What are the top 3 CD/albums in your collection? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What are the top 3 CD/albums in your collection?

tommc
11-17-2003, 06:58 PM
What are the top 3 CD/albums in your collection that you enjoy the most?

Snowbunny
11-17-2003, 09:59 PM
Let's see...

Right now? These are three I always enjoy:

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
The Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Les
11-18-2003, 03:02 AM

A couple of these are pretty constant for me -

1 Joni Mitchell - Blue

I rediscovered this a couple of years ago after buying the remaster. In the 70's this passed me by and my only regret about this album is that I missed out on hearing it for maybe 25 years. It really is a masterpiece of songwriting and performance and from a technical perspective the remaster, which is also HDCD, is a wonderful recording.

2 Beggar on A Beach of Gold - Mike & The Mechanics

Not a band that have sold well in the US or outside of Europe but I never get tired of hearing this. It is a combination of quality 'pop' music with excellent melodies and what could be decribed as melodious 'prog' I suppose. Lyrically there are some dark songs but I think this is a much underrated album. I love it.

3 In Absentia - Porcupine Tree

The third choice is a relatively new one. I only discovered PT in the last year or so when MasterCylinder copied me this album. I subsequently went out and bought the original -( it's an ownership thing ;) ), Coma Divine and Signify and I just hope that one day I can get a copy of Lightbulb Sun which seems to be out of print now.

In Absentia has everything IMHO. It is simply a great album with memorable songs, arrangements and moments of musical brilliance in Steve Wilson's guitar playing.

The first two choices will probably remain unchanged. I have many favourite albums amongst my collection but these are regularly played, week in week out. Maybe In Absentia will be moved to one side in the future but I haven't heard anything since it's release that has caught my imagination as much .....

tommc
11-18-2003, 05:52 AM
what type of music is this? I've only heard of two of those six artists...the flaming lips and jonie mitchell. I guess I'm more mainstream than I thought...

Jim Clark
11-18-2003, 07:00 AM
That's just too hard for me to answer. I'll cheat and give you my three favorite CD's of 2003 to date:

British Sea Power-The Decline Of British Sea Power
Postal Service-Give Up
Annie Lennox-Bare

The top two will stay-the third is negotiable depending on the day.

jc

nobody
11-18-2003, 08:02 AM
Yeah...three is just way too hard. Hell, I couldn't even cover the genres I like with three. Still, I'll just list three that have been in solid rotation for a long time for me, just for kicks. Of course, these would absolutely change hourly for me. Well, how about just a list of three kick-ass albums rather than three best...that works better for me.

I'm gonna have to list Massive Attack: Blue Lines. You gotta love those records that somehow manage to be visionary and groundbreaking while remaining a great listen and easily accesible at once. This one's mix of hip hop, electronica, R&B and reggae just always sounds right.

I guess I need something rockin', so I'll toss out The Minutemen: Three Way Tie For last. Why not Double Nickles on the Dime? Well, I've pushed that one enough around here, so it's time to move on. Besides, this one's just as good as far as I'm concerned, although different. Songs are longer and a bit more traditional, but the playing and songwriting is still great. Absolutely a must have from these fellas.

And, these days, I just can't get enough of Chet Baker Sings, and since I need to at least pick one selection outside the popular music realm, I'll grab this one. Of course, picking this over a couple of different Miles Davis discs borders on sacrilidge for me, but what the hell.

Ok...three great albums. Three best in my collection? Probably not. Three favorites? Who knows? At least they're all things I can listen to over and over and always seem to hit the spot, and they popped in my head when I starting writing this.

-Jar-
11-18-2003, 08:09 AM

big sweeping topic here.. but I'll throw out 3 just for kicks.

Husker Du - NEW DAY RISING. Ok, this is just about my favorite album ever. I still have the same vinyl copy I bought at some electronics store back in, oh, 1986 or something. They're on the SST label. I love just about everything on SST from 1978 (Black Flag, Minutemen, Meat Puppets) up through the mid 80s (Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, fIREHOSE).

