Sub for my bedroom? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub for my bedroom?

L.J.
02-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Hey guys, any suggestions on a sub. My bedroom is 11x13 with 8ft ceilings. I'm not sure if I should be looking for a sealed sub or not. I really don't have a budget, but I don't need to over do it. I just need enough to fill the room with some clean bass. Thanks

GMichael
02-23-2006, 11:22 AM
I would go with one of the kits from Parts Express.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-760

This one is probably plenty for what you are doing.
If you like doing things yourself you could put the parts together you need yourself and save.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=259

topspeed
02-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Shouldn't you be doing some thumping of another kind in the bedroom ;)?

Seriously tho, for a small room where you won't be doing any critical listening, I'd go the Dayton route from partsexpress.

GMichael
02-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Shouldn't you be doing some thumping of another kind in the bedroom ;)?

Seriously tho, for a small room where you won't be doing any critical listening, I'd go the Dayton route from partsexpress.

Stop that.

L.J.
02-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks guys. I may look into getting a kit.

If I browse other options, should I 100% be looking at sealed subs, due to the room size?

Side note: Mr. Topspeed, lil LJ here is plenty proof of a little too much thumping going on in the bedroom. Besides, there are more advantages to having a 5.1 system in the bedroom, than watching the latest action flics ;)

GMichael
02-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys. I may look into getting a kit.

If I browse other options, should I 100% be looking at sealed subs, due to the room size?

Side note: Mr. Topspeed, lil LJ here is plenty proof of a little too much thumping going on in the bedroom. Besides, there are more advantages to having a 5.1 system in the bedroom, than watching the latest action flics ;)

What kind of action? No wait, please don't answer that.

100%? Hard to say. You can get good or bad in either. For the most part, sealed subs will give you a tighter response but don't go as loud. In a bedroom you souldn't need much volume so sealed seems better. When Kex gets involved, I'm sure he'll give you a list of pros and cons for both. The kits from PE seem nice. Or you could just order the components and build your own box. A 4' by 8', 3/4" MDF board can be had for about $22. Home Depot or Lowes will cut them up anyway you like too. As I recall you get the first 4 or 5 cuts free, then .25 for each cut after that.

LMB
02-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Check out Velodyne SPL 800R

PAT.P
02-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Hey guys, any suggestions on a sub. My bedroom is 11x13 with 8ft ceilings. I'm not sure if I should be looking for a sealed sub or not. I really don't have a budget, but I don't need to over do it. I just need enough to fill the room with some clean bass. ThanksAre you going to remove all the furniture (bed ,dresser ) put polar bear carpet on floor with pillows?The sub going to bounce sound all over the place. I would go with one with driver at the bottom,at least the sound will travel. :D

kexodusc
02-24-2006, 05:29 AM
I've built a lot of subs of both types this past year. The more subs I listen to the more I prefer sealed subs, so it's safe to say I have a certain bias here. :)
That said, I think a sealed sub might be best for your small bedroom here. It'll benefit more from the room's transfer function (room gain) and should provide a bit tighter, and more accurate response. This should compensate for any loss in SPL a sealed design has compared to a ported. It probably won't play quite as low as a ported sub could, though.
Let's see, some quick math here:
13 ft is your longest dimension so,
565/13 = 43 Hz...where room gain starts...Then theoretical room gain will be +12 dB at 21.5Hz.
Won't exactly work that way, but it gives you an idea. Your sealed sub rolls off at a the rate the room gain adds, so it effectively extends the output. Great in small rooms!!! A ported sub rolls off so fast that room gains contribution is minimal, but the ported design extends response. Some argue a sealed sub actually sounds more "full" or deeper because of this. I'd say it's close, with the edge going to porteds in my experience.
I don't think high - mid 20's Hz response is out of the question for you if you go with the 10" Titanic kit.

You up for building one? I could think of some better options that would be a bit more customized to your needs.

Robert Smith
02-24-2006, 06:15 AM
Partsexpress.com is a good route and it's a chance to play with sharp objects and accidently cut yourself. Make sure you wear jeans and safety glasses. Having a subwoofer under your bed could prove interesting. That gives me a idea......you could call it the PartSexPress.

L.J.
02-24-2006, 07:23 AM
You up for building one? I could think of some better options that would be a bit more customized to your needs.

Whadaya thinking Kex?

I'd perfer to do a kit, rather than having to cut wood and what not. The kit that Topspeed and GM suggested seems perfect, nice price too.

kexodusc
02-24-2006, 07:36 AM
I built the 12" Titanic for my parents (my first DIY project a few years ago). It's a super nice sub for sure. It is a bit pricey for 2 reasons. The woofer is a high output design, good quality throughout, but doesn't come cheap. The cabinet is also pretty pricey, but it is pre-finished/cut.

Still, I had a Paradigm PW-2200 at the time that couldn't keep up, not even close. The Titanic sounded much stronger, tighter, more accurate, whatever you want to call it.

