HTR-5890 stuck in 2 channel mode, after YPAO failed to set [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HTR-5890 stuck in 2 channel mode, after YPAO failed to set

Jomutha
02-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Posted the following to this thread as more related per member suggestion...Just bought this Yammie to replace a Kenwood VR-7070 (earlier THX receiver) that would peak out and shut down on me at inopportune moments (Super Bowl) I went thru the YPAO setup after initally blasting some Steely Dan on CD and Rolling Stone Rock n' Roll Circus on DVD to test out sweet 7 channels, here's where the fun begins...At the conclusion of an effortless YPAO Auto setup, when I hit the "down" arrow to "set" the speakers, it would not lock, tried again w/OSD display and had same issue, then, when I went to operate receiver, the YPAO lite remained lit despite mic out. after I turned receiver back on, it only would show 2 channel sound. Yamaha is closed for weekend and website only showed factory reset procedures for up to 5870 and 1400 models, so no equivalent models to try the resets to factory. Went to store (Best Buy/Worst Service) and they said "try the reset procedures for earlier models and if it fries, bring it back". None of the prior reset attempts did anything. I am seriously considering returning it and getting the Onkyo TX-SR702 (last years model, but same features and I love the simplicity of the front controls vs. the 703) But I'm wondering if I will sacrifice power from this Yammie to the Onkyo as well as the vaunted Yammie durability and consistency (of which I've yet to see) I would rather get this unit going and avoid the hassle but am at wits end...ANY suggestions are appreciated. my components are as follows
htr-5890
fronts- Klipsch SB-1's
center-Polk CSM
surr rears-Vintage JBL Dorian C56's (I know, But I need end tables and the marble tops help)
Surr backs- Tivoli TDM2
Subwoofer-Tivoli TDPSI
Mitsubishi 5531 1080 projection
Sony CD/DVD DVP-NC665P

kexodusc
02-27-2006, 05:56 AM
I just bought this unit and had a similar problem. Except it was my own fault.

These things are usually a bit fickle, when you ran YPAO do you recall if speker selector "A" or "B" or both were engaged? That can mess things up. I use the preouts on mine running to another amp, but I left it engaged. Took a quick call to Yamaha to trouble shoot the problem.

If something is wrong, I wouldn't worry too much either. Yamaha has a great record, but they never claim to be perfect. Nobody does. Sooner or later someone has to get a unit with a problem. Won't matter who you switch to either, they all have their lemons sooner or later. That's why they have support staff, to help fix the problem or provide you a replacement in the unlikely event something does go wrong. Ask Bjorn about his Harman Kardon problems...

I've had a technical issue with just about every brand I've ever owned. But I'd buy from 90% of them again because they looked after me.

See what Yamaha says. If it were me, I'd probably just exchange it for another 5890 just in case.
Let us know how it goes.

PAT.P
02-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Before you plug in the Optimizer Mic in was the receiver off (should be)Did you try the manual setup?Sound menu A) speaker set .As for the 2 channel sound ,until you go on OSD and manual set up to see what speakers are listed on screen then you could add.When I set my receiver for AUTO SETUP if I press "down" arrow it goes to Start and I press Select on remote to start auto setup.The Speaker Set on my Yamaha is for Manual setting.

Jomutha
02-27-2006, 07:39 PM
It's the teardown and takeback I'm trying to avoid, hard pressed to consider same unit twice (once-bitten rule) Did talk to Yamaha, somewhat snippy guy insisted all was well, did manage to get multi channel from dvd by switching dvd setup to dts from pcm, lotta digital channels still only a 2 channel surr signal (?) but HBO, some others played in full mode. Still didn't get a reset procedure answer, nor an answer on the YPAO (it wasn't on when plugged in) do you know the factory reset procedure for this unit?
Thnks in advance,
Jomutha :(

paul_pci
02-27-2006, 08:40 PM
It's the teardown and takeback I'm trying to avoid, hard pressed to consider same unit twice (once-bitten rule) Did talk to Yamaha, somewhat snippy guy insisted all was well, did manage to get multi channel from dvd by switching dvd setup to dts from pcm, lotta digital channels still only a 2 channel surr signal (?) but HBO, some others played in full mode. Still didn't get a reset procedure answer, nor an answer on the YPAO (it wasn't on when plugged in) do you know the factory reset procedure for this unit?
Thnks in advance,
Jomutha :(