Mercury Rev - YERSELF IS STEAM
Flaming Lips - TRANSMISSIONS FROM THE SATELLITE HEART
These two count as one.. These albums just seem to connect me with a great time in my life. (dirt poor and drunk.. hehe) Plus they're both just great albums that reflect the sound of the early 90's so well.

Slint - SPIDERLAND
Joy Division - CLOSER
Two brilliant, desperate albums that will stand forever as monuments of what can be done with voice and musical instruments that will leave us forever guessing what could have been..

one more..
Stone Roses - STONE ROSES
it's just.. perfect.

-jar-

MasterCylinder
11-18-2003, 11:51 AM
ROMANTIC WARRIOR -- Return to Forever (Japanese remaster; HDCD)
RELAYER -- Yes (Japanese remaster; HDCD)
SCENES FROM A MEMORY -- Dream Theater

WOW Les !!!!!! In Absentia is on your list; I totally expected some disc with Carrack on it, but not the PT -- I'm impressed.

Mr MidFi
11-18-2003, 11:54 AM
REM - Reckoning
U2 - Achtung Baby
Genesis - Trick of the Tail

These are the three that I have probably listened to and enjoyed the most times in my life. Probably.

What am I really enjoying lately?

Wilco - Being There
Built to Spill - Ancient Melodies of the Future
The Notwist - Neon Golden

Now, I would like everyone to drop what they're doing and go put on the Stones' "Sticky Fingers," just because it's the right thing to do. Thank you.

JDaniel
11-18-2003, 12:08 PM
Picking 3 is tough. Here goes:

1. ABB - The Road Goes On Forever

2. SRV - Texas Flood

3. Clash - London Calling

JD

Les
11-18-2003, 01:56 PM
WOW Les !!!!!! In Absentia is on your list; I totally expected some disc with Carrack on it, but not the PT -- I'm impressed.

But of course Carrack is on one of my choices - he sings lead on most of the Mike & The Mechanics album :D

Slosh
11-18-2003, 02:37 PM
1. Radiohead - OK Computer
2. The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I
3. Mastodon - Remission

I can live with that :)

Dusty Chalk
11-18-2003, 03:59 PM
3. Mastodon - RemissionReally?!? You know it recently got re-released with a DVD...any comments?

Over50revisited
11-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Tea For The Tillerman ( Cat Stevens )

Equinox ( Styx )

Highway To Hell ( ACDC )

3-LockBox
01-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Well, based on no particular criteria, I'd say (at this particular moment):

Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
Spiraling - Time Travel Made Easy
It Bites - The Tall Ships

kexodusc
01-18-2009, 06:58 AM
Hey 3LB...took you 8 years decide on Midlake, Spiraling, and It Bites???
:lol:

Rich-n-Texas
01-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Looks like someone woke up Rip van Winkle :sosp:
:sosp:

Swish
01-18-2009, 07:45 AM
:sosp:

...the names of so many who no longer visit RR. I used to have a blast busying the balls of Over 50, but he hasn't been around in years...J Daniel...Jar...Jim Clark...Master Cylinder (or does he have a new moniker?)...Les....Snowbuns, although she does pop in now and again.

ForeverAutumn
01-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Are you saying that MC is posting here still? I haven't heard from him since he recorded that song about cat barf (or something like that).

Rich-n-Texas
01-18-2009, 08:04 AM
...I don't share o2audio's sentiments. I suspect that due to the time of day 3LB posted, it was either because he was bored or he was a bit tipsy and got nostalgic. :wink5:

Swish
01-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Are you saying that MC is posting here still? I haven't heard from him since he recorded that song about cat barf (or something like that).

...years ago about some of our MIAs, and one I mentioned responded and said he changed his moniker. I can't for the life of me remember who that was at this point, but I didn't want to make that same mistake.

So let me throw this out...do you know of any current members, besides dbi, who changed names at some point?