You could buy the cabinet from PE and sub in a different woofer/amp combo and save some money, but you'd probably need to cut holes in the cabinet. If that's not an option, then you're probably best off with something like the Titanic Kit.

Normally I don't recommend the 10" version. But your small room is the exception. It should thrive in there.

L.J.
02-24-2006, 09:19 AM
You could buy the cabinet from PE and sub in a different woofer/amp combo and save some money, but you'd probably need to cut holes in the cabinet. If that's not an option, then you're probably best off with something like the Titanic Kit.

I really just don't want to bother with the cutting. I don't have the proper tools anyways. So I'm looking at $420 including shipping. Kex, if you think this kit is enough, than I'll trust your judgement. Can you think of any other subs in that price range that will match the performance of the 10" Titanic Kit?

kexodusc
02-24-2006, 11:20 AM
I really just don't want to bother with the cutting. I don't have the proper tools anyways. So I'm looking at $420 including shipping. Kex, if you think this kit is enough, than I'll trust your judgement. Can you think of any other subs in that price range that will match the performance of the 10" Titanic Kit?

I can't think of any "kits" of the top of my head with cabinets that are close in price that I've heard myself or from relibable sources that I'd compare to the Titanic. If you had a router I could think of alternative woofers that would work in that box and do as well or better for less money. The Titanic woofer are good woofers, but they tend to me "jacks of all trades, masters of none", as the saying goes. Are you looking for max SPL? Good sound quality? Low frequency extension? Wll this be used for music or movies exclusively? A bit of both?

I'm confident you'll be happy either way. If you're not, I'm sure PE would take it back under their return policy.

No worries though. As a complete kit it's a great deal. I thought shipping was free on this thing?

I haven't heard the 10" version in the kit included cabinet. I've heard it in 2 other cabinets, one larger ported, one larger sealed. The sealed one I heard was designed exlusively to integrate with the owners stereo speakers. It played down to 29 Hz or so, but was all that he needed for his music. He sold a $700 Velodyne and used the money to buy the parts.
I seriously doubt you'll find an SVS or Hsu sub for that money that would sound as good. It might play lower or louder though. Maybe different, but I doubt better. I know the closest thing Paradigm would have would be the PW-2100. I owned one briefly. My parents 12" Titanic was better than my PW-2200 in just about every way. The PW-2200 played a tiny bit louder, but I never pushed it that hard anyway. I'm suspecting the PW-2100 would perform similarly against the 10" version.
Vance Dickason had a hand in designing these. He's no stranger to designing subs, does a lot of consulting work for companies like Velodyne and TC Sounds. He wrote the DIY speaker builder's "bible".

Adire use to sell the Rava for $400, which might have been a better option for you. You might be able to find one used?

Or if you can be patient, those Titanic subs get sold by PE on ebay quite often...I'm sure one would turn up soon enough at a bit of a discount.

L.J.
02-24-2006, 01:34 PM
I can't think of any "kits" of the top of my head with cabinets that are close in price that I've heard myself or from relibable sources that I'd compare to the Titanic. If you had a router I could think of alternative woofers that would work in that box and do as well or better for less money. The Titanic woofer are good woofers, but they tend to me "jacks of all trades, masters of none", as the saying goes. Are you looking for max SPL? Good sound quality? Low frequency extension? Wll this be used for music or movies exclusively? A bit of both?

I'm confident you'll be happy either way. If you're not, I'm sure PE would take it back under their return policy.

No worries though. As a complete kit it's a great deal. I thought shipping was free on this thing?

I haven't heard the 10" version in the kit included cabinet. I've heard it in 2 other cabinets, one larger ported, one larger sealed. The sealed one I heard was designed exlusively to integrate with the owners stereo speakers. It played down to 29 Hz or so, but was all that he needed for his music. He sold a $700 Velodyne and used the money to buy the parts.
I seriously doubt you'll find an SVS or Hsu sub for that money that would sound as good. It might play lower or louder though. Maybe different, but I doubt better. I know the closest thing Paradigm would have would be the PW-2100. I owned one briefly. My parents 12" Titanic was better than my PW-2200 in just about every way. The PW-2200 played a tiny bit louder, but I never pushed it that hard anyway. I'm suspecting the PW-2100 would perform similarly against the 10" version.
Vance Dickason had a hand in designing these. He's no stranger to designing subs, does a lot of consulting work for companies like Velodyne and TC Sounds. He wrote the DIY speaker builder's "bible".

Adire use to sell the Rava for $400, which might have been a better option for you. You might be able to find one used?

Or if you can be patient, those Titanic subs get sold by PE on ebay quite often...I'm sure one would turn up soon enough at a bit of a discount.

Does PE ever do a free shipping offer or something like that?

