Awesome, amazing, incredible indie rock comp inside! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Awesome, amazing, incredible indie rock comp inside!

Slosh
02-23-2006, 12:36 AM
Okay, so a lot of you will be very familiar with most of the songs here but hey, it's a good listen with nice flow and all you have to do is click your mouse a few times. Actually I made it for a friend who says she has a difficult time finding new music she likes. Sure, I could have just sent her a CD-R but I wanted to try the ysi thingy. It's twenty tracks at a CD-R friendly length of 79:49 and in wma lossless format so if you wanted to create an audio CD copy it should sound identical to a normal .wav sourced disc. Mac users, sorry, but aren't you used to being left in the dark anyway? :p

It's 493MB and will be up until 3/1 (or 25 downloads). I'm not going to test it myself just in case there are twentyfive people who want to snag it yikes, I hope it works now.

http://download.yousendit.com/9B13E19416E4377E

Enjoy! :)

kexodusc
02-23-2006, 05:25 AM
Thanks, Slosher...
If I get there in time, I'll check it out tonight.

Never heard of yousendit...can't see the record companies liking this. Sucks to be them :P

Jim Clark
02-23-2006, 05:51 AM
Grabbed it.
Burning it.
Gonna listen to it on the way to work.

Thanks.

BTW, there's a WMA plugin for Nero here: http://www.bitburners.com/Nero_Audio_Plugins/

Regards,
jc

noddin0ff
02-23-2006, 08:25 AM
Mac users, sorry, but aren't you used to being left in the dark anyway? :p

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Anyway, Mac users can download and listen using the free Windows Media Player. I can't figure out a way to convert and burn (for free anyway) to an audio CD however. Maybe someone else knows how to convert FROM .wma to something else on a mac. Nice way to share a comp! Would it kill you to use a universal format? FLAC?

Listening in progress...

ForeverAutumn
02-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Gee, it took about an hour to download, and I'm on high speed. What's up with that?

Files are being moved to my iPod as I type. Thanks Sloshy!

Slosh
02-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Gee, it took about an hour to download, and I'm on high speed. What's up with that?Big file. Ask a stupid question. . . :p

Files are being moved to my iPod as I type. Thanks Sloshy!Did you make a CD out of it first. AFAIK iTunes doesn't know what wma lossless is.
Would it kill you to use a universal format? FLAC?My Roku Soundbridges work great with WMP10. To get them to speak FLAC I need third party software like Slim Server or TVersity and I don't like the interface with either of those. I guess I could have used Apple lossless but not everyone wants Quicktime on their PC.

Jim, cool. I'll have to check out that plug in. Thanks.

ForeverAutumn
02-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Did you make a CD out of it first.

Not yet, but the original files are still on my hard drive. I'm leaving on vacation on Sunday. By tranferring it to my iPod I can take it with me and listen to it on the plane. :)

Your comp has also acted as a reminder that I should throw some Wilco on my iPod before we leave. Thanks.

GMichael
02-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Not yet, but the original files are still on my hard drive. I'm leaving on vacation on Sunday. By tranferring it to my iPod I can take it with me and listen to it on the plane. :)

Your comp has also acted as a reminder that I should throw some Wilco on my iPod before we leave. Thanks.

You're leaving us? Where are you going?

Jim Clark
02-23-2006, 02:40 PM
The wma plugin didn't work as well as the flac. The flac is seemless and the wma seemed to take forever to burn. I just finally had to leave, but it's ready now!

My download went very fast, about 15 minutes.

Tracklist would be *****in'

thanks again,
jc

BradH
02-23-2006, 02:59 PM
My Roku Soundbridges work great with WMP10. To get them to speak FLAC I need third party software like Slim Server or TVersity and I don't like the interface with either of those.

But how does that prevent you from posting FLAC files to Yousendit? I can play WMA files on the computer but to hear it on the big rig I'd have to download dbPoweramp or whatever it's called and convert WMA to WAV and....and.....WAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Slosh
02-23-2006, 03:16 PM
But how does that prevent you from posting FLAC files to Yousendit? I can play WMA files on the computer but to hear it on the big rig I'd have to download dbPoweramp or whatever it's called and convert WMA to WAV and....and.....WAAAAAAHHHHH!!!
Convert it to an audio CD with Windows Media Player and then listen to it on the big rig. Shouldn't take more than five minutes.

Whatta bunch of whiners. Sheesh! ;)

Slosh
02-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Tracklist would be *****in'
Doesn't the tracklist show up in Windows Media Player?

-Jar-
02-23-2006, 04:17 PM
wow heck with the mail, this is the way to go!

I'll have to try to make some of those lossless files.

BradH
02-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Convert it to an audio CD with Windows Media Player and then listen to it on the big rig.

Oh man, I'm hosed anyway. It won't let me throw the link into my download manager that I use because I'm on dial up. Local bastiches won't put in another DSL repeater down the alley for one guy (me) that's a couple hundred feet too far.

I think I'll protest by walking across the creek and lying down naked in front of my city councilman's house.

I'll let ya know how it turns out...

Swish
02-23-2006, 06:06 PM
It's twenty tracks at a CD-R friendly length of 79:49 and in wma lossless format so if you wanted to create an audio CD copy it should sound identical to a normal .wav sourced disc. Mac users, sorry, but aren't you used to being left in the dark anyway? :p

and have to do an overburn when you claim it's only 79:49? I got 80:12, so whatever. It worked flawlessly and was pretty quick with my high-speed cable access. This is so much cooler than mailing a comp, but you need to create a nice cover with all the tracks and e-mail it to us to complete the task at hand. ;)

Swish Baby

Slosh
02-23-2006, 06:24 PM
and have to do an overburn when you claim it's only 79:49? I got 80:12, so whatever. It worked flawlessly and was pretty quick with my high-speed cable access. This is so much cooler than mailing a comp, but you need to create a nice cover with all the tracks and e-mail it to us to complete the task at hand. ;)

Swish BabyDid you set up your preferences for no pause between tracks?