02audionoob
01-18-2009, 09:38 AM
...I don't share o2audio's sentiments. I suspect that due to the time of day 3LB posted, it was either because he was bored or he was a bit tipsy and got nostalgic. :wink5:

In my comment on the reason for deleting my reply was specifically that...the reason for deleting my own reply...not that no one cares about the whole thread...just that no one cares if I post my three favorite CDs on a five-year-old thread.:cool:

3-LockBox
01-18-2009, 10:03 AM
...the names of so many who no longer visit RR... Over 50, but he hasn't been around in years...

He was posting as Over50 back in '01, so he should prolly change his moniker to Pushing60

JDaniel posts a lot over at Audio Karma, which btw, is slower than this site really. JC's been around the last few months. But it is fun to see how hap'nin this place once was.

And yes, Rich, it was a tipsy trip down memory lane.

And yes Noob, its ok to post on an old thread.

dbi
01-18-2009, 10:22 AM
So let me throw this out...do you know of any current members, besides dbi, who changed names at some point?

Hey, why's everybody always picking on me? I haven't seen Ms. Nomer around for a long time. She was a funny old bird!

And didn't you used to go by something like To Live And Die In NY and talk a lot about the Goo Goo Dolls? Or was that someone else?

Oh yea, top 3 albums. Hmm, let's see, Listening right now to a 1993 Holland-made CD reissue of the classic Mink DeVille "Le Chat Bleu", and it sounds great, as does the import vinyl from way back when I first got it, so maybe that would be one. Savoir Faire, yea. And when I want to get lost for a long time, maybe have to go with Brian Eno and Harold Budd, and some Daniel Lanois too, for "The Pearl". Beautiful record, and that's what it is in this case. Never heard the CD, but might just have to look for one. And though I've really kind of worn it out over the many years, and though it does tend to remind me sadly that there is only one way to go after you reach the the top, Talking Heads "Remain In Light", which gives me an extra Eno pick as well :)

dbi
01-18-2009, 10:52 AM
These are three I always enjoy:

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
The Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

You indie kids and your flavors of the week! Imagine how embarassed you'll be 5 years down the line when the expire date is long passed. Oh, wait....

bobsticks
01-18-2009, 01:58 PM
...So let me throw this out...do you know of any current members, besides dbi, who changed names at some point?

Yeah, I was YECH.

Hyfi
01-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I was YECH.

Good try but I don't think so.

Hyfi
01-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah this thread is old but so am I.

Three latest CDs in rotation would be

Marcus Miller Live and More
Buckethead Electric Tears
Adrian Belew Side Four Live

Hard to pick just those. I recently picked up some new, old , equipment and have been playing through my collection enjoying things all over again with better gear.

It is amazing what you get when you drop a Class A VAC tube pre amp that was $6500 new into the mix along with Synergistic Research cables.

Mr MidFi
01-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Hey 3LB...took you 8 years decide on Midlake, Spiraling, and It Bites???
:lol:

Math major, huh? (j/k)

I'm surprised to see my original response from 2003... not bad picks, actually. Good for me.

kexodusc
01-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Math major, huh? (j/k)

I'm surprised to see my original response from 2003... not bad picks, actually. Good for me.

Glad someone caught my attempt at humor...:lol:

I wonder how different my top 3 must have looked back then? I've been exposed to sooo much more music since.

Swish
01-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Hey, why's everybody always picking on me? I haven't seen Ms. Nomer around for a long time. She was a funny old bird!

And didn't you used to go by something like To Live And Die In NY and talk a lot about the Goo Goo Dolls? Or was that someone else?