I looked up the estimated shipping and it was about $60. That brings the price up to $420. The sub will be mostly for movies, with music going along for the ride. I will do some peeping around and hopefully something will pop up on ebay or something. I picked up some surrounds on Audiogon today, so that kinda put the sub thing on hold for a little bit. (WAF. Funny how wifee never cared about my HT habits, until it moved into the bedroom)

The Titanic seems to offer alot for $358 and that's probably a good price point for a bedroom sub. I have a few buddies with the tools I would need so maybe building one is a good idea. Especially since I'm under radar now. I guess I cant blame her since the 2.0 project somehow morphed into 5.1. Perhaps I should play it like Pat P and slip new speakers in on the quiet. :D

Anyways, if you have time Kex, perhaps you can provide some links to that orginal money saving plan you had so I can put that on my options list when the time is right.

Thanks for all the replies everyone

GMichael
02-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Perhaps I should play it like Pat P and slip new speakers in on the quiet. :D

I have an HTIB system in the bedroom. Once in a while, when I am home alone I switch out a couple of the crappy speakers for the Infinty's from my main system. The main system is all boxed up for our eventual move. At that time I'll need new speakers for that system.

kexodusc
02-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Well, LJ, there's several other woofers out there, some 10, some 12" that are cheaper than the Titanic woofers. I'd recommend the 240 watt plate amp and one of those....I'd have too look. Throw in another $100 for the cabinet if you can't build it yourself, and you're probably down to about $280 plus shipping. If you can build a cabinet, you just need a sheet of MDF for $20 and $15 to finish it with paint/vinyl laminate, etc. Maybe $200- $210 plus $30 for shipping (less weight without the cabinet).

I've built 3 subs for people now that use an 8" woofer and a 70 watt amp. Ported mind you, but it would do wonders in a small room. Very efficient woofer so you don't need more than 70 watts unless you want serious party volumes (but this is a secondary bedroom system right?). These cost me about $100 to build. They'll outperform your basic entry level $300-$400 10" woofers no problem at all. 5 years back I had an old PDR-12 from Paradigm. I think it cost me $450 or something. The little 8" woofer sounds much more musical. (but won't play as loud). You just need to build a box, or buy a pre-made cabinet.
Subs are easy. You'll find the cabinets are always the single most expensive part of speakers (unless you're using $200 drivers, but very few do). You save a ton if you can build your own cabinets (or know someone who can).

PAT.P
02-24-2006, 06:18 PM
L.J. Im past the radar limit,and if she ever finds the stuff in hidding in laundry room Im history.The power amp will probably send me to the dog house.Guess I should do laundry for a few months so she does'nt snoop.Just last week somebody at one of the church I take care ,gave me 2 Heathkit tube amp and tube FM tuner.These were free so no problem,not that big and sound great.

L.J.
02-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Well, LJ, there's several other woofers out there, some 10, some 12" that are cheaper than the Titanic woofers. I'd recommend the 240 watt plate amp and one of those....I'd have too look. Throw in another $100 for the cabinet if you can't build it yourself, and you're probably down to about $280 plus shipping. If you can build a cabinet, you just need a sheet of MDF for $20 and $15 to finish it with paint/vinyl laminate, etc. Maybe $200- $210 plus $30 for shipping (less weight without the cabinet).

I've built 3 subs for people now that use an 8" woofer and a 70 watt amp. Ported mind you, but it would do wonders in a small room. Very efficient woofer so you don't need more than 70 watts unless you want serious party volumes (but this is a secondary bedroom system right?). These cost me about $100 to build. They'll outperform your basic entry level $300-$400 10" woofers no problem at all. 5 years back I had an old PDR-12 from Paradigm. I think it cost me $450 or something. The little 8" woofer sounds much more musical. (but won't play as loud). You just need to build a box, or buy a pre-made cabinet.
Subs are easy. You'll find the cabinets are always the single most expensive part of speakers (unless you're using $200 drivers, but very few do). You save a ton if you can build your own cabinets (or know someone who can).

Thanks Kex and the rest of you guys!!! I will most likely go the PE route, unless something pops up on ebay that catches my eye.

L.J.
02-24-2006, 06:57 PM
L.J. Im past the radar limit,and if she ever finds the stuff in hidding in laundry room Im history.The power amp will probably send me to the dog house.Guess I should do laundry for a few months so she does'nt snoop.Just last week somebody at one of the church I take care ,gave me 2 Heathkit tube amp and tube FM tuner.These were free so no problem,not that big and sound great.

I was just nicely asked not to make our bedroom look like a HT and somehow I managed to do the exact opposite. Perhaps I can throw some more pictures and fake plants in there to blend things up :D

PAT.P
02-24-2006, 07:26 PM
I was just nicely asked not to make our bedroom look like a HT and somehow I managed to do the exact opposite. Perhaps I can throw some more pictures and fake plants in there to blend things up :DMy bedroom is off limit for HT,you should buy those rock speaker.Maybe if you put some mirror on ceiling she'll forgive you :D What about this one,think she would notice?

L.J.
02-24-2006, 07:58 PM
My bedroom is off limit for HT,you should buy those rock speaker.Maybe if you put some mirror on ceiling she'll forgive you :D What about this one,think she would notice?

