New To Home Theater - A Few Questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New To Home Theater - A Few Questions

JimN
01-22-2004, 09:52 AM
I recently purchased a NAD T752 A/V Receiver. I'm new to A/V Receivers, and as such, am not very familiar with all the A/V inputs/outputs, analog/digital, etc. At this point, I am driving only two main speakers (Dynaudio Audience 52's) in stereo mode. I have a few questions/potential problems. I've consulted the manual and the NAD website FAQ, but I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. I realize that these questions are probably pretty specific to my equipment, but I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me.

I hooked up a VCR to the "VCR Input/Output Section", using composite RCA A/V cables. The input portion seems to work fine, as I can view tapes. The output portion does not seem to be working, though. For example: I have a satellite receiver connected to the "Satellite Input", using an S-video cable and composite RCA audio cables. If I have the receiver switched to Satellite and I hit record on the VCR, the VCR records audio but no video (all I see is a blank blue screen). The correct input is selected on the VCR. I have the cables configured correctly - Receiver VCR Output to VCR Input / Receiver VCR Input to VCR Output. I believe that the inputs are configured correctly - Satellite Audio & Video both set to Satellite, with digital input selection defeated / VCR Audio & Video both set to VCR, with digital input selection (if any) defeated. Any idea why I cannot record video on the VCR?

Another issue is the Monitor Output. I'm currently sending the Monitor Output to a television via a composite video cable. When I tried to use the S-Video Monitor Output, the picture did not look good. There was a distinct grid (pixelated) pattern to the picture. This same S-video cable worked fine when I used it to connect the satellite receiver to the A/V receiver's Satellite input. Any idea what's going on here? On the same subject, is there a way to send a stereo audio signal to the television's composite audio inputs? It would be nice to have the option of using only the television's speakers on occasion.

Thanks for reading.

JDaniel
01-22-2004, 10:21 AM
JimN - I'll try and answer your questions in order:

I have a satellite receiver connected to the "Satellite Input", using an S-video cable and composite RCA audio cables. If I have the receiver switched to Satellite and I hit record on the VCR, the VCR records audio but no video (all I see is a blank blue screen). Any idea why I cannot record video on the VCR?
The S-Video Cable is the problem. Most receivers can't up or down convert a video signal, in your case from S-Video from the Sat. receiver to composite video out to the VCR. If you'll switch the satellite box connection from S-Video cable to a composite video cable and use the A/V receiver's composite input for "satellite input", I think you'll be able to record.

Another issue is the Monitor Output. I'm currently sending the Monitor Output to a television via a composite video cable. When I tried to use the S-Video Monitor Output, the picture did not look good. There was a distinct grid (pixelated) pattern to the picture. This same S-video cable worked fine when I used it to connect the satellite receiver to the A/V receiver's Satellite input. Any idea what's going on here?
How do you know the S-Video cable worked "fine" when you used it to connect to the Satellite input? Hook the satellite box up straight to the TV, trying both S-video cables. If both work that way, then the cables are ok. When going through a receiver, check all the S-video connections. S-video connections can be pulled loose by even the weight of the cable hanging down. Also, my comments to the 1st question still apply. You can only "monitor out" the same type of signal that you input to the A/V receiver. If s-video in, then it must be s-video out to the TV. Your composite signal from the vcr can't go through the S-video monitor out. You can buy a $5 composite to s-video converter to connect your vcr to your receiver via S-video, thus only needing one cable output to your tv.

On the same subject, is there a way to send a stereo audio signal to the television's composite audio inputs? It would be nice to have the option of using only the television's speakers on occasion.

Thanks for reading.
Yes, if your TV has audio inputs. On my Sony, this also requires a TV menu change to use the TV speakers. I must set the audio input/output to fixed or variable - can't remember which.

Good luck.

JD

Mania
01-22-2004, 10:23 AM
VCR issue: I don't know specifically about your receiver, but for most, If the sat is hooked up via S-video, the video out likely has to also be S-video, which means that you have to have an S-video VCR. You could, if you want, use an adapter (I know there is one from parts express) to convert your S-video signal to composite signal.

Monitor: The blank screen is probably the same reason as above. Don't know about why you would get a grid if you are connected properly.

