DPL Versus DPL2 Please explain [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DPL Versus DPL2 Please explain

EdwardGein
02-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Can someone please clarify the difference between DPL & DPL2 (this was started in another
thread). The way I understand things, perhaps incorrectly is, on a 5.1 receiver when you are playing a 5.1 DVD, the sound will automatically revert to dolby digital 5.1 (unless you use a DTS option). Is this 5.1 DVD going to sound the same on your receiver, whther or not you have DPL or DPL2? I gots to know. Thanks

Eric Z
02-23-2006, 02:30 PM
yes, it will sound the same because you are using DD or DTS. DPL or DPL2 are just enhancements to something when you're not using DD or DTS.

this is my understanding- please correct me if i am wrong.

L.J.
02-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Here's a chart (http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/home/hometheater_surround_chart.html) of all the surrounds formats and their meaning.

bubslewis
02-23-2006, 03:12 PM
Here's a chart (http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/home/hometheater_surround_chart.html) of all the surrounds formats and their meaning.

Excellent chart. I just got a Yamaha RX -V2500 AV receiver and it has most, if not all, of the formats. It's very nice to have your chart instead of leafing thru the manual all the time.

Bill

EdwardGein
02-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the chart which is pretty useful. One thing I'm not clear about, let's forget about DTS in regards to this, but for a regular 5.1 DVD, on a regular system that you are playing 5.1 (I can play 7.1 but don't have this set up that way), then the only and consequently best way to hear this is in dolby digital 5.1 sound? I take it there will never be a Dolby Digital 2, etc?

topspeed
02-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the chart which is pretty useful. One thing I'm not clear about, let's forget about DTS in regards to this, but for a regular 5.1 DVD, on a regular system that you are playing 5.1 (I can play 7.1 but don't have this set up that way), then the only and consequently best way to hear this is in dolby digital 5.1 sound? Correctomundo.

I take it there will never be a Dolby Digital 2, etc?Who knows? Some day some genius may decide that we need 9.1, 10.2, or the big enchilada...13.3! DDex is limited to 6.1, so they'll come out with DD2 or DDexultrasuperpixiesnot or some other such nonsense.

DD has nothing to do with DPL or DPL2, the latter of which is used to matrix 2 channel signals. DD decodes DD, which by their very nature are 5.1 discrete channels.

Cool chart, btw.

Woochifer
02-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Didn't you try the feature out on your JVC integrated receiver? Just about every receiver introduced since 2002 has included DPLII.

And just because a soundtrack is encoded in Dolby Digital does not mean that it's 5.1. Check the back of a DVD cover or look up the playback display on your DVD player if you want to verify that a soundtrack is 5.1 or 2.0.

Woochifer
02-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Who knows? Some day some genius may decide that we need 9.1, 10.2, or the big enchilada...13.3! DDex is limited to 6.1, so they'll come out with DD2 or DDexultrasuperpixiesnot or some other such nonsense.

DD has nothing to do with DPL or DPL2, the latter of which is used to matrix 2 channel signals. DD decodes DD, which by their very nature are 5.1 discrete channels.

Cool chart, btw.

In conjunction with HD-DVD and Blu-ray, an enhanced version of DD called Dolby Digital Plus, as well as a new version of DTS called DTS-HD, will accompany those new video formats. They are backwards compatible with existing DD and DTS decoders, capable of lossless resolution equal to DVD-A, and (I believe) scalable for adding more channels.

Side note - there are multiple configurations for DD, all the way from monophonic to 5.1 and with bitrates ranging from 64k to 448k. DD with a two-channel soundtrack typically runs at a 192k bitrate, while DD 5.1 will either run at 384k or 448k.