LOL...Oh that's too funny. Perhaps with some nice plants she wont notice :D

PAT.P
02-24-2006, 08:18 PM
LOL...Oh that's too funny. Perhaps with some nice plants she wont notice :DHere are the Plant Speaker by Sonance :D

GMichael
02-25-2006, 06:02 AM
Someone should make a 5.1 pet rock speaker system. "Oh honey, they have to be kept away from each other or they'll fight." Good luck. The plant speakers look nice Pat.P.

L.J.
02-25-2006, 07:02 AM
Here are the Plant Speaker by Sonance :D

Nice. I already have some of those for the yard. They sound pretty good too. Well everything sounds good to me anyways.

GM, pet rock collection in 5.1 positioning. Haha, lol. That would raise a few eyebrows.

L.J.
03-01-2006, 06:27 AM
Well I ended up going with the 10" Titanic kit at PE. Thanks Kex and the rest of you guys for the advice. The free shipping offer popped up, so I said what the hell and jumped on it. I know I could've saved some $$ going with seperate pieces, but I started thinking about the hassle of it all and decided to pay a little extra simply for the convenience. $358 is a nice price, and I trust you guys advice that this is gonna be an excellent sub.

So now I have a bunch of boxes on the way to the house that wifee doesn't know about. My surrounds should be here any day also. This should be fun......especially when I pull the I saved us some money by going with Audiogon and a sub kit(hey..women pull that all the time....Oh, I got these $300 worth of cloths, but honey, it was all on sale).

Is it possible that I'm turning to Pat P :eek: . What's next? Am I gonna start hiding amps and Verita's throughout the house? Maybe hook em up when no ones home and hope no one notices. :D

L.J.
03-01-2006, 06:58 AM
Let us know 2 things:

A: If you have any trouble putting it together.
2: How it sounds when you're done.
C: How your wife reacts.

Hmm......what's wrong with this picture? GM, did you skip your coffee this morning :D

GMichael
03-01-2006, 06:59 AM
Well I ended up going with the 10" Titanic kit at PE. Thanks Kex and the rest of you guys for the advice. The free shipping offer popped up, so I said what the hell and jumped on it. I know I could've saved some $$ going with seperate pieces, but I started thinking about the hassle of it all and decided to pay a little extra simply for the convenience. $358 is a nice price, and I trust you guys advice that this is gonna be an excellent sub.

So now I have a bunch of boxes on the way to the house that wifee doesn't know about. My surrounds should be here any day also. This should be fun......especially when I pull the I saved us some money by going with Audiogon and a sub kit(hey..women pull that all the time....Oh, I got these $300 worth of cloths, but honey, it was all on sale).

Is it possible that I'm turning to Pat P :eek: . What's next? Am I gonna start hiding amps and Verita's throughout the house? Maybe hook em up when no ones home and hope no one notices. :D

Let us know 2 things:

C: How your wife reacts.

GMichael
03-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Hmm......what's wrong with this picture? GM, did you skip your coffee this morning :D

Two: A, 2, C..

What's wrong with that? Don't you know your AB3's?

PAT.P
03-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Is it possible that I'm turning to Pat P :eek: . What's next? Am I gonna start hiding amps and Verita's throughout the house? Maybe hook em up when no ones home and hope no one notices. :DI only have 1 power amp,2 channel (300 watts at 4ohms) and 2 center channel in hidding :D

PAT.P
03-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Let us know 2 things:

C: How your wife reacts.You know how is wife going to react ,he better vulunteer as we speak to do dishes ,laundry ,is manly duty for the next few months :D Got to admit he as guts,I would never bring sub in bedroom.Try to follow the beat while you doing itttttttttttt.Are you able to go down to 20 hz movement? :D

GMichael
03-01-2006, 11:28 AM
You know how is wife going to react ,he better vulunteer as we speak to do dishes ,laundry ,is manly duty for the next few months :D Got to admit he as guts,I would never bring sub in bedroom.Try to follow the beat while you doing itttttttttttt.Are you able to go down to 20 hz movement? :D

Nuthin' wrong with a little extra thumpin'.

PAT.P
03-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Nuthin' wrong with a little extra thumpin'.It surely going to leave a bruise :D

L.J.
03-01-2006, 03:59 PM
You know how is wife going to react ,he better vulunteer as we speak to do dishes ,laundry ,is manly duty for the next few months :D Got to admit he as guts,I would never bring sub in bedroom.Try to follow the beat while you doing itttttttttttt.Are you able to go down to 20 hz movement? :D

Actually, I do a little bit of housework already. Not much, just enough to keep the little lady happy. The little bit of effort toward housework goes a long way.

20hz!! Please!! I can go way lower than that ;)

PAT.P
03-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Actually, I do a little bit of housework already. Not much, just enough to keep the little lady happy. The little bit of effort toward housework goes a long way.

