Harmon Kardon avr 7300 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Harmon Kardon avr 7300

orgasmdonor
02-22-2006, 08:41 PM
I know I have bugged you all a lot I want to know if anybody here has ever got to play with or owns (owned) one of these beheamoths. I could have scrouged one off ebay from harmondirect for $920 but decided to crap down my leg instead. I didn't have the balls. I had to talk to you all first before I can make a solid decision, since it would be about 500 bucks more than I originallly thought of spending. Supposedly this receiver can upgrade your video signal to if you have just a component hook up and make it almost hd picture quality?

paul_pci
02-22-2006, 10:53 PM
I know I have bugged you all a lot I want to know if anybody here has ever got to play with or owns (owned) one of these beheamoths. I could have scrouged one off ebay from harmondirect for $920 but decided to crap down my leg instead. I didn't have the balls. I had to talk to you all first before I can make a solid decision, since it would be about 500 bucks more than I originallly thought of spending. Supposedly this receiver can upgrade your video signal to if you have just a component hook up and make it almost hd picture quality?

And I can make wine out of water. What exactly will you be using the receiver for, including speakers it will be powering and we'll be able to tell you if such a behemoth will be overkill and direct you to a less expensive, yet totally adequate piece of equipment whose manufacturer begins with the letter "Y" and ends with the letter "a."

gjpham
02-22-2006, 11:54 PM
ouch, avr7300 is a nice one. 110w x 7 channel is c.r.a.z.y cool. I'm sure you'll love it. I only have AVR435 with 65w x 7 and really enjoy it but if I could turn back the clock I would consider Marantz brand. Check them out here. http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/category/AVReceiver

EdwardGein
02-23-2006, 12:26 AM
You gotta learn to walk before you can run, Your trying to do too much at one time. From what I'm hearing unless you have an HD DVD player this upconverting stuff won't be that noticeable. With a good DVD player hooked up by decent component cables to a good HD TV, the picture should be more then good to leave you satisfied. I would just go back to your original purpose which was better sound quality for music & of course DVD's as well. With your $1,000 budget, you can get a good deal for a new pioneer receiver & DVD (universal player) the 840 watt Pioneer VSX-1015TX & the 700 watt Pioneer VSX-815-K) & the Pioneer DV-588AS Universal Player with a warranty and all, a Denon 31 DVD player new with warranty for around $225, a used 3801 Denon Receiver for around $400 in very good or better condition, etc. If you need Component cables you can get them new at almost 50% off for a name brand like Monster on Ebay. If your not happy with your purchases, if new you can return them (or if online by mail) & if used, just resell them on Ebay for a minor loss. From there you can always "upgrade" your system and sell things you want replaced. One caveat though, is the law of diminishing returns. If your stuff is good, there will no longer be a night and day difference with other receivers/DVD players in terms of quality, there will be some but more minute differences that you might not feel is worth the extra money. Featurewise yes there will be differences each year. It's a matter of personal taste whether you feel those differences are worth spending on.
Also, and I forgot to mention this before, pay some pro (you can usually get one for $100 at some high end place) to set up your system because in all likelyhood you will miss or not be aware of something that can throw everything off. I initially did & it was money well worth spending. Good luck.

accastil
02-23-2006, 03:40 AM
that receiver is very good (it better be at that price point) but if i were you, id be cutting budget on the receiver and putting those on really good speakers instead. Hk sound is very thick. overall tonality is balanced..you can go with a cheaper HK and divert the cash to speakers.

kexodusc
02-23-2006, 04:56 AM
Geez man, what kind of speakers are you running with this thing?
How about the Pioneer VSX-1015tx instead (I think I may have mentioned to you in another thread, sorry for repeating if I did). It's got a real 100+ watts/channel, sounds great, has a ton of features including auto setup and room EQ, even THX certified, and can be bought for only $399 from Jandr.com if you phone the sales department (they're always cheaper than the web for some reason).

This is not an "entry-level" receiver...even 2 years ago this thing would have been pushing $1000 or more. Great unit. Frees up a lot of money for you to upgrade other things.
Just a suggestion.

EdwardGein
02-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I go along with Keko on the 1015tX if you prefer to buy new as opposed to used. Orb Audio sells this receiver with their speakers, too.