Good luck

JimN
01-22-2004, 11:05 AM
The S-Video Cable is the problem. Most receivers can't up or down convert a video signal, in your case from S-Video from the Sat. receiver to composite video out to the VCR. If you'll switch the satellite box connection from S-Video cable to a composite video cable and use the A/V receiver's composite input for "satellite input", I think you'll be able to record.

Okay, I see now. My VCR doesn't have S-Video connections, so I guess I'll reconnect the satellite receiver via a composite cable.

How do you know the S-Video cable worked "fine" when you used it to connect to the Satellite input? Hook the satellite box up straight to the TV, trying both S-video cables. If both work that way, then the cables are ok. When going through a receiver, check all the S-video connections. S-video connections can be pulled loose by even the weight of the cable hanging down. Also, my comments to the 1st question still apply. You can only "monitor out" the same type of signal that you input to the A/V receiver. If s-video in, then it must be s-video out to the TV. Your composite signal from the vcr can't go through the S-video monitor out. You can buy a $5 composite to s-video converter to connect your vcr to your receiver via S-video, thus only needing one cable output to your tv.

Interesting. I have only one S-Video cable on-hand. When I had the satellite receiver connected via composite video, and tried to connect the monitor out via S-Video, the picture was compromised. However, with the monitor out connected via composite video, and the satellite receiver connected via S-Video, the picture looks perfect. Perhaps if both were connected via S-Video, everything would be fine? But then I'd have the same problem with my VCR, since it doesn't have S-Video connections. I guess the adapter you mentioned could come into play here. In your opinion, is there a noticable difference between S-Video and composite video?

Yes, if your TV has audio inputs. On my Sony, this also requires a TV menu change to use the TV speakers. I must set the audio input/output to fixed or variable - can't remember which.

My TV has composite audio/video inputs. The receiver, however, provides only a video connection in the "monitor out" section. Where can I grab a stereo audio out signal? Thank you very much for the help!

JDaniel
01-22-2004, 12:32 PM
In your opinion, is there a noticable difference between S-Video and composite video?

Yes - I think the biggest jump in picture quality is from composite to S-video; less improvement from S-video to Component video.

AHA - I just looked at the specs for your receiver at NADs website (http://www.nadelectronics.com/support/manuals_framset.htm) and your receiver DOES in fact up convert composite signals to S-video. Here's the quote: "The T572 'transcodes' S-video to composite video signals connected to the DVD, SAT, VCR and Video 4-6 inputs will be present at both the S-video and composite MONITOR OUT jacks when any of these inputs is selected. This provides the convenience of requiring only a single video connection (usually S-video) between the T572 and the TV/Monitor." So, it appears that your receiver isn't doing a very good job in the "transcoding". For what you paid for the NAD, you may want to have it serviced if it is under warranty.

Otherwise, you may have a couple of choices for the vcr. Does your cable box have a plain old coax output? If so, hook that directly up to your VCR and record that way. Or, you could just use composite video all around. Hook the Sat. box up both ways - composite and s-video straight to the TV and see if you notice a difference. On many sets, you won't be able to tell much difference. On others, it may be very noticeable.

My TV has composite audio/video inputs. The receiver, however, provides only a video connection in the "monitor out" section. Where can I grab a stereo audio out signal? Thank you very much for the help!
Again, looking at your owner's manual, you have audio out options for DVD, SAT, VCR, and Video 4-5. Connection your L/R audio cables from the Sat. out to the TV input should work.

Hope this helps.

JD

JimN
01-22-2004, 02:17 PM
AHA - I just looked at the specs for your receiver at NADs website (http://www.nadelectronics.com/support/manuals_framset.htm) and your receiver DOES in fact up convert composite signals to S-video. Here's the quote: "The T572 'transcodes' S-video to composite video signals connected to the DVD, SAT, VCR and Video 4-6 inputs will be present at both the S-video and composite MONITOR OUT jacks when any of these inputs is selected. This provides the convenience of requiring only a single video connection (usually S-video) between the T572 and the TV/Monitor." So, it appears that your receiver isn't doing a very good job in the "transcoding". For what you paid for the NAD, you may want to have it serviced if it is under warranty.