20hz!! Please!! I can go way lower than that ;)Dont do much housework I do this for a living taking care of 2 church.When the wife complain in cleaning 2,000sq ft in a week I tell her to try cleaning 20,000sq ft each day . :D

GMichael
03-02-2006, 06:21 AM
Dont do much housework I do this for a living taking care of 2 church.When the wife complain in cleaning 2,000sq ft in a week I tell her to try cleaning 20,000sq ft each day . :D

Wife does the cleaning, I do the cooking and take care of anything outside.
I buy the stereo, she listens to it.
I hook up the HT, we watch chick flicks.
I run free on Saturdays while she goes to work. (heh heh heh.....)

L.J.
03-02-2006, 06:52 AM
Ok so here's the scoop. Instead of being a jerk and have 3 boxes show up at the door, starting today, I broke the news to wifee. I was like, hey can you keep an eye out, I got some boxes comig to the house. And she was like, let me guess speakers right?

Then she said: I hope you got those C-1's you were looking at. I agree that the surrounds should timbre match to give us that seamless transition from front to rear. Oh, you only got the 10" kit? Well why'd you do that? You should have got the 12" kit. Well hurry up and get it all calibrated, once it gets here. I can't wait to here the difference between this system and our main one up front. Well, since you've been working so hard on this, why don't you take a break. Here's a beer in your favorite chilled mug. Well the kids are sleep and we have some spare time, why dont we..............(LJ wakes up)

Ok so I was day dreaming. Where was I. Oh yeah, she was like, let me guess speakers right? Then she kinda gave me a look and that was the end of that. So I guess it went better than I thought it would.

GMichael
03-02-2006, 07:26 AM
Ok so here's the scoop. Instead of being a jerk and have 3 boxes show up at the door, starting today, I broke the news to wifee. I was like, hey can you keep an eye out, I got some boxes comig to the house. And she was like, let me guess speakers right?

Then she said: I hope you got those C-1's you were looking at. I agree that the surrounds should timbre match to give us that seamless transition from front to rear. Oh, you only got the 10" kit? Well why'd you do that? You should have got the 12" kit. Well hurry up and get it all calibrated, once it gets here. I can't wait to here the difference between this system and our main one up front. Well, since you've been working so hard on this, why don't you take a break. Here's a beer in your favorite chilled mug. Well the kids are sleep and we have some spare time, why dont we..............(LJ wakes up)

Ok so I was day dreaming. Where was I. Oh yeah, she was like, let me guess speakers right? Then she kinda gave me a look and that was the end of that. So I guess it went better than I thought it would.

Oh my G.d dude! How could you do that to me? My heart was thumping and I had this warm feeling all over. Then you dropped my heart like a brick, and I felt icy cold.

OH IT HURTS SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PAT.P
03-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Ok so I was day dreaming. Where was I. Oh yeah, she was like, let me guess speakers right? Then she kinda gave me a look and that was the end of that. So I guess it went better than I thought it would.The" LOOK "is not a good thing!You really think it went better than you thought? Your toast ,its been nice knowing you :D Sleep with one eye open ,make sure you have house key when you go out.Make an escape plan,if you see a shadow with knife when your in the shower .If a registered letter comes to the door with lawyer label on top ,dont even sign for it :D

GMichael
03-02-2006, 11:41 AM
The" LOOK "is not a good thing!You really think it went better than you thought? Your toast ,its been nice knowing you :D Sleep with one eye open ,make sure you have house key when you go out.Make an escape plan,if you see a shadow with knife when your in the shower .If a registered letter comes to the door with lawyer label on top ,dont even sign for it :D

Oh it won't be THAT bad. But don't count on it being done LJ. You will have to pay something, somehow or somewhere. She may come home one day with a boat-load of worthless crap. If you ask her what's up, you'll get another look, and then a remember when speech. Or she'll start bugging you for a new diamond or other jewlery. Oh yeah, it's not over yet. Not by a long shot.

Serves you right for getting my hopes up like that. My heart still hurts.

L.J.
03-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Does GM know women or what! Odds are, she's gonna go on a little shopping spree soon and I can't say nothing about it. Not that I usually do, but this time she may have a few more bags than normal. As long as one of those bags say Victoria Secrets, I could care less how much she spent. That's a house rule ;) . Anymore tips and I'm gonna have to charge.....

My C-1's should be coming today. I will try not to :D as I open the box and just play it :cool: .

GMichael
03-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Does GM know women or what!

Unfortunately, I know that no matter how cute and cuddly they seem to be, they always have a dark side. When my wife first saw it snow (she's from the Philippines) she asked me how the wild animals would survive. What will the squirrels & birds eat? She even asked if we could leave the downstairs door open for them to come in and get warm. Now that's adorable. But I would put money on, that if we were walking in the woods, and I got my leg caught in a bear trap, that she'd laugh till she couldn't walk. And after she wiped the tears from her eyes she's tell me what an idiot I was. "That trap has probably been there for weeks. All the bears were smart enough to walk around it. But you? No, you have to step right in it. How stupid are you anyhow?" Then she'd tell me that I probably expect her to go for help now. She was all ready for a nice walk and now she has to drop everything and go get her idiot husband help. This will cost me. Now I owe her.

