Help me have some fun! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help me have some fun!

topspeed
02-23-2006, 04:50 PM
I think I'm going to put a little system in my garage since I spend all weekend in there anyway. I've been using a trusty Panny boombox from the '70's (no joke) but I usually have to smack it around to get it to work right. Here's my plan:

1) I've got some old Sony monitors from the early '90's sitting in the garage with rotted out drivers. Can I just get some drivers and maybe a new crossover from PE and stick them in the existing cabinet? Is this even possible and how do I figure out the right drivers? Cabinet volume?

2) I need something to push them. I was thinking of maybe a Sonic Impact T amp for giggles, but I don't know if it's got enough cajones to fill a garage (only 5wpc). I know this will have a lot to do with how efficient the speaker are, but as per #1, I have no idea what they will be.

3) A cheap tuner. I usually listen to radio while I'm working out there. I'm thinking I could pirate the Sirius tuner out of my wife's car on the weekends so I can listen to sat radio using an FM modulator, but I'm not sure...

4) Or...do I just get a cheapo receiver and be done with it? Of course, where's the fun in that :D ?

This is going to be in my garage and exposed to extreme temperatures as well as dust and everything else. Durability is a factor.

What would you guys do?

kexodusc
02-23-2006, 06:02 PM
I think I'm going to put a little system in my garage since I spend all weekend in there anyway. I've been using a trusty Panny boombox from the '70's (no joke) but I usually have to smack it around to get it to work right. Here's my plan:

1) I've got some old Sony monitors from the early '90's sitting in the garage with rotted out drivers. Can I just get some drivers and maybe a new crossover from PE and stick them in the existing cabinet? Is this even possible and how do I figure out the right drivers? Cabinet volume?
well, now you're at 2/3 the cost of a complete new project. So why stop? You could probably find the right size driver, and it would probably work...up to you. cabinet volume would be a determining factor in deciding what drivers could be compatible.

2) I need something to push them. I was thinking of maybe a Sonic Impact T amp for giggles, but I don't know if it's got enough cajones to fill a garage (only 5wpc). I know this will have a lot to do with how efficient the speaker are, but as per #1, I have no idea what they will be.
How big is the garage. I use a NAD 3140 and a NAD tuner with some 87-89 db-ish Wharfedale Emeralds in my Garage...works great.

4) Or...do I just get a cheapo receiver and be done with it? Of course, where's the fun in that :D ?

This is going to be in my garage and exposed to extreme temperatures as well as dust and everything else. Durability is a factor.

What would you guys do?

Receivers are great for this application IMO. Unless you have some old gear lying around.

N. Abstentia
02-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Option #1.....who needs crossovers? Crossovers are for wussies :D
What I did was ordered some cheapo 6.5" drivers and some Goldwood piezo tweeters. Woofers were maybe $8 each and the tweeters were $2 each. No crossover needed, but i did put some 20 ohm resistors in series with the tweets. They actually sound great! I was most impressed. Those piezo's are about as durable as you can get. For durable woofers spend a little more and get a poly cone with rubber surround.

As far as an amp...if it were me I would just find something old and used.

Geoffcin
02-23-2006, 06:14 PM

3) A cheap tuner. I usually listen to radio while I'm working out there. I'm thinking I could pirate the Sirius tuner out of my wife's car on the weekends so I can listen to sat radio using an FM modulator, but I'm not sure...

What would you guys do?

But if I help you with this, will you help me install a Vortec supercharger on the stang? ;)

Woochifer
02-23-2006, 06:14 PM
I might be thinking about this because an electrician just gave us an estimate for some installation work today, but a "fun" option that comes to mind would entail using the multizone features on your HT receiver. Pull some speaker cable into the garage, and use whatever remote control options your receiver provides to switch the source or change channels. No need to worry about durability, since the components will not move from their current location.

