Bananna Plugs???? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bananna Plugs????

speakeroligist_38
02-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Hello people I have a q: I purchased some Phoenix Gold bannana plugs that I am using on my receiver. However, there are no directions and I have never used them before. So, do I unscrew the bolt out completely and put wire inside then screw bolt back in tightly putting the speaker wire on the INSIDE of the plug or do I leave the wire on the outside of the plug and use the hole/bolt connection??? It sure looks kinda bad leaving the wire on the outside of the plug. I know this is a silly question but have not really used these before. Please feel free to elaborate or offer some pictures/diagrams.

bipper
02-22-2006, 07:10 AM
I am surprised the distributor of banana plugs could not provide a solution to your problem but in short.

Banana plugs are used to minimize oxidation of the copper at the end of the speaker cable so you get "clean" sound. So putting the wire "on the outside" or exposing the wire does not accomplish that. Also, banana plugs makes it easier to connect/reconnect speaker cables to other speakers.

In short you have to connect the wire to the inside part of the banana plug. And it would be useful to solder the wire into the banana plug and then wrap the banana plug with electrical tape or better yet a shrink tubing (sleeve) so the copper wire (speaker cable) is not exposed to any air.

good listening..