Odds are, she's gonna go on a little shopping spree soon and I can't say nothing about it. Not that I usually do, but this time she may have a few more bags than normal. As long as one of those bags say Victoria Secrets, I could care less how much she spent.

Vicky S huh? Go shopping babe. I'll even go with her (my wife, not yours). There are always a few hot babes there checking out something. But there may also be one of those 400 pounders holding up a G-string that looks like a bull whip. No honey! Put that down! Now back away from the table. Slowly turn and leave the store. Why do they make those in that size anyhow?

My C-1's should be coming today. I will try not to :D as I open the box and just play it :cool: .

Good luck. Keep your head down. But keep an eye out for what's to come.

thekid
03-02-2006, 05:03 PM
"Then she kinda gave me a look and that was the end of that. So I guess it went better than I thought it would."

Think of that "look" as a display mode.....
Inside the brain is calculating the appropriate measured response at a time and date to be determined.
Upon detonation ( if you are able to survive the initial blast wave ) you will have 30 seconds to take action. Choose carefully your action or those will become very expensive speakers that you will be paying for for years to come..... :)

L.J.
03-03-2006, 06:26 AM
You guys are funny! :D I'll have to have my wife read this for kicks.....well after I get my speakers of course.

Dang UPS!!! Never showed up with m C-1's yesterday. :mad:

L.J.
03-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Kex, I started on my sub kit but when I got to the amp mounting part, I discovered that the amp does not sit flush inside the precut amp cutout. If you look at the pic, you'll see that the left side is flush but the right is out about a 1/4". This couldn't be right. Whaddaya think? I can't call PE until the morning.

PAT.P
03-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Kex, I started on my sub kit but when I got to the amp mounting part, I discovered that the amp does not sit flush inside the precut amp cutout. If you look at the pic, you'll see that the left side is flush but the right is out about a 1/4". This couldn't be right. Whaddaya think? I can't call PE until the morning.LJ did you measure the amp plate to see if its bigger ,if not might need a bit of pressure to push it in.Dont screw it until its flush all around.Looks at an angle from here.Good luck

L.J.
03-08-2006, 09:10 PM
LJ did you measure the amp plate to see if its bigger ,if not might need a bit of pressure to push it in.Dont screw it until its flush all around.Looks at an angle from here.Good luck I tried to push it down with no luck. I may pick up a router at Home Depot tomorrow so I can smooth out the edges on the precut. I don't wanna ship this back to PE and have to go through another UPS fiasco again. I'll call PE tomorrow to see what they say.

PAT.P
03-08-2006, 09:35 PM
I tried to push it down with no luck. I may pick up a router at Home Depot tomorrow so I can smooth out the edges on the precut. I don't wanna ship this back to PE and have to go through another UPS fiasco again. I'll call PE tomorrow to see what they say.Good luck! Any of your friend have one?A Router Zip would work fine too.Make a template(patern of amp plate) on carboard and center it.

kexodusc
03-09-2006, 03:20 AM
LJ, you've been having some bad luck this week.
These are made for PE by some machine shop as I understand it. I've never heard of anything not fitting (you'd see complaints on PE's forum if it were common), and mine certainly fit perfectly.

I think I'd be more inclined to use a Dremel tool and sand it down, but a router would work. Just be carefull.

When I flush mount my plate amps, I almost always spend 30 minutes of minor surgery. I take a utility knife or chisel to the cutout for the plate amp and remove just enough MDF for it to fit, then sand it flush. Depends how far off the cutout it is. I can't really tell by the picture. I find the countersunk amp cutout to be the toughest cut on a sub. Lots of DIYers don't bother.

What bit would use on the router? Is the cutout big enough? A bearing flush trim bit won't be any good to you if it's too small, and flush trim bit could end up taking too much off. That might be worse.

This should be very easy to fix without a router, but might take a bit of time and frustration...that's the fun part of DIY...You should see how many speaker cabinets I've launched out my shop in frustration :D

You could call PE. I'm very certain they'd do what it takes to make things right. Downside is the wait time, and extra cost for a shipping upgrade. Fixing this yourself might be easier. Your call.

L.J.
03-09-2006, 07:09 AM
LJ, you've been having some bad luck this week.
These are made for PE by some machine shop as I understand it. I've never heard of anything not fitting (you'd see complaints on PE's forum if it were common), and mine certainly fit perfectly.

I think I'd be more inclined to use a Dremel tool and sand it down, but a router would work. Just be carefull.

When I flush mount my plate amps, I almost always spend 30 minutes of minor surgery. I take a utility knife or chisel to the cutout for the plate amp and remove just enough MDF for it to fit, then sand it flush. Depends how far off the cutout it is. I can't really tell by the picture. I find the countersunk amp cutout to be the toughest cut on a sub. Lots of DIYers don't bother.