If your receiver lacks sufficient built-in remote options, then you can look into installing an IR repeater or RF transmitter in the garage and connect it to the receiver. I know that Home Theater Master has a slew of options that allow you to control any component from anywhere in the house using one of their RF remotes. This option can even integrate the HT remote with other home automation devices.

http://www.hometheatermaster.com/urc/images/URC-200-72dpi_129x403.jpg
http://www.hometheatermaster.com/urc/images/MRF-100-72dpi_129x182.jpg

http://www.hometheatermaster.com/urc/urc200/main.html
http://www.hometheatermaster.com/urc/mrf100/main.html

Of course, if you need a maximum durability music source that will survive all the abuse that a weekend garage warrior can dish out AND recharge your cordless tool batteries at the same time, here you go (but smack this thing around, you might break your hand!) ...

http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-detail.htm?H=176482&G=54934&I=54975

http://66.77.255.87/Images/BOSCHTOOLS/PB10CDHeroNew_B/WEB_LG/PB10-CD-Hero_B_lg.jpg

paul_pci
02-23-2006, 06:21 PM
My Audio Advisor catalog came yesterday and I was eyeing this Cambrige Audio integrated for $250. That might be a cool solution.

topspeed
02-24-2006, 10:27 AM
well, now you're at 2/3 the cost of a complete new project. So why stop? You could probably find the right size driver, and it would probably work...up to you. cabinet volume would be a determining factor in deciding what drivers could be compatible. Are you saying it might be better to just get one of Ed's kits and build the whole thing? I was hoping to recycle the cabinets, but if that's going to create problems instead, I'll consider a kit (been itchin' to build one of 'em anyway :D). Keep in mind, cost is a real issue with this because, after all, it's for my garage. BTW, the garage is a 3 car garage, so figure 1440sf or apprx. 15,000cf. I'm beginning to think an old receiver may be the way to go.

Option #1.....who needs crossovers? Crossovers are for wussies
What I did was ordered some cheapo 6.5" drivers and some Goldwood piezo tweeters. Woofers were maybe $8 each and the tweeters were $2 each. No crossover needed, but i did put some 20 ohm resistors in series with the tweets. I know you're speaking english, I just have no idea what you're saying :D.

Seriously tho, this was my original idea: throw some PE drivers into the cabinet and let 'er rip. Can I use the existing xover? I would think not, but then I never considered tossing the xover altogether either. How do you know what to use to cut off the fr of the drivers?

But if I help you with this, will you help me install a Vortec supercharger on the stang? Name the time and place. I'm there with wrench in hand ;). BTW, how 'bout some pics? Did you see Ed's new Z06 on the "Fun Rides" thread in OT? Beeyouteefull!!!

Pull some speaker cable into the garage, and use whatever remote control options your receiver provides to switch the source or change channels. No need to worry about durability, since the components will not move from their current location. Ooohhh, that's an interesting proposition. Considering I'm only using 3 of the 7 channels, that's very do-able. The big thing here is that all of my equipment is built into a custom cabinet and getting to the back panel requires an undertaking of epic proportions. This is the sole reason I didn't sign-up to be a reviewer for the site. Switching equipment in and out is a serious pain in the a$$. Bad design on my part, what can I say :rolleyes: ...

Besides, by time I paid someone to crawl through my attic, drop the wires, and pull it to my garage, it'd be less expensive to by something off e-bay, don'tcha think?

That Bosch Power Box is a riot! That answer it too easy tho.

My Audio Advisor catalog came yesterday and I was eyeing this Cambrige Audio integrated for $250. That might be a cool solution. I'm listening to the 540a right now :). Too nice and too much $ for a garage app. Think cheap!

N. Abstentia
02-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Seriously tho, this was my original idea: throw some PE drivers into the cabinet and let 'er rip. Can I use the existing xover? I would think not, but then I never considered tossing the xover altogether either. How do you know what to use to cut off the fr of the drivers?

Quite simply..the crossover is not needed if you choose the right drivers. I use these tweeters:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=270-011
Which are piezo so they do not need crossovers. I put one of these resistors in series with it (inline on the positive lead) just to smooth it out a bit:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=017-20
And I used these woofers:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-305

You didn't say what size you need, but those are 6.5". As you can see from the frequency response of the drivers they mate perfectly. Neither driver needs a crossover. That resistor helps them blend better. I was amazed at how good my little setup sounded, those $2 tweeters are killer. Will they replace your home system? Heck no. Will they sound great in the garage, have wide dispersion, stand up to weather changes and dust without problem? Heck yes! But like I said you might want to look into a poly cone/rubber surround if you're going to leave them in the garage at all times. I'm thinking of replacing mine with these:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-309