Geez man, what kind of speakers are you running with this thing?
How about the Pioneer VSX-1015tx instead (I think I may have mentioned to you in another thread, sorry for repeating if I did). It's got a real 100+ watts/channel, sounds great, has a ton of features including auto setup and room EQ, even THX certified, and can be bought for only $399 from Jandr.com if you phone the sales department (they're always cheaper than the web for some reason).

This is not an "entry-level" receiver...even 2 years ago this thing would have been pushing $1000 or more. Great unit. Frees up a lot of money for you to upgrade other things.
Just a suggestion.

orgasmdonor
02-23-2006, 03:35 PM
To answer the speaker question...I am running Athena F2.2 fronts ...Athena c1.2 center....Athena asp6000 12'' sub and a couple of early 1990 AR m1's for raer . The m1's are 100w 8 ohm....The athena center is 150 watt 8 ohm..The fronts are 250 watts @ 8 ohm...Sub is 200watt continuous with B.A.S.H. up to 800 watts. My room /dungeon is 25x25 ft. The room also serves as my speed metal guitar playing launching pad...I own a lot of high end amps and equipment for band playing. Home theater is just something that I need help with understanding and all of you are great. I wish we could all sit down and pound some beers and talk for a day (while headbanging). I'm 36 years old and I can't stop headbanging...my wife thinks I'm nuts. Traveling forklift technician by day and headbanging "El Retardo" by night. No rap music...I have heard if you play rap on your stereo it will lower the overall value of the system....Is this true?

EdwardGein
02-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Lemmy out of here

L.J.
02-23-2006, 03:54 PM
I have heard if you play rap on your stereo it will lower the overall value of the system....Is this true?

No, I listen to rap all the time. I gotta pair of Cerwin Vega LS-12's just for that. There big, loud, foward speakers, perfect for bumping some Jay-Z :D

orgasmdonor
02-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Word up brudda !!!

paul_pci
02-23-2006, 04:10 PM
If you're budget conscious, then the 7300 might be overkill, even if you're trying to fill all 50 sq ft. of space. A receiver in the $500-700 should be plenty good, unless there's features you must have that only exist in higher priced models. For instance, people looking right now for hdmi switching are currently limited to a few, expensive models.

btw: I still headbang too.

paul_pci
02-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Lemmy out of here

Ah, you're just jealous because you can't headbang to Norweigen Wood.

GMichael
02-24-2006, 08:05 AM
Listening to Rap for long periods of time tends to mean that you are a fan of Rap. Other than that, your receiver might pick up a bad spitting habbit.

Florian
02-24-2006, 10:21 AM
Can you all believe that this (ME) little rich bastard once had a Receiver too`? Yeah! I did, and it was a AVR7000 along with a Marantz SR7200....WOW...suprised you all eh?
The Marantz was more "HIFI" like and the HK made more music. Overall, the HK had more balls and the Logic7 function which was nice and the Marantz had a nicer build and picture quality pass through.

Cheers

-Mr.Snob

GMichael
02-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Can you all believe that this (ME) little rich bastard once had a Receiver too`? Yeah! I did, and it was a AVR7000 along with a Marantz SR7200....WOW...suprised you all eh?
The Marantz was more "HIFI" like and the HK made more music. Overall, the HK had more balls and the Logic7 function which was nice and the Marantz had a nicer build and picture quality pass through.

Cheers

-Mr.Snob

YOU had a receiver?! NO WAY! You must be joking.

Oh wait, that's right. You told me this already. What was I thinking? I take back what I said above.

.gnikoj be tsum uoY !YAW ON !?reviecer a dah UOY

GMichael
02-24-2006, 01:21 PM
What? No cottonwood tree?

Florian
02-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Yeah looky here, and i had a 50$ CD-Player!.....Guess we rich bastards work too eh? :p

http://www.apogeeclub.de/old.jpg

evil__betty
02-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Now, I have seen this quite a bit, and I really don't understand. In fact it kinda bugs me... when you take a picture of your system with the intent to boast and brag - CLEAN THE ROOM UP PRIOR TO TAKING THE PICTURE! I have no problem with people who want to post pictures of thier gear - infact I really enjoy seeing what other people use and how their room and gear are set up. In fact, I will post pics of my gear once I move into my new house (2-3 months away) and have everything set up properly. But maybe, everyone can take an extra 20 mins to tidy before they snap the pic.