 60-70% off retail with my employee discount. Sadly, being from North Dakota, Ive never heard anything better than these. I am thinking about purchasing this system to hold me over for a decade until I'm 30 and have a real job to purchase real audio equipment. I am not interested in dropping over a grand on audio equipment, I am interested in dropping a grand in audio equipment that retails for much more. I do not have a ton of money right now so I am looking at this more of an investment. Im moving to a different state for med school in a year so moving these things is going to be punishment enough. Do any of you think it is worth it, or should I just buy a nice pair of Sennheisers with an amp and call it good. I also know you guys play with much nicer toys so I was wonder if any of you have heard these speakers. Thanks a lot guys.

Mike

Jim Clark
02-27-2006, 02:55 PM
If that's what you can get and that's gonna keep you happy, why not. My stuff blows in the minds of some whether they have more money to blow on audio or not.

I'd suggest seeing if you can special order anything else from the Klipsch line at a similar discount. If you can I'd suggest looking at the RF line.

Another idea is to buy used. If you like the sound of Klipsch speakers you can check out Audiogon for some really good deals. For example there is a pair of Klipsch KG 5.2's availbable for sale from a guy in Omaha for a measly 295.00. IMO, these will be better than anything in the synergy line and would easily be a speaker you could keep for 10 years. Of course I happen to own speakers in that line and view them quite favorably. There is also a pair of Forte II's for 400 and those are pretty solid as well. If you aren't averse to buying used, then a whole new world opens up and IMO, you can get some pretty special speakers for not a lot of dough. I saved over 1,500 on my speakers and couldn't be happier.

Study hard,
jc

Geoffcin
02-27-2006, 03:02 PM
First post - hey everyone

OK guys, heres the deal. I work at Best Buy and I get an insane discount on the Klipsch synergy system. I was thinkin about a pair of F2's, the C2, the a pair of S2's along with the sub-10. I get these all for about 60-70% off retail with my employee discount. Sadly, being from North Dakota, Ive never heard anything better than these. I am thinking about purchasing this system to hold me over for a decade until I'm 30 and have a real job to purchase real audio equipment. I am not interested in dropping over a grand on audio equipment, I am interested in dropping a grand in audio equipment that retails for much more. I do not have a ton of money right now so I am looking at this more of an investment. Im moving to a different state for med school in a year so moving these things is going to be punishment enough. Do any of you think it is worth it, or should I just buy a nice pair of Sennheisers with an amp and call it good. I also know you guys play with much nicer toys so I was wonder if any of you have heard these speakers. Thanks a lot guys.

Mike

And don't worry what anyone else thinks. Forget about using the things during med school though. Your going to be way to busy.

RGA
02-27-2006, 03:24 PM
If you're going to move around a lot into relatively small dorms then I would nto want to lug a lot of this around. Perhaps skipping the surround sound and going with two good speakers and a simpler amplifier.

heapdhones and a portable headphone amp might be nice. I run SENN HD600s with a $200.00 headphone amp that is about the size of the video iPod -- it has usb inputs so all your music and movies from your laptop or computer can be powered from the Bithead.

Obviously though headphones are about comfort mainly and there are many others besides Sennheiser.

Spending more does not always get you more either so no need to worry about only spendin $1,000.00. I would consider that spending $1000.00 on two speakers and an amp is going to get you better sound than spending $1k on 5 speakers and a sub and an amp though. But that;s up to you to decide. For example you might be able to get better Klispch Reference series speakers instead of the lower versions. And while you won;t have the surrround speakers righ away you may be able to get some down the road but your present music may sound considerably better with the better speakers.

Florian
02-27-2006, 03:30 PM
I agree with RGA on this one, if you like music more then movies then focus on two channels.

:-)

E-Stat
02-27-2006, 06:21 PM
I get these all for about 60-70% off retail ...
I might suggest taking some favorite music around and listening to a number of choices. Value is relative - not all gear is marked up nearly as much as the Klipsch stuff. In the 70s, I worked for a hi-fi shop that did little discounting. Folks would come in talking about discounts, not sound quality. We would tell them forget the completely arbitrary markup/discount schemes - just compare dollar for dollar what you can get. We sold lots of very nice sounding gear.

rw

still_runnin
02-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I completely agree with the 2 channel and thats probably what I will do. I was also wondering what you guys meant by amp. Is that the AV receiver or a seperate amplifier? I do not know a thing about stand alone amps, but I can definitally do my homework looking through the forums. Thanks again guys.

paul_pci
02-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I completely agree with the 2 channel and thats probably what I will do. I was also wondering what you guys meant by amp. Is that the AV receiver or a seperate amplifier? I do not know a thing about stand alone amps, but I can definitally do my homework looking through the forums. Thanks again guys.

Receivers have amps in them and then there are separate amplifiers, and then there's something you should really consider: the integrated amplifier for two channel sources. Think of the integrated amp as being much like a (non home theater) receiver without the tuner, which if you want you can find cheap on the used market. A simple integrated amp or a decent mass market stereo receiver should be fine. And then there's a couple things you should do along your ten year journey through school and interning: educate youself about audio equipment, speakers, amps, pre-amps, home theater equipment, etc. so that when your in the position to buy the kind of equipment you'll be ecstatic about, you'll know what to look for and what to ultimately buy. Secondly, as you already have a semblence, this is not a cheap hobby. Start putting away $25-50 a month and after ten years you'll have a nice balance to get your dream equipment.