cables that sound similar to nordost? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : cables that sound similar to nordost?

Kaboom
02-25-2006, 05:22 PM
So nordost stopped producing the solar wind interconnect JUST when i needed another pair to hook up my preamp and power amp now that i'm going the separates route.
Even though i ain't much of a cable believer, i do think they make a difference, and i do think that different cables sound different.
i love the sound of nordost because they are very transparent, and have a wonderful trebble (some people say they are overly bright, but i like them)
however now that they're not producing the solar wind, and i refuse to lay down a couple hundred bucks for a 0.5 meter interconnect (price of the blue heaven) i'm looking for another brand which sells cables which have a similar sound to the nordosts, ie the diametrical opposite of Van Den Hull or Cardas. Any comments, advice?

Smokey
02-25-2006, 07:55 PM
I love the sound of nordost because they are very transparent.........i'm looking for another brand which sells cables which have a similar sound to the nordosts, ie the diametrical opposite of Van Den Hull or Cardas.

If a cable is transparent, then they don't have any sound. And if they have the sound that you like , then they are not transparent. So as you can see how your two sentences contradict each other.

I would opt for a transparent cable (below link), and enhance the sound of the system via other methods than cables :)

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

JohnMichael
02-26-2006, 06:30 AM
You might want to check out Alpha Core Micro Purls. They are reasonably priced, solid core and comparable in sound to the entry level Nordost IMO. They also make a silver version but I find silver in my system a bit bright. Cables that I have tried that are silver over copper also sound bright to my ears.

www.alphacore.com

Kaboom
02-26-2006, 06:54 AM
interesting. i would have thought that since capacitance and inductance can only REDUCE bass and trebble, a brigther cable (brightness being dictated by the trebble response) would be the more transparent one...
It might happen, however, that there is TOO much trebble in some sources, or an amp that boosts the trebble response, in which case a cable which has a slightly lower trebble response will take some of the brightness away from the system. This cable might sound better, but will be less transparent.
please correct me if i'm wrong