Oh yea, top 3 albums. Hmm, let's see, Listening right now to a 1993 Holland-made CD reissue of the classic Mink DeVille "Le Chat Bleu", and it sounds great, as does the import vinyl from way back when I first got it, so maybe that would be one. Savoir Faire, yea. And when I want to get lost for a long time, maybe have to go with Brian Eno and Harold Budd, and some Daniel Lanois too, for "The Pearl". Beautiful record, and that's what it is in this case. Never heard the CD, but might just have to look for one. And though I've really kind of worn it out over the many years, and though it does tend to remind me sadly that there is only one way to go after you reach the the top, Talking Heads "Remain In Light", which gives me an extra Eno pick as well :)

I never used an different name on RR. Only in real life where I have numerous aliases to cover my tracks. And I detest the Goo Goo Dolls. Well, let's just say I don't care for them.

jonnyhambone
01-19-2009, 05:04 PM
funny, I saw the Goo Goo Dolls open for Gang Green at the Electric Banana Club in Pittsburgh...1987 I think. They were mohawked, spike-wearin' punkers then...least they looked and sounded like it. Now I guess I know they were poseurs.

dbi
01-19-2009, 07:05 PM
funny, I saw the Goo Goo Dolls open for Gang Green at the Electric Banana Club in Pittsburgh...1987 I think. They were mohawked, spike-wearin' punkers then...least they looked and sounded like it. Now I guess I know they were poseurs.

Yea, I heard they were much better in earlier days, I just never paid much attention. I was just razzin' ol Swish bout one of those members that has changed his name, long before your time, but here's an old thread of about the same starting vintage as this one we're in right now ... might be good for a chuckle ... http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF9B804.php

OzzieAudiophile
01-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi well you can't go past SACD unless you can guarantee an excellent recorded CD.

1.Dire Straits (20th Anniversary SACD) - Mark Knopfler himself remixed the entire album
in 5.1 Digital Surround sound. All the tracks playback suburb. If you're a Straits fan, you
are doing yourself a disservice by not trying this disc out.

2. Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds SACD - the playback again... outstanding. I waited
29 years for Jeff to come to my part of Australia and the performace is probably better
than anything else I'll ever see, Live, in my lifetime. This SACD can only be beaten by
the perfect Live performance. There are many tracks to choose from depending on your
mood, as it's 2 discs, but not very many songs.

3. Zero7 - Simply Things. Some vocal, this artist has done several albums to date.
This one, you have to listen to it and you either like this type of music, or not.
Definately can pass as a chill-out album.

I'm keeping this list as Americanised as possible, because most of my favourites
are from a Germal label which now no longer in syndicate. If anyone is seeking
the best is ambient, very out there, different music, contact me.

3-LockBox
01-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Well...ahem...I've used a few aliases on this board. I started out as TA, then settled on 3-LockBox, but did use variations on a theme. I've posted as 3LB, and when I was looking through the archives' link that Davy provided, I realized that I was posting under the moniker #LB for awhile too. Love those archives - the 4 and 5 page discussions we used to get into...about any and everything. I think we've now official lamented this site's demise for longer than its heyday existed. Pity.

bobsticks
01-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah this thread is old but so am I.

That's not all you are, eh?
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=679

....hehehehe

It is amazing what you get when you drop a Class A VAC tube pre amp that was $6500 new into the mix along with Synergistic Research cables.

VAC makes some of the nicest gear out there, period. That's gotta be presenting the old stuff in a fresh, new light. Nice work.

MasterCylinder
01-20-2009, 05:24 AM
Hello to all my old friends...............I know sometimes, it's kinda hard to tell but I'm still alive and well.

I have not had an e-mail telling me about any posts to old threads in forever........and suddenly this one pops up.

Hope everyone had a great holiday.

Hyfi
01-20-2009, 05:26 AM
That's not all you are, eh?
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=679

....hehehehe

VAC makes some of the nicest gear out there, period. That's gotta be presenting the old stuff in a fresh, new light. Nice work.

I cringed while clicking the link not knowing where it would take me. I was thinking it was where we all posted pictures years ago. That certification still stands and I'm proud of it!

Yes the VAC pre amp is quite an eye opener. I don't even have the correct tubes in place yet. The new ones should be here any day now. The Counterpoint NPS-400 that came with the package has a blown channel. I need to get hold of the schematic somewhere in order to get it fixed, I'm also enjoying the Clearfield Continental speakers by Von Schwiekert in the mix while trying to sell them. I have yet to drop the Danes back in the mix since I set it all up.

