HD-DVD hitting the stores soon! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HD-DVD hitting the stores soon!

Geoffcin
02-25-2006, 09:54 AM
I got a taste of what HD-DVD looks like yesterday, and I can't wait to see more!

A local electronics store was hosting a demo of HD-DVD that was being given by a Toshiba rep. He brought the new "top-of-the-line" player with him.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio/500/207729unit2.jpg

And one demo disk that was playing a loop of trailers for several initial release HD-DVD movies. The one that really cought my eye was the trailer for King Kong. While I thought the theatrical movie flawed in several ways, the animation was nothing short of stunning on the modest Toshiba 50" DLP set they were using.

The backlit remote was well built, if a little oversized. Which is my assesment of the player as well. The player felt like it weighed about 11-12lbs and the rep said it was built with doubled walled aluminium and included extra damping. You don't get that with the entry level $499 player.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio/500/207729remote.jpg

Connectivity was straight forward with an HDMI cable, and a toslink optical cable for the sound. Component, S-video, and Composite are all supported, along with 5.1 audio, and stereo. The top of the line unit also sports a RS232 port, and an eithernet connection. There's even a dual set of USB ports on the front panel for gamepads?!

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio/500/207729unit_back.jpg

I did get some good news though for all you component guys. (I'm one too) HD-DVD specs leaves it up to the software provider to decide if component will pass the full up HD signal. On at least some of the initial titles they may forgo the HDCP protecting that HDMI provides.

T- 4 weeks till blast-off!
http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio/500/207729unit.jpg

paul_pci
02-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the report. I'm disappointed that Toshiba's tour does not include anything in the LA area.

drseid
02-25-2006, 07:54 PM
The tour is coming to my local Myer Emco in a little under a month... By then I may have the player (I pre-ordered the "cheapy" one for $499). I still think Blu-ray will win the war in the end, but at $499 I am willing to take the gamble, and buy a PS3 for Blu-ray support when it comes out... Not too bad for a $1000 total investment, IMO.

Thanks for the report Geoff.

---Dave

Smokey
02-25-2006, 08:00 PM
II did get some good news though for all you component guys. (I'm one too) HD-DVD specs leaves it up to the software provider to decide if component will pass the full up HD signal.

That is a smart move considering that as of now, majority of owned HDTVs out there only have component input, not HDMI :)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-25-2006, 09:07 PM
That is a smart move considering that as of now, majority of owned HDTVs out there only have component input, not HDMI :)

The problem is there is only one studio that has said it will do it on a movie to movie basis. I would assume older movies would enable it, and newer movies will. The rest of the studio have gone on record as saying they will definately down rez the component input. What is worse to me is that both of these players will be released without complete AACS enabled security, and many interactive features also will not be enabled. This imo makes both players pretty crippled at launch, and there is a good chance that some disc will not play in either player. They better hope this format is deemed worthy to release second generation players with all processing enabled, or this format has another nail to its heart.

drseid
02-26-2006, 03:10 AM
What is worse to me is that both of these players will be released without complete AACS enabled security, and many interactive features also will not be enabled. This imo makes both players pretty crippled at launch, and there is a good chance that some disc will not play in either player. They better hope this format is deemed worthy to release second generation players with all processing enabled, or this format has another nail to its heart.
Supposedly the missing features/security will be "easily" upgradebale via firmware fixes over the net. Maybe the more expensive model can receive these fixes through the ethernet connection? In my case, I guess I will have to burn a CD-Rom, as I won't have that connection on the cheapy player... Definitely an annoyance to be sure, but worth them getting the product to market a few months earlier, IMO.

---Dave

Geoffcin
02-26-2006, 04:49 AM
Supposedly the missing features/security will be "easily" upgradeable via firmware fixes over the net. Maybe the more expensive model can receive these fixes through the ethernet connection? In my case, I guess I will have to burn a CD-Rom, as I won't have that connection on the cheapy player... Definitely an annoyance to be sure, but worth them getting the product to market a few months earlier, IMO.

---Dave

Also the rep didn't know anything about dynamic licensing. I suspect if they include that into the spec ALL player will have to be continually updated. (what a load of crap)

Geoffcin
02-26-2006, 04:51 AM
As much as I've been waiting for this to hit, I'm going to sit on the fence for a while longer. My guess is that HD-DVD has a round of price cuts planned for the BlueRay launch. A $299 player will get a lot of action, especially when BlueRay is going to hit at over a grand.

By that time there might also be some software discounting, and a better selection of titles.

GMichael
02-26-2006, 07:29 AM
As much as I've been waiting for this to hit, I'm going to sit on the fence for a while longer. My guess is that HD-DVD has a round of price cuts planned for the BlueRay launch. A $299 player will get a lot of action, especially when BlueRay is going to hit at over a grand.

By that time there might also be some software discounting, and a better selection of titles.

Thanks for the update. Is there anymore room on that fence?

PAT.P
02-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Im going to wait for a while on HD ,dont need it at the moment.Dont have a HD TV yet and bought in the last few month a Yamaha SACD/DVD-A player.Im more into music scene , It does look like a nice player.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Also the rep didn't know anything about dynamic licensing. I suspect if they include that into the spec ALL player will have to be continually updated. (what a load of crap)

Let's say that you have a coding error in your firmware, how long would it take hem to find and update it. Also these players only process 2 channel DD-HD signals, do not output 1080p( which is what early adopters want), and will probably require some maintainence to update it. What a load of crap, and what a pain in the tocus.

Until they have AACS fully implemented ( so I can plainly see what they are doing in my player) HDMI 1.3 standards with a proper hookup to my input ( I hear they are going to change connector types for the 1.3 standard) and 1.3 standards are fully implemented in receivers and processors in a wide spread fashion ( I still want to choose the type of pre-amp processor I want), then I will not bother with either format. I am leaning towards bluray, but not read to invest in it currently implemented.

kexodusc
02-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Until I see no less than 20 desireable titles that I don't already own on DVD, at an affordable price +/- 5 to 10% of a DVD title, I'm not buying either format. The bulk of my satisfaction when watching movies doesn't come from a better picture quality, it comes from the movie itself. I'll only pay so much for marginally better. Not worth the potential headaches at slim selection at this point.

Geoffcin
02-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Until I see no less than 20 desireable titles that I don't already own on DVD, at an affordable price +/- 5 to 10% of a DVD title, I'm not buying either format. The bulk of my satisfaction when watching movies doesn't come from a better picture quality, it comes from the movie itself. I'll only pay so much for marginally better. Not worth the potential headaches at slim selection at this point.

The problem being that you had to sit close to really appriciate it. We were 6' from a 50" set and it was great. My HT seating is 11'-12' back, so I would need a 70"+ set to get the same effect.

kexodusc
02-26-2006, 09:47 AM
BTW, did anyone else notice how H/K like Toshiba's player looks?
That's just fugly.

kexodusc
02-26-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm not disputing the picture quality. I've seen HD pictures before. I just don't get enough enjoyment out of it to justify becoming an early adoptor of this stuff. The transition from DVD to HD-DVD or BluRay is going to have to be pretty painless for me to buy into it. A $200 - $300 player is the least of my worries. I suspect I'll need an a/v receiver to decode whatever next generation audio formats come with these. (or is that included in the player?) When I do make the move, I don't want to be upgrading players again in a year or two.
When can we expect movies to be released in HD on a regular basis?

bjornb17
02-26-2006, 10:06 AM
That's just fugly.

I was just going to mention how similar it looked, but i didnt want to before reading the other posts to make sure it hasnt been said. I like the look of HK stuff, but the toshiba player looks really bulky!

Geoffcin
02-26-2006, 10:07 AM
I suspect I'll need an a/v receiver to decode whatever next generation audio formats come with these. (or is that included in the player?) When I do make the move, I don't want to be upgrading players again in a year or two.
When can we expect movies to be released in HD on a regular basis?

The player decodes the new Dolby-HD and sends it out via 5.1 analog. I agree that it's not the best way to do things, but it will get you the new sound formats without having to spring for a new mega-buck receiver right away.

The Toshiba rep said there's going to be about 40 titles available on release. The're expecting over 60 by summer, including the new Kong.

Geoffcin
02-26-2006, 10:08 AM
That's just fugly.

Go great with a set of Audio Note speakers though.... ;)