Rega, one better [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rega, one better

JohnMichael
02-24-2006, 12:48 PM
In my continuing search for ways to improve the already good sound of my Rega I have tried a new mod. The modifications so far are the rewired tonearm, the DeepGroove sub platter and the Ringmat turntable mat. I was reading about a tweak that involved using metal cones under the ttable instead of the soft feet. The benefit as stated was the cones ability to drain internal vibration from the ttable. Different thinking than the usual isolating the table from external vibrations. Having three Mod Squad tip toes that are 1 1/2 inches tall I thought I would give this a try.

The tip toes are taller than the Rega's feet so I did not have to remove those to try the tweak. I placed the tip toes in close proximitry to the Rega feet but not touching the feet. The table is well supported keeping the cones close to the positions of the original feet. I have not tried different positions to see if that would make a difference in the sound.

In the two days I have been enjoying this tweak I have noticed an improvement in sound. Bass is much tighter most noticeable on Telarcs recording of "The Rite Of Spring'. The bass drum has better definition and the sound is tighter. Highs are more extended and more delicate,sweeter. Individual instruments are easier to follow. Overall less congestion in complex music. A very enjoyable improvement.

Bernd
02-25-2006, 02:23 AM
I can second that. I did a similar tweak with RDC Cones on my Rega P25 and it made a noticable improvement.
Enjoy

Bernd

JohnMichael
03-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Bernd, I am still so impressed with the improvement. I have been pulling out a lot of old vinyl. Right now I am listening to "Introducing The Hardline According To Terence Trent D'Arby". The sound definitely keeps me moving. Do you know of any other Rega mods I have not tried yet?

Thanks

Bernd
03-14-2006, 03:31 AM
Hi John,

The only other things I did, was to change the platter from glass to acrylic and the counter weight and stub to a Michell Counterweight. I consider the counter weight change a must and the platter change depends on the way you like your music. Glass a bit harder acrylic a bit warmer. I also disabled the down force spring on the RB600. That also brought improvements.
It is pretty amazing what can be coaxed out of a simple Rega.

Enjoy

Bernd:16:

JohnMichael
03-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks Bernd for more tips. I have been thinking about the dropped counterweight but I have read some problems with premature bearing wear if the weight is not hanging straight. It is interesting that you disabled the downforce spring on the tonearm. One of the reasons I chose the Planar2 over the 3 was reading I had done about how the spring could change over time and other problems. Thanks again.

Bernd
03-14-2006, 08:34 AM
No probs.
I still maintain that the Michell Counter weight is a must. I had it for over 2 years and Michell using it on their own arm - Michell's Technoarm A - based, as I am sure you know, on the Rega 250. And what a giant killer it is.This runs my SME V very close. I used this arm on my Michell Orbe and it is fantastic.
If you ever feel the need to upgrade, the Michell Technodec with Technoarm A would be the way I'll go. This combo takes some beating. Or if you feel flush consider the Michell Gyrodeck with the same arm.

Hope you're doing ok.

Peace

Bernd:16:

nobody
03-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Bernd, I am still so impressed with the improvement. I have been pulling out a lot of old vinyl. Right now I am listening to "Introducing The Hardline According To Terence Trent D'Arby". The sound definitely keeps me moving. Do you know of any other Rega mods I have not tried yet?

Thanks

Never used a Rega and have no comment on any of that...but just wanted to chime in and say that is one really good album. Shame he never came close to equalling it after such a stunning debut. He had a grear r&b voice...but unfiortunately, never seemed really dedicated to the style of music he really shined singing. His version of Who's Loving You at the end of Hardline is a fantastic showcase for just what kind of voice he really had. Just listened to that one a couple days ago.

nightflier
03-21-2006, 02:44 PM
I have a MH MMF-7 and couldn't really use cone feet (I do have some), but I am using a Cloud 10 isolation platform instead and it seems to make a bit of a difference. Tonight I'll try to put the cones underneath the platform and see if that helps.

I have to second the comments on the TTD album. I haven't heard it in a while but I'll be sure to give it another whirl tonight. I have it on CD too, so that should be an interesting comparison.