The Synergistic cables are also quite a difference maker, specially the Signature2 speaker cables.

Ex Lion Tamer
01-20-2009, 06:08 AM

You're telling me. I'm still kicking myself on a daily basis for selling my Avatar SE. I will not rest until I get it back (or better yet a Renaissance 30/30).

ForeverAutumn
01-20-2009, 06:28 AM
Hello to all my old friends...............I know sometimes, it's kinda hard to tell but I'm still alive and well.

I have not had an e-mail telling me about any posts to old threads in forever........and suddenly this one pops up.

Hope everyone had a great holiday.

Well, look at what the cat dragged in! Where've you been? How are you? I've missed you around here.

MasterCylinder
01-23-2009, 06:00 AM
Hello FA.................I have missed the old board............as in the very active board we had here years ago.

Went up to Chicago last year to catch the Dream Theater show.........still amazing.

Spinning INFLUENCE (Shaw / Blades) as we speak.

Hope you are well..............hey...........has it been a little cold up there this year ?

ForeverAutumn
01-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Hello FA.................I have missed the old board............as in the very active board we had here years ago.

Went up to Chicago last year to catch the Dream Theater show.........still amazing.

Spinning INFLUENCE (Shaw / Blades) as we speak.

Hope you are well..............hey...........has it been a little cold up there this year ?

Well, it's Canada you know so we expect it to be cold. We had record rain fall last summer and we've had record snow fall so far this winter. Today will be about 2C which is downright balmy for this time of year. But the temps are supposed to drop to -18 by this evening. So, yes, it's c-c-c-c-cold.

Was that DT show the Prog Nation tour, with Opeth and Three? I really wanted to see that tour but they didn't come here.

MasterCylinder
01-23-2009, 08:42 AM
That is crazy-cold. I'm playing golf this weekend with a projection of 45 degrees (F) and sunny.............missed only one weekend this winter !

The Chicago show was August, 2007...........Systematic Chaos..........awesome.
Had a couple of metal bands for openers that I ignored.........preferred the cash bar !

ForeverAutumn
01-23-2009, 12:00 PM
That is crazy-cold. I'm playing golf this weekend with a projection of 45 degrees (F) and sunny.............missed only one weekend this winter !

The Chicago show was August, 2007...........Systematic Chaos..........awesome.
Had a couple of metal bands for openers that I ignored.........preferred the cash bar !

Well that's just not fair! We're going to have to wait until we're on vacation in April before we can actually play a course. Although, 45F still sounds a bit cold to be golfing. That's only 10 degrees F more than it is here today. A lot of the hilly golf courses around here double as ski hills in the winter :frown5:

If those metal bands were Opeth and Three, you should have listened. Both are excellent.

Rich-n-Texas
01-23-2009, 12:23 PM
79 degrees yesterday, about 70 today. I'm just sayin'.

I get e-mails from Ticketmaster for upcoming events, including concerts, and I was just thinking the other day how cool it would be if DT did some dates here in the D/FW area.

A co-worker is looking into tickets for an upcoming Derek Trucks show at an old art-deco theater called the Granada, close to downtown. Derek is the son of Butch Trucks of The Allman Bros. Band, and when I watched Derek in a concert on HDNET, his guitar playing skills blew me away. Should be a good show in an intimate setting.

Luvin Da Blues
01-23-2009, 12:29 PM
...... I watched Derek in a concert on HDNET, his guitar playing skills blew me away. Should be a good show in an intimate setting.

I watched this show too but wasn't "blown away" like you where. It was a good show but nuttin' to write home 'bout. Sorry Rich.