What bit would use on the router? Is the cutout big enough? A bearing flush trim bit won't be any good to you if it's too small, and flush trim bit could end up taking too much off. That might be worse.

This should be very easy to fix without a router, but might take a bit of time and frustration...that's the fun part of DIY...You should see how many speaker cabinets I've launched out my shop in frustration :D

You could call PE. I'm very certain they'd do what it takes to make things right. Downside is the wait time, and extra cost for a shipping upgrade. Fixing this yourself might be easier. Your call.

Kex, your post got me thinking so I said the hell with the router. I pulled out a utility knife and some precision cutting tools and after about 30 mins of labor it finally fit snuggly into place. Seems that two of the corners were not properly cut out so I had to go over those corners a few times.

GMichael
03-09-2006, 07:23 AM
Dude! Speakers in, sub almost ready. Sounds like you are almost ready for lift-off.
T-minus 25 and counting...........

kexodusc
03-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Glad it worked out...dude, that $140 I just saved you, we can split it :ihih:

I know flush mounted amps look cool on the back of the sub, but I don't know why we go to all that trouble...they work just as well sticking out a 1/4 an inch.

L.J.
03-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Glad it worked out...dude, that $140 I just saved you, we can split it :ihih:

I know flush mounted amps look cool on the back of the sub, but I don't know why we go to all that trouble...they work just as well sticking out a 1/4 an inch.

I think for most guys, being off by a 1/4 in looks more like being off by 6 in.

L.J.
03-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Quick question for anyone. What the heck are those little arrows on sub woofer cables for?

GMichael
03-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Quick question for anyone. What the heck are those little arrows on sub woofer cables for?

They indicate the direction the electrons flow when in use. :yikes:

kexodusc
03-09-2006, 01:02 PM
They indicate the direction the electrons flow when in use. :yikes:

Except you could you plug it in backwards and electrons will still flow against the direction of the arrow. My understanding is the arrows are pointing at the grounded RCA, the other one is lifted...theoretically it could reduce noise with some gear I guess, most gear won't exhibit any difference, but depending who you believe there are either very minor, or no benefits what so ever. Can't hurt, I guess. I had mine plugged in backwards for 2 years. Didn't sound any different when I corrected it.

L.J.
03-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Finished the sub this morning. Pretty simple to put together. I still gotta tweak. I did give this baby a U57-1 test drive and BAM!!!!, this bad boy can hit hard. Plenty, and I mean plenty of bass. Room was filled nicely. This is a keeper. Thanks for all the advice guys. :cornut:

GMichael
03-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Can't hear it here yet. Can you turn it up a little?

kexodusc
03-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Finished the sub this morning. Pretty simple to put together. I still gotta tweak. I did give this baby a U57-1 test drive and BAM!!!!, this bad boy can hit hard. Plenty, and I mean plenty of bass. Room was filled nicely. This is a keeper. Thanks for all the advice guys. :cornut:
Sounds like you're happy so far...I'm sure you'll love this sub. I foresee it being the first of many DIY projects...seriously, I haven't heard a sub for the price that comes close in output and sound quality other than competing kits. And I don't think there's many of those out there.
Next up, a BFD to get you all eq'd...Enjoy.

Alpha 846
03-10-2006, 01:53 AM
I am new here and have read this thread with interest. I also will be looking for a sub for my bedroom soon. About the same dimensions 11x13x9'ceiling. I currently have an Energy ES-8 which I like very much. However, I will be selling it with the whole Take 5 system (that's a diff. story).

This 10" Titanic sounds like a great buy (I read the Wes Philips review). However, I have a problem with arthritic hands and think I might have a problem with a kit. I was looking at the LFM-2 from Outlaw at $299 if anyone is familiar with it. I simply want to know if you guys think this might be in the same class as the Titanic? I would then pursue researching it further.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm2.html

Maybe I should be asking my question in a new thread? Wasn't sure since this is sort of connected.

My apologies if I shouldn't be posting this question here. Thanks for any help or direction.

GMichael
03-10-2006, 06:20 AM
I am new here and have read this thread with interest. I also will be looking for a sub for my bedroom soon. About the same dimensions 11x13x9'ceiling. I currently have an Energy ES-8 which I like very much. However, I will be selling it with the whole Take 5 system (that's a diff. story).

This 10" Titanic sounds like a great buy (I read the Wes Philips review). However, I have a problem with arthritic hands and think I might have a problem with a kit. I was looking at the LFM-2 from Outlaw at $299 if anyone is familiar with it. I simply want to know if you guys think this might be in the same class as the Titanic? I would then pursue researching it further.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm2.html

Maybe I should be asking my question in a new thread? Wasn't sure since this is sort of connected.

My apologies if I shouldn't be posting this question here. Thanks for any help or direction.