Thanks again for your help. As I understand it, the receiver transcodes these video signals to be present at the "MONITOR OUT" jacks only. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't necessarily mean that an S-Video signal connected to the SAT input will be present at the VCR composite out jack.

Again, looking at your owner's manual, you have audio out options for DVD, SAT, VCR, and Video 4-5. Connection your L/R audio cables from the Sat. out to the TV input should work.

As I see it, the only audio out options I have are for VCR, VIDEO 4 and TAPE. Perhaps I should split the A/V signals directly from the satellite receiver, and plug them into a separate input on the television. That way I have the option of watching TV without turning on the A/V receiver.

JDaniel
01-23-2004, 07:20 AM
Thanks again for your help. As I understand it, the receiver transcodes these video signals to be present at the "MONITOR OUT" jacks only. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't necessarily mean that an S-Video signal connected to the SAT input will be present at the VCR composite out jack.Correct (I think). All that really means is that you should be able to run all your A/V connections (Sat, VCR, DVD) with either S-Video, Composite, or a combination of each, and then only one S-video cable from the monitor out to your TV. It is supposed to properly upconvert or "transcode" all signals to whichever type of Monitor Out connection you make. Since you tried it and it didn't work well, that's why I suggested calling NAD. If it was working properly, you shouldn't see such a drastic loss in signal quality.

Also, as I suggested earlier, try viewing your Sat. box with a composite connection 1st, then a S-vid. connection. If you don't notice much/any improvement, you might prefer just to use composite video connections throughout.

And you never answered my earlier question. If your Sat. Box has a plain old coax cable output, can't you just hook that up to your VCR input and record that way? That's the way my digital cable box is hooked up.

As I see it, the only audio out options I have are for VCR, VIDEO 4 and TAPE. Perhaps I should split the A/V signals directly from the satellite receiver, and plug them into a separate input on the television. That way I have the option of watching TV without turning on the A/V receiver.No, I wouldn't split the signal. All you need to do is connect your Sat. S-video and audio cables to Video 4 (instead of SAT input), then output the audio to the TV's Audio Input. When you want to watch Sat. through your system, you would select Video 4 instead of "SAT". Just because your receiver has a SAT input doesn't mean that's the only place you can hook up a Sat. box. It will work in any of the inputs.

Hope that helps.

JD

JimN
01-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Correct (I think). All that really means is that you should be able to run all your A/V connections (Sat, VCR, DVD) with either S-Video, Composite, or a combination of each, and then only one S-video cable from the monitor out to your TV. It is supposed to properly upconvert or "transcode" all signals to whichever type of Monitor Out connection you make. Since you tried it and it didn't work well, that's why I suggested calling NAD. If it was working properly, you shouldn't see such a drastic loss in signal quality.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to help me out. I sent NAD an email about this issue. No response, yet. I'm curious to see what happens if both the SAT Input and Monitor Output are connected via S-Video. I need to buy another S-Video cable to try that, though.

Also, as I suggested earlier, try viewing your Sat. box with a composite connection 1st, then a S-vid. connection. If you don't notice much/any improvement, you might prefer just to use composite video connections throughout.

I'll give it a try. Good easy way to see a comparison.

And you never answered my earlier question. If your Sat. Box has a plain old coax cable output, can't you just hook that up to your VCR input and record that way? That's the way my digital cable box is hooked up.

Yes, the Sat. Box has coax output. However, my VCR recording problem seems to be solved. I connected the SAT Input via both composite AND S-Video. The VCR is now recording video just fine.

No, I wouldn't split the signal. All you need to do is connect your Sat. S-video and audio cables to Video 4 (instead of SAT input), then output the audio to the TV's Audio Input. When you want to watch Sat. through your system, you would select Video 4 instead of "SAT". Just because your receiver has a SAT input doesn't mean that's the only place you can hook up a Sat. box. It will work in any of the inputs.

Good point about using Video 4 instead of the SAT Input. Stupid of me to not realize that an input is an input. Actually, the Sat. Box has two separate sets of outputs. I thought it would make sense to directly connect the unused Sat. Box output to a separate TV input. That way I have the option of watching television without switching on the NAD A/V receiver.

Next step: Learn more about the digital side of things...Optical and Coax inputs, etc.