Jim Clark
02-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Doesn't the tracklist show up in Windows Media Player?

I dunno.

Why would I want to listen on Windows Media Player? I burned it to CD. I see the track names but no bands associated with it.

The service around here is really starting to blow. (emoticon missing!)

jc

-Jar-
02-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Thanks Slosh, nicely done!

Finch Platte
02-23-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm still on dialis-err, dial-up, but I told a bud and he nabbed it for me.

Does it suck? (insert JC's missing emoticon here)

fp

Audio Girl
02-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Hey, Slosheroo, I am a MAC user and very proud of it. You wanna fight about it or WHAT????
:-)

Your bud,
Mare

P.S. Feel free to ship a CDR to me! ;-)

Slosh
02-24-2006, 05:55 AM
Why would I want to listen on Windows Media Player?Well, If you had a wireless music player like my Roku M1000 and M500 you would want to use WMP. I get the track names, artists, and album title info on the Rokus' displays.
I burned it to CD. I see the track names but no bands associated with it.
In my bedroom I have what I believe may be the very first CD player with CD-Text support (a Sony circa 1997). It will also only display the song title. It does tell you the artist but only for the whole CD, not for individual tracks. My friend has a newer Yamaha CD player that gives you artist info for individual tracks.

Nero and CD Text Manager and HACP all give you the complete CD-Text info as well.

The service around here is really starting to blow.I didn't think I needed to include instructions for basic tasks like burning a CD! :D

Slosh
02-24-2006, 06:08 AM
Does it suck? (insert JC's missing emoticon here)
Only if you have terrible taste. (insert middle finger here ;) )

kexodusc
02-24-2006, 06:11 AM
Took me 32 minutes to download...yup, it was a big file.
Only scanned the first 3 seconds of all the songs to see if they worked...no problems.

SLOSH RULES!!!

This YSI thing has some serious possibilities...wonder how long until the record companies put an end to a really great idea.

Slosh
02-24-2006, 06:17 AM
This YSI thing has some serious possibilities...wonder how long until the record companies put an end to a really great idea.It can be any kind of file so I think it's not going to be shut down any time soon but I'm sure the record companies and movie studios are none too pleased with it.

I'm just glad it finally worked. I had to upload it three times before it took.

Swish
02-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Did you set up your preferences for no pause between tracks?

you didn't mention that in your instructions. I will try to forgive you for not being clear, but only if you send that custom cover I suggested in my response. :)

Swish Baby

NP: The latest, Lossless Slosh Comp. What else did you expect?

Jim Clark
02-24-2006, 01:17 PM
In my bedroom I have what I believe may be the very first CD player with CD-Text support (a Sony circa 1997). It will also only display the song title. It does tell you the artist but only for the whole CD, not for individual tracks. My friend has a newer Yamaha CD player that gives you artist info for individual tracks.

Nero and CD Text Manager and HACP all give you the complete CD-Text info as well.
I didn't think I needed to include instructions for basic tasks like burning a CD! :D

You'd think that hi-dollar CDP would give me a cool feature or two, but noooo.

OK, I'll do it the old fashioned way but I thought this was a high tech venture.

The disc is pretty cool though, and it does have some tracks that are new to me so that's even cooler.

jc

Slosh
03-10-2006, 05:00 AM
Anyway, Mac users can download and listen using the free Windows Media Player. I can't figure out a way to convert and burn (for free anyway) to an audio CD however. Maybe someone else knows how to convert FROM .wma to something else on a mac. Nice way to share a comp! Would it kill you to use a universal format? FLAC?
A little late to be bumping a thread with a file that can no longer be downloaded but . . .

Duh! The more recent versions of iTunes can convert wma lossless to Apple Lossless. If you haven't updated iTunes in a while do so. I suspect you can also convert them to AIFF or WAV if you set up iTunes to rip in those formats. And of course iTunes can turn an Apple Lossless playlist into an audio CD.

So the next time I do one of these . . .

noddin0ff
03-10-2006, 07:22 AM
A little late to be bumping a thread with a file that can no longer be downloaded but . . .

Duh! The more recent versions of iTunes can convert wma lossless to Apple Lossless. If you haven't updated iTunes in a while do so. I suspect you can also convert them to AIFF or WAV if you set up iTunes to rip in those formats. And of course iTunes can turn an Apple Lossless playlist into an audio CD.

So the next time I do one of these . . .

Hey Slosh, my recent update doesn't list wma as a format but I'll have to find a file to try. But, I'm pretty sure that the wma incompatability is really a fundamental Mac/PC split. Most file converters for the Mac will only support formats that Mac QuickTime supports. And this still does not include wma...on a Mac.

I suspect that iTunes on a PC supports wma because the codec is integrated into the operating system and windows media player. On a Mac, even though you can have Windows Media Player installed, you're system doesn't get to use the wma codec. (I wonder if iTunes for the PC is gonna start sporting that dorky 'Plays for Sure' logo?)

In my searching for file converters, every file converter out there that produced for both platforms, the Mac version had a disclaimer that it would not support wma and would only support formats that QT would support.

Thanks for keeping my hopes up!