Hi Alpha,

Welcome to AR.
I don't know about the Outlaw. Never heard it. But for a few extra $$ you can get a pre-assembled kit from PE. Here are a few to choose from.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&DID=7&CAT_ID=43&ObjectGroup_ID=620&SO=2

kexodusc
03-10-2006, 06:50 AM
Hi Alpha,

Welcome to AR.
I don't know about the Outlaw. Never heard it. But for a few extra $$ you can get a pre-assembled kit from PE. Here are a few to choose from.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&Webpage_ID=3&DID=7&CAT_ID=43&ObjectGroup_ID=620&SO=2

Judging by the specs alone (which generally do tell the whole story when it comes to subs), I think there are better options for the money than Outlaw. Outlaw makes good amps and are very popular for HT solutions (receivers, preamp/processors), but those subs look rather mediocre. I think you could do better elsewhere.

Those small Parts Express subs are comparable, and a lot cheaper, too. A Titanic would be a whole other ball game.

L.J.
03-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Sounds like you're happy so far...I'm sure you'll love this sub. I foresee it being the first of many DIY projects...seriously, I haven't heard a sub for the price that comes close in output and sound quality other than competing kits. And I don't think there's many of those out there.
Next up, a BFD to get you all eq'd...Enjoy.

Kex, your already trying to pressure me into spending more $$$$. I'm telling wifee on you :hand:

PAT.P
03-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Kex, your already trying to pressure me into spending more $$$$. I'm telling wifee on you :hand:Kex get your hands out of his pockets :ihih:

Alpha 846
03-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks much for your replies.

L.J.
03-10-2006, 02:43 PM
First I was screwed by UPS, then I have to do surgery to my PE subwoofer cabinent.

Well last night i ran my auto setup on my Onkyo and the dang mic decided it couldn't hear the surround speakers. I ran it maybe 5 or 6 times and it kept putting the surrounds as none although there were test tones coming from them. I will try it again tonight to see if I can get it going. Not sure if the problem would be the mic or the Onkyo.

Anybody else have problems with their auto setup?

kexodusc
03-10-2006, 03:09 PM
I find them all pretty fussy, but never had that happen before. Is there a setting that has to be switched on, perhaps?

L.J.
03-10-2006, 03:17 PM
I find them all pretty fussy, but never had that happen before. Is there a setting that has to be switched on, perhaps?

No. You put the setup mic in and the AVR recognizes it and starts the setup process after you click enter on the remote. It worked fine the first time I tried it but I didn't like the results so I ran it again. Test tones went through each channel as normal but the results came back as no surrounds. I ran it a few more times and then turned it off and tried a half hour later with the same outcome.

L.J.
03-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Hmm....I just gave it another test run and it worked fine this time, go figure. I just don't trust these things. Measurements seem ok but I'm gonna triple check. It would be nice if it got it right the first time and had the same results each time. I still gotta lot of tweaking to do.

GMichael
03-10-2006, 04:50 PM
No. You put the setup mic in and the AVR recognizes it and starts the setup process after you click enter on the remote. It worked fine the first time I tried it but I didn't like the results so I ran it again. Test tones went through each channel as normal but the results came back as no surrounds. I ran it a few more times and then turned it off and tried a half hour later with the same outcome.

My Yammie was a little tempra-'mentle' last time I ran the auto-setup. It left out the rears even though tones were coming from them. I ran it again with the same results. Tried a 3rd time and everything was fine. Didn't press my luck, and just sent the settings to memory. Tweeked them after that.

L.J.
03-10-2006, 05:07 PM
My Yammie was a little tempra-'mentle' last time I ran the auto-setup. It left out the rears even though tones were coming from them. I ran it again with the same results. Tried a 3rd time and everything was fine. Didn't press my luck, and just sent the settings to memory. Tweeked them after that.

So I guess this is normal then. I've never had any problems with my Denon's mic. it does seem to be built better than the Onkyo's though. Don't know if that makes a diff. My Denon always gives accurate results.

GMichael
03-11-2006, 05:40 AM
Don't see how it could be the mics fault. But then again, something is going on. I just figured that the computer was having a bad day & needed a hug. Or a fresh cup of really hot tea.

L.J.
03-11-2006, 06:57 AM
Don't see how it could be the mics fault. But then again, something is going on. I just figured that the computer was having a bad day & needed a hug. Or a fresh cup of really hot tea.

Have you calibrated the old fashioned way and compared with the auto setup on your yammie? Were the results right on?

GMichael
03-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Have you calibrated the old fashioned way and compared with the auto setup on your yammie? Were the results right on?

No, I never did make it to Radio Shack. But it came out so well that I just took it for granted.

L.J.
03-13-2006, 01:14 PM
I picked up stands and set everything up this weekend. Got the C-1's in place and man do they sound nice. I don't think I could ever get used to a unmatched system after knowing what matched system sounds like. I used the auto setup but haven't had a chance to double anything yet. Everything sounds great, but I haven't had a chance to give my bedroom system a proper breakin yet. You know, something like U-571 or Jurassic Park III. I watched Rocky II last night and it sounded pretty good, but I want let this baby rip.