95% of television programming is in 2-channel; it's only premium programming like some HBO movies and some high-def programming that is in native 5.1. And a lot of cable/satellite guides are unhelpful as to which programming is 5.1 and which is 2.0. Perhaps there's no problem at all. You simply need to engage dolby prologic or a related dsp to transmit two-channel audio into a matrixed surround format. I have Direct Tv with an optical output for digital audio and my Yamaha automatically switches back and forth: prologic for 2-channel program (again 95% of content) and normal 5.1 for that programming which in my case amounts to something like 7 or so premium movies channels.

PAT.P
02-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Thnks in advance,
Jomutha :(Did'nt you get a Manual when you bought this receiver?

kexodusc
02-28-2006, 04:53 AM
lotta digital channels still only a 2 channel surr signal (?) but HBO, some others played in full mode. Jomutha :(

The more I read, the more I'm wondering if there's any problem with the receiver at all. Home Theater mag had a good article a year or so ago about how 80% of defective returns of home theater products are actually fully functional units.
These things aren't as easy to work as they use to be, and the manuals can be hard to interpret. Most digital TV stations won't output 5.1 signals yet. Just 2.0 Dolby Digital for now. Nothing wrong there.

Still didn't get a reset procedure answer, nor an answer on the YPAO (it wasn't on when plugged in) do you know the factory reset procedure for this unit?
Thnks in advance,

Not sure what the beef with the YPAO indicator is? It's not suppose to light up just because you plug it in. And if any settings have been changed manually since the last auto-setup, the indicator disappears. Also, the YPAO light remains on after you unplug the mic to indicate that your receiver is in fact loaded with the auto-setup changes. Sounds like the receiver is behaving properly in this regard.

Can you manually run a test tone through all speakers? On my 5890, I don't press the "down arrow" to set YPAO and apply the changes. Pressing down boots you out of it. I have to presse the --> button. Then I press down to exit out. This might be your problem?

I'd leave the reset alone for now. If something is wrong with the unit, it probably won't fix it. Those reset features only unlock the Protect modes.

Jomutha
02-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Not sure what the beef with the YPAO indicator is? It's not suppose to light up just because you plug it in. And if any settings have been changed manually since the last auto-setup, the indicator disappears. Also, the YPAO light remains on after you unplug the mic to indicate that your receiver is in fact loaded with the auto-setup changes. Sounds like the receiver is behaving properly in this regard.

Can you manually run a test tone through all speakers? On my 5890, I don't press the "down arrow" to set YPAO and apply the changes. Pressing down boots you out of it. I have to presse the --> button. Then I press down to exit out. This might be your problem?

I'd leave the reset alone for now. If something is wrong with the unit, it probably won't fix it. Those reset features only unlock the Protect modes.

To answer earlier query, yes, I went thru the manual and re-read in particular the YPAO setup. The manual is not poorly translated, but vague nonetheless. Why the YPAO would stay on is confusing, but it's gone now regardless. Does that mean I lost the preset. Got an email today from Yamaha regarding the reset (preset+ABCDE Button+ Standby; same as 5760 option I tried to no avail) for 3 secs and did not go to any diag mode on display, thought display did dim a couple minutes later until I moved controls, havent dimmed again since (2hrs) Still no answer on Onkyo option, any thoughts?...J

kexodusc
02-28-2006, 06:40 PM
The preset isn't "lost" simply because the indicator disappears. It just means at least one setting has been changed. Even the slightest change would deactivate the indicator. The actual values for all settings should remain. Trouble shooting this over the internet is probably not the solution in any event. You should be consulting with your dealer. If you feel this unit is defective in some way, by all means exchange it. You deserve to be happy with your purchase.

I'd try another 5890 myself. The odds of 2 not working to spec are extremely low. But if you are inclined to hold a grudge against Yamaha because of your troubles here then there's certainly nothing wrong with the Onkyo. Not as good a receiver IMO, but Onkyo makes good stuff.