Scratchy Volume Knob on Old Sansui Amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Scratchy Volume Knob on Old Sansui Amp

skyfyredragon
02-22-2006, 07:46 AM
I have a Sansui AU-717 Integrate Amplifier. When I turn the volume knob, one or both of two things happens. Either one of the channels shuts down or I get a crackly output. I have been told that there is something that you can spray on the knob device on the inside of the case. Is this true and, if it is, what is it called and where can i find it?

Skyfyre

Resident Loser
02-22-2006, 10:10 AM
I have a Sansui AU-717 Integrate Amplifier. When I turn the volume knob, one or both of two things happens. Either one of the channels shuts down or I get a crackly output. I have been told that there is something that you can spray on the knob device on the inside of the case. Is this true and, if it is, what is it called and where can i find it?

Skyfyre

...spray contact cleaners, available at electronics parts houses...Radio Shack probably has one...or you could search on-line...

Before you do that however, try this. With your equipment off, try sweeping the control from minimum to maximum, quickly several times...back and forth...sometimes this scrubbing action can self-clean the pot of the crud causing the problem. You may then want to concentrate your sweeping within your normal range of settings after this wider one and then go from min to max yet again.

If that doesn't have the desired effect, once you obtain the cleaner, follow the manufacturers instructions carefully. Obviously, you will want to disconnect the unit from it's power source before opening the cabinet.

jimHJJ(...hope that helps...)

www.records
02-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Deoxit is about the best for cleaning pots and controls. I would suggest while you are in there cleaning the pots on your volume control, do the rest of them too. Old Sansui's are notorious for having this problem. It is usually the selector switch that has caused me the same problem. Sometimes you have to do it more than once.

dborla01
03-25-2006, 11:29 AM
This is my first posting here. My two Onkyo A-8700 amps have push switches on upper front of panel. They gum up and refuse to work well. I have tried Deoxe before. I will try it again.
My question: Where do I get more of it or similar product? Any suggestions concerning clearing up this problem would be greatly appreciated!! :17: :ihih:

Glen B
03-25-2006, 07:13 PM
This is my first posting here. My two Onkyo A-8700 amps have push switches on upper front of panel. They gum up and refuse to work well. I have tried Deoxe before. I will try it again.
My question: Where do I get more of it or similar product? Any suggestions concerning clearing up this problem would be greatly appreciated!!

What need to do is try using some control cleaner:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103700&cp=2032058.2032229.2032259&allCount=11&fbn=Type%2FCleaner&f=PAD%2FProduct+Type%2FCleaner&fbc=1&parentPage=family

natlus
04-25-2006, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=Resident Loser]...spray contact cleaners, available at electronics parts houses...Radio Shack probably has one...or you could search on-line...

If that doesn't have the desired effect, once you obtain the cleaner, follow the manufacturers instructions carefully. Obviously, you will want to disconnect the unit from it's power source before opening the cabinet.

I own a couple of old Marantz quad receivers and found in this site and other resources one has to be careful with the Radio Shack (and other) commercial contact cleaners--they can negatively impact the plastics--I've read stories of the plastic deteriorating- as well as altering the tuning accuaracy of the receiver. These stories are anecdotal and I have never used these cleaners.

I've used the DeOxit power booster and (if I remember right) their Gold connector exclusively, as per others' suggestions here, and have had good success with them with no negative side affects.