Phase Linear and Acoustic Research [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Phase Linear and Acoustic Research

frankmarsi
02-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Any one out there using Phase Linear amps and pre-amp to power their Acoustic Research speakers. I'm referring to vintage equipment circa 1970 to 1978. I use these same brands and I'm very happy with the results. In fact I' ve been doing so since 1972. In my opinion there's nothing like it. Sure if I had 'mega-bucks' I might run out and buy $40 grand worth of hi-end stuff, but that is a dream that I can't hold to be real. So as a throw back to the past I wallow in a world of vintage bliss. All replies are welcome.
Respectfully, frankmarsi@verizon.net

Resident Loser
02-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Any one out there using Phase Linear amps and pre-amp to power their Acoustic Research speakers. I'm referring to vintage equipment circa 1970 to 1978. I use these same brands and I'm very happy with the results. In fact I' ve been doing so since 1972. In my opinion there's nothing like it. Sure if I had 'mega-bucks' I might run out and buy $40 grand worth of hi-end stuff, but that is a dream that I can't hold to be real. So as a throw back to the past I wallow in a world of vintage bliss. All replies are welcome.
Respectfully, frankmarsi@verizon.net

...most new stuff doesn't hold a candle to vintage gear...particularly from a feature/connectivity standpoint...and the performance AND construction is first-rate.

jimHJJ(...none of this plastic HT cr@pola...)

squeegy200
02-22-2006, 03:54 PM
...most new stuff doesn't hold a candle to vintage gear...particularly from a feature/connectivity standpoint...and the performance AND construction is first-rate.

jimHJJ(...none of this plastic HT cr@pola...)

I think I would agree. I disassembled my multi channel system and eventually sold most of its components on eBay. I've many times replaced my vintage equipment and end up putting it back in place.

Currently running a set of early 80s equipment. Nothing in the big retailers even comes close to the experience.

JoeE SP9
02-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Respectfully, frankmarsi@verizon.netAll you have to do is look at my equipment list to know that I'm in your camp. The MK-3's are from the early 70's, the Haffler stuff from the late 70's, the Accuphase is early 80's, the VPI and Acoustats are middle 80's and so is the Adcom. My tonearm is middle 90's and my cartridges are current. Those diamonds and their suspensions do wear out.:cool:

JohnMichael
02-24-2006, 08:12 AM
When I sold audio in the early 80's we used Phase Linear to power the AR 9's. The sound as memory serves was incredible. We used to love to show the Bose rep what true bass was all about. The AR 9's would flutter our pant legs during low bass passages and the Bose 901's well they did not. If all is working well just enjoy what you have.