LCDs: Computer vs HDTV? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LCDs: Computer vs HDTV?

ericl
02-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Hey Gang,

Looking for a little advice/info here. What is the difference, if any between an LCD designed for computer use, and one for HDTV/movies? Is it just a question of features?

I'm looking to get ~26" LCD monitor to use as both as a display for movies and as a computer monitor. Probably more time on the computer but I want best performance with dvds. I'm leaning towards an LCD hdtv like an LG at this point, they have integrated QAM tuners, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

THanks!
Eric

kexodusc
02-22-2006, 10:53 AM
I haven't got a clue, but brands like Panasonic, Phillips, and Toshiba have recently announced they are discontinuing production of CRT TV's, so I suspect these things might be declining in price a bit more in the near future.

I'm guessing the connectors and video cable that connects to your computer would be different on a monitor, the LCD would have standard RCA cables and HDMI or something?

ericl
02-22-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm wondering about refresh rates and all that. I'd prefer an LCD TV, but am wondering if performance with a computer will suffer..

Geoffcin
02-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Hey Gang,

Looking for a little advice/info here. What is the difference, if any between an LCD designed for computer use, and one for HDTV/movies? Is it just a question of features?

I'm looking to get ~26" LCD monitor to use as both as a display for movies and as a computer monitor. Probably more time on the computer but I want best performance with dvds. I'm leaning towards an LCD hdtv like an LG at this point, they have integrated QAM tuners, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

THanks!
Eric
I just bought one of the Dell 24" LCD ultrasharp monitors! It shipped out yesterday, but I've already seen one in action, and I can vouch for it's capabilities. I'll let you know more on friday when it gets here.

Geoffcin
02-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Hey Gang,

THanks!
Eric

Then it should be a monitor first, TV second. Monitors are designed to work at much faster sync rates. Also, the connections are different. Most newer video cards have DVI, or dual DVI output. TV's mostly have HDMI. I'm not sure if there's a cheap converter for that. Last is the resolution. To sit a few inches away from a monitor the resolution has to be very high. The 24" that I bought is 1920 X 1200. The larger 30" is 2560x1600. Lower resolutions will begin to show pixilation when viewed close up, as you would be when using them as a computer monitor.

recoveryone
03-15-2006, 08:28 PM
I picked up a 32" WS HDTV LCD by Vizio, and I use it for both TV and monitor for my computer. It had all the connection, from HDMI,Analog HDTV(2) RGB, Composite(2) and S-video. What I found is that my graphics card (EVGA Nvidia 6800GT w/256mb ram AGP) has both DVI and RGB out. I got a HDMI - DVI patch cord to hook my system up, the only problem was that the card does not convert to WS mode and cut off the top and bottom parts of the desktop. The color was great, but I had to go with the RGB hookup to get the screen size I needed. RGB gives a really nice pic also.

HDMI really needs to be a direct format feed, WS - WS

The only other issue I had to deal with was the text size of web pages ...etc....I had to set the text size to large, big difference when your sitting/laying in bed 12 feet away. I play a lot of BF2 and the colors are awesome on this screen.

ericl
03-15-2006, 09:07 PM
cool thanks guys, i forgot about this thread. Geoff I think you probably identified the key issue, resolution/scan rates at close distances. maybe I should go for a computer monitor. I was hoping to get something with an integrated hd tuner, but i guess you can't have it all.

Geoffcin
03-16-2006, 10:35 AM
cool thanks guys, i forgot about this thread. Geoff I think you probably identified the key issue, resolution/scan rates at close distances. maybe I should go for a computer monitor. I was hoping to get something with an integrated hd tuner, but i guess you can't have it all.

Not so bad, but you can see that Sir TT is right; With HD capable equipment SD looks soft. Of couse my vid card outputs in 1080p, but regular DVD upconverted from 480p doen't look near as good as a 1080p signal. Can't wait for the HD-DVD drives to hit the stores. Looks like they will start at $299.

Unreal Tournament is rendered in 1080p on my LCD monitor, and it's totally sick!

Geoffcin
03-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Not so bad, but you can see that Sir TT is right; With HD capable equipment SD looks soft.

I was watching on a 24" monitor from about 24" away. I don't think you could tell the difference from 8 feet on the same size.

manhattanproj
03-23-2006, 07:11 PM
just a question: are there any LCD monitor or LCD tv that have rca inputs? i want to play video games with the monitor as well as use it with my computer.