What to expect of tube noise? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What to expect of tube noise?

Scott Frank
02-26-2006, 07:07 PM
I just bought a Rogue Audio Cronos tube integrated amplifier. The sound is definitely different from transistor, and awesome, I'm glad I did this. I have 4 hours of listening time on the unit and am trying to figure out how long I should wait before suspecting a bad tube. I've got some noise on one channel and don't want to start swapping the tubes across channels until the burn in period is officially over. But I can't find any information on how long that period actually is. Does anybody know?

Bernd
02-28-2006, 12:43 AM
I just bought a Rogue Audio Cronos tube integrated amplifier. The sound is definitely different from transistor, and awesome, I'm glad I did this. I have 4 hours of listening time on the unit and am trying to figure out how long I should wait before suspecting a bad tube. I've got some noise on one channel and don't want to start swapping the tubes across channels until the burn in period is officially over. But I can't find any information on how long that period actually is. Does anybody know?

Just swap the tubes over and see if the noise follows.That will give you your culprit. Burn in varies greatly, but noise is not good. Some tubes are bad from the off and there is no guarantee- how long anything -with a tube.
Welcome to the glory of glow.
Let me know how you get on.

Bernd

Geoffcin
02-28-2006, 05:58 AM

I would call Rogue today and tell them the problem.