how to power cerwin vegas? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : how to power cerwin vegas?

knight777
02-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Need advice on how to get the most out of my new cerwin vega clsc 12 floor speakers. I am totally new to all the latest audio equipment, have had the same system for 15 years, a tehnics component system su-g91 receiver, eq, rca cd player, and now my new cerwin vegas. I listen to my music very loud and my technics shuts down at higher volumes. Seems like I dont have enough power to push these new monster speakers. Thinking maybe I might need to go with an amp and a preamp because all the A/v receivers don't have enough power to handle these babies and also will a dj amp do the job such as a crown,gem sound, pyramid, or pro pyle? the cerwin veas handle 300 watts each. I am also on a budget and will be buying from ebay. Anybody have any ideas for ground shaking perfomance?

Scott Carr
02-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Hello, I just ordered a pair of Cerwin Vega V-15F's. I will be powering them with a high current NAD C270 at 120 watts a side(up to 450 watts dynamic power into 2 ohms). The key here is high current. I would look at NAD, Rotel, or another less expensive alternative is AudioSource at http://www.audiosource.net/amplifiers.html.

royphil345
02-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Many of the other Cerwin Vega speakers are rated at 4 ohms. Can't find specs on the Classics, but since you're having problems I'm guessing they might be a 4 ohm load which will shut down or damage many receivers. They are very efficient speakers. Would probably play louder than your old speakers given the same amount of power otherwise.

The 300 watt rating is peak power. Shouldn't be any need for more than a 150-200 watt RMS (continuous power) amp. Think you'd probably be happy with a quality amp in the 80-100 watt range as long as it could handle a 4 ohm load. Most separate amps will.

If your Technics receiver has preamp outputs, you could just add a power amp and be in business. Otherwise, you'll need to go with separates. Pro amp should be fine with the CVs. Get what you pay for just like any other amp though. The good ones still cost some $. Also keep in mind that most pro amps are fan-cooled which might be annoying when listening at lower volumes. As far as amps... Agree with the recommendation for NAD or Rotel. Could look at Adcom, Carver A-500X or A-760X if you run across one. Agree that AudioSource might be a good bang for the buck. For a preamp, I'd probably stay away from the AudioSource and look at NAD, Rotel, Adcom...

Geoffcin
02-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Need advice on how to get the most out of my new cerwin vega clsc 12 floor speakers. I am totally new to all the latest audio equipment, have had the same system for 15 years, a tehnics component system su-g91 receiver, eq, rca cd player, and now my new cerwin vegas. I listen to my music very loud and my technics shuts down at higher volumes. Seems like I dont have enough power to push these new monster speakers. Thinking maybe I might need to go with an amp and a preamp because all the A/v receivers don't have enough power to handle these babies and also will a dj amp do the job such as a crown,gem sound, pyramid, or pro pyle? the cerwin veas handle 300 watts each. I am also on a budget and will be buying from ebay. Anybody have any ideas for ground shaking perfomance?

Adcom GFA-555 or GFA-545.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ADCOM-GFA-545-amplifier-2-channel-100-watts-channel_W0QQitemZ5868328981QQcategoryZ71543QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

The GFA-555 will really be my best choice if you want to play club levels all night long.

kexodusc
02-25-2006, 03:09 PM
I'd go with a Crown or QSC myself...More power than you can shake a stick at for not a lot of money. I think CV's might not appreciate decent home audio amps enough to make them worthwhile. Go for power and piss off the neighbors.

kexodusc
02-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Geoff's idea of the big ol' Adcom is good too...I use to have a GFA-555...Way too much amp for PSB Alpha bookshelfs...CV's will do much better.

Geoffcin
02-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Geoff's idea of the big ol' Adcom is good too...I use to have a GFA-555...Way too much amp for PSB Alpha bookshelfs...CV's will do much better.

You just think it's too good for the likes of CV! ;)

kexodusc
02-25-2006, 04:03 PM
I dunno...I have soft spot for CV's...I had a pair of big ol' 10" red rimmed CV's back in college. I grew up on AFB's, my dad was a pilot. The base exchange stores always carried CV's at a discount for some reason...young soldiers love'em. They sounded very loud, and looked awesome. :D
A big bad-ass muther @#&^% Technics stereo receiver ran those things for 2 years before finally melting (literally). Then my old man gave me the NAD 3020 (which he now wants back).
I'd still have them if some idiot didn't send a pool cue through the woofer :mad:

Worst part is, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have sold them so cheap...CV woofers are a dime a dozen. :( Could have fixed it.

Knight777:
I've been told by most people to avoid Pyle Pro like the plague...same goes for Behringer if you're thinking of going the pro-amp route...CV's are pretty efficient as a rule of thumb. You can probably power them with just about anything, truth be told. I'd get the least expensive big wattage amp you can afford. I think most would agree that CV's aren't the kind of speaker that will reveal subtle differences in amplifier topologies.

Geoffcin
02-25-2006, 04:24 PM
I dunno...I have soft spot for CV's...I had a pair of big ol' 10" red rimmed CV's back in college. I grew up on AFB's, my dad was a pilot. The base exchange stores always carried CV's at a discount for some reason...young soldiers love'em. They sounded very loud, and looked awesome. :D

I remember the salesman thumping the woofer really hard with his hand and saying "these speakers are indistructable!" A good thing too, cause that's the first thing we tried to do to them!

matt39
02-27-2006, 03:37 AM
I'm going to come at this from a slightly different angle. I think that since you have the 12 inch woofer model you very likely could get good results with a decent stereo receiver. I would suggest the top of the line models from Harmon Kardon (HK3480), Denon (DRA-685), Yamaha (RX-797) or possibly the new Outlaw RR2150 (if you're willing to wait till they're in stock). Prices range from $400-$600. All these models have ample power and are stable into a 4 ohm load. All of them also have main in-pre out jacks so if you wish to add a more powerful amplifier you can. For the price of a used preamp you get a receiver's convenience and features. Frankly I'd probably start with the Denon and Yamaha because they're readily available and very good quality. I used to own a Yamaha/Cerwin set and it sounded great. Try to audition the receiver with your speakers and, if not, make sure you can return it if it is not to your liking. Another option if you don't need a tuner would be the NAD C370 integrated amp on the used market. This amp should really do a great job with your speakers. You might also consider doing some research over at www.audiokarma.org. There are some classic owners over there who might be able to give you the benefit of some 'hands on' experience. Congratulations on your new speakers. Hope this helps a little and that you enjoy them for a long time.
Gary

CerwinVega
04-03-2006, 07:02 PM
I have an Audiosource Amp Three with an Audiosource Preamp Tuner Two and it powers my Cerwin Vega V-12F's perfectly with quality matched up together to get the most out of the components and I think that's all you really need.