Pat D
01-23-2009, 12:31 PM
However, here are three of my long-time favorites:

Mozart, Symphonies Nos. 35* and 41; Haydn, Symphony No. 104*; Leibowitz and Krips*; Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Chesky CD 016. My favorite Mozart symphonies in terrific performances and very well recorded, plus a very good Haydn 104.

http://www.chesky.com/core/details.cfm?productcode=CD016&productcategoryid=1

Brahms, Symphony No. 4*; Beethoven; Beethoven, Egmont Overture; Reiner* and Leibowitz; Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Chesky CD 006. Best performance of Brahms 4th I have ever heard, in excellent sound.

http://www.chesky.com/core/details.cfm?productcode=CD006&productcategoryid=1

Mozart, Requiem (Suessmayr); Colin Davis; BBC Symphony Orchestra; John Alldis Choir; soloists. Philips 423 353-2. Very committed and lively performances, well-recorded. We will be performing this Good Friday this year, so I will be listening to this quite a lot to review the notes--I haven't performed in this work for a dozen years. One can actually follow the basses in the chorus, which is nice, too. I also have this on LP.

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Requiem/dp/B000006M8P/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232741582&sr=1-14

This recording is still available as part of a Philips Duo set.

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Great-Choral-Works/dp/B000004180/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232741489&sr=1-4

MasterCylinder
01-23-2009, 12:50 PM
FA:
It was not Opeth -- I would have watched them.

Pat:
Mozart's Requiem is so outstanding...........as well as foretelling.

MasterCylinder
01-23-2009, 12:56 PM
FA:
Golf @ sunny and 45 (with no wind) is not too bad. If it gets any colder, we have cart covers and butane heaters that sit in the cup-holders............keep a couple of golf balls near the heaters and keep rotating..........plus we're crazy so that helps too.

Rich:
I used to live in DFW...........and while I did enjoy the golf and the weather there, it doesn't even come close to the golfing paradise we enjoy at Hot Springs Village, Arkansas.
Sorry but it's true.

Rich-n-Texas
01-23-2009, 01:19 PM
I've been to Hot Springs AK, but as a tourist. Golfing is not one of my pastimes, so D/FW's shortcomings from a golfing standpoint is irrelevant to me. The city excels in many other areas, especially in it's nightlife.

LDB, a lot of the music I listened to in the 70's included a steady diet of Allman Bros. I think Derek's guitar work was right on, and the songs, even Greg's vocals struck a nostalgic note on my heartstrings. It's good to see the old fav's back on the road doing their thing again.

Luvin Da Blues
01-23-2009, 05:35 PM
....LDB, a lot of the music I listened to in the 70's included a steady diet of Allman Bros. I think Derek's guitar work was right on, and the songs, even Greg's vocals struck a nostalgic note on my heartstrings. It's good to see the old fav's back on the road doing their thing again.

I'm wicha Rich. a couple of my all time fav songs are "Can You Fool" and "God Rest His Soul" from da Bros.

nobody
01-23-2009, 06:09 PM
I just blasted The Buzzcocks: Singles Going Steady while I drink a beer and get ready to head out for the evening and it may have just blasted its way into the top three.

Worf101
01-26-2009, 06:31 AM
Since I'm limited to only 3:

"Free Will" - Gill Scott Heron

"What's Goin' On?" - Marvin Gaye

"Gonna Take a Mriacle" - Laura Nyro

These three I take to my grave.

Da Worfster

Hyfi
01-26-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm wicha Rich. a couple of my all time fav songs are "Can You Fool" and "God Rest His Soul" from da Bros.

Although it is on the Dreams Box Set, Can You Fool is not really Allman Brothers but off of an album called Allman and Woman from when Cher was married to Greg.

All in all, ABB and any spinoffs are all great. Being the youngest of 5, I have been listening and enjoying ABB for close to 40 years.

Luvin Da Blues
01-26-2009, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE=Hyfi]Although it is on the Dreams Box Set, Can You Fool is not really Allman Brothers but off of an album called Allman and Woman from when Cher was married to Greg. [QUOTE]

Ya, I knew that but close enuff for R&R. Great song none da less. :3: