Huh I Converted PAL DVD to NTSC DVD on my computer easily [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Huh I Converted PAL DVD to NTSC DVD on my computer easily

EdwardGein
02-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Maybe someone can explain what doesn't seem to be explained- at least not on another board where I got total gobblygook. My Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player plays NTSC DVD's only. As I also have a multi system player, I ordered a PAL Box set of DVDs from a 70's UK TV series that's not available here & I don't think was ever shown in the US. Anyway, just for the heck of it, I tried to play the PAL DVDs on my Harmon Kardon 31 player & of course they wouldn't play. Then out of curiosity, using DVD Shrink & a supplementry commercial program available online called DVD Fab which removes regions & other things, I proceeded to make a DVD backup of my PAL DVD. I then played it on my Harmon Kardon 31 player & it played perfectly. I'm concluding that it converted PAL into NTSC but these people in the other board say no, it just made a PAL Region free DVD. Well as far as I understand, correct me if I'm wrong someone, if your player is NTSC, you still can't play a PAL DVD on it even if it is region free. Clarifications anyone?

N. Abstentia
02-25-2006, 05:42 AM
Actually the video is still PAL format, it's just that now you have a region free DVD that your player can read. And all you really need is DVD Shrink, as it removes all the region coding. You don't need the other program. Anything you run through Shrink comes out region free, no matter what region.

And just a word of caution...you can only do that so many times on your computer. Your DVD reader can read any region, and will change regions on the fly. However it's limited to 5 changes. So you used 1 when you first read the PAL disc, if you've put a region 1 disc back in that's another. If not it's still set to Region 2. The point is....do all your Region 2 shrinking while the player is still set to region 2. You can't go back and fourth forever.

EdwardGein
02-25-2006, 08:07 AM
I'm pretty sure the setting hasn't been changed but where do I look up to see how many times its been changed? Thanks

N. Abstentia
02-25-2006, 11:07 AM
It's in the device manager under the properties for your DVD-ROM. There's a 'region' tab which will tell you how many changes you have left.

EdwardGein
02-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the info Looks like when I use Shrink for this it doesn't make any changes on the computer in regards to NTSC/PAL if you don't actually play it on your computer. The other Program DVD Fab is available on a free 30 day trial, is about $39 but is worth it, as it lets you still use shrink for the DVD's with extra arcoss (spelling?) encryption on it. Before, I'd say Shrink wouldn't work for 5 % of the DVDs I tried, now it works for everything & is easier to back up a clone which I rarely could do in the past. Thanks for your help

N. Abstentia
02-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Well it doesn't matter if it's NTSC or PAL, it's the region that matters. If it did not change regions when you put in the PAL disc that means it was either already coded for Region 1 or Region 0..probably Region 0.

But if you ever put an acutal Region 2 disc it will pop up immediately and ask you if you want to change it. That has nothing to do with the program you're using, or even with Windows, it's in the firmware of the drive. That's why it stays with the drive no matter what computer you put it in.

EdwardGein
02-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Yeah they are actual PAL 2's that are not region 0 & DVD FAb allows you to play this on your computer without changing anything. DVD Fab also tells you the region etc. You should try this out for free. I know I went nuts trying ti use Shrink on DVD's that wouldn't work till I downloaded DVD Fab.