Klipsch vs Energy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Klipsch vs Energy

hbonilla
02-21-2006, 07:48 PM
I am thinking of buying a new pair of speakers for my Adcom GTP-600 (preamp) and Carver TFM-55 (amp). I have narrowed my choices down to Energy V1.8 speakers and Klipsch rf-7.

Any thoughts?

topspeed
02-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Two very different sounding speakers, although both are tipped hot in the treble. Klipsch horns are a love 'em or hate 'em situation with many. They have dynamics to burn but some find them to be fatiguing over longer listening sessions. They are likely more efficient than the Veritas, thereby allowing you to play them louder and with more headroom, if that's important to you. They make great HT speakers because of their dynamic envelope.

Energy's Veritas line isn't quite as aggressive on top, but should still be considered hotter than neutral IMO. They are beautifully built and are certainly better than most mass market crap. I felt the Veritas line lacked a bit of cohesiveness between the drivers, but not so much that you would notice it without A/B'ing against a better speaker. Between the two, this is the one I'd prefer for music.

Honestly, neither are my cup 'o tea, but if either make your toes tap that's all that matters. Good luck in your decision and I hope this helps.

Cal Blacksmith
03-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Well, this is my first post here but I am not new to the world of Audio. My personal favorite speakers are Heritage Klipsch, though they are very unforgiving of bad source material and lesser audio components. It has been my experience that Klipsch favor tube amplification over SS. This is truer of the pre-amp than the amp but having tubes in both is the best for me.

You might be able to get a good deal on RF7s now as they have been discontinued and there are some good bargains to be had. They are still fine speakers even though they have been replaced.

canuckle
03-15-2006, 12:57 AM
To my ears, the Veritas are a very even speaker with an incredible sound at all ends of the dynamic range. The Klipsch's are almost metallic at the top and although they leave an initial impression of "sparkling" sound, you're soon after fatigued and annoyed by them.

Many consider the 1.8's some of the best speakers ever made. I wouldn't agree, but I wouldn't argue. I can't imagine anybody making any such claim about the Klipsch speakers. And looks-wise, well... have you ever really stared at the Klipsch design? Truely not a pretty thing. In 10 years time, the Energys will still look alright.

RGA
03-15-2006, 11:30 AM
The Veritas didn't impress me that much -- the C-Series is a great bargain for the money.

The Klipsch tend to be a hit and miss company -- horns should not all be lumped together as they often are. Most people's main experience with horns is hearing Klipsch. SOme Klipsch speakers did not match sensitivity (integrate) drivers so in effect the treble band jumps out in front louder and that can cause some perceived brightness -- but on the other hand for rock, dance, pop, trance etc the music has more of a live in your face sensation similar to that which you would experience in a night club.

To me there is nothing wrong with a speaker company that gears itself to this music and since this is the number one most purchased music then it helps if the speakers can do it some justice. The trade may very well be in the graphs and the "me too" audioohilia rubbish of endless upgrades - but Klipsch's better speakers are FUN. Fun may be a dirty word in this hobby but give me that over long spiral threads in chat rooms about how the speaker imagges 1.894566% better than the other speaker. The other bonus is that you can buy a nice tube amp for pretty much any Klipsch and get quite a good result. The Reference series is failry inexpensive. Also listen to the lower Reference series speakers -- I remember I liked one of them better than their most expensive one (which is common)-- you may as well and might save some bucks to boot.

Jack Dotson
03-18-2006, 01:30 PM
I'll chime in here as I currently own a pair of Veritas 2.3i's and I've also owned a number of Klipsch speakers over the years.

IMO the Veritas are much better than the Klipsch your looking at and are the speaker to beat in their price range. Someone siad they had a hot top end, I couldn't disagree more. Klipsch are very efficient, dynamic and detiled. Imaging and soundstage sucks, bass in not very good either. Their Heritage line are the only ones I can even stand to listen to. Even they have many faults. Having said this, if HT is your top priority they may be hard to beat in this regard.

The Veritas is a very balanced speaker with superb soundstange, better than normal dynamics, detailed and smooth. I've been through allot of speakers through the years, most recently PSB Sratus Gold i and Maggie 1.6's which I sold when I bought the Veritas, and none that I own come close to the Veritas. If they have any flaw at all it might be they are just a tad recessed in the upper bass region and lower mid-range. But I think this what give them character. Some people look for a total accurate speaker so this might not be their cup ot tea. I like speakers that sound good with all types of music, period!

One reviewer at at the Absolute Sound chose them to be his reference speaker after he broght them in for a listen, and he's reviewed many speakers costing much more.

One thing though, they do take some good power to bring out what they have to offer.

IMO not even close, Veritas all the way.

jt1stcav
03-18-2006, 04:07 PM
I have never heard the Veritas so I can't comment on their sonics, but I'm quite sure they are outstanding loudspeakers due to their excellent reputation.

I have heard many Klipsch (mostly Heritage Series, and a few from their Legend and Synergy Series) and own a pair of classic '79 Klipsch Cornwalls myself. I will not boast on their "in-your-face" horn presence since many do not like that type of aggressive behavior in a loudspeaker (I do, personally). They do lack a bit in the bass department (I own two subs, so it doesn't concern me), but they more than make up for it in dynamics and overall detail (especially with my tube gear)! No, Klipsch horn speakers are not for everyone, which is why you should try to audition a pair before you make your purchase (if you can), or at least find out about your dealer's return policy if you find you can't live with them.

Good luck with whatever decision you make, and may the best loudspeaker win. Remember, it's your own pair of ears that will be the final judge, and not by what any of us tell you to consider.

Jack Dotson
03-18-2006, 04:24 PM
I have never heard the Veritas so I can't comment on their sonics, but I'm quite sure they are outstanding loudspeakers due to their excellent reputation.

I have heard many Klipsch (mostly Heritage Series, and a few from their Legend and Synergy Series) and own a pair of classic '79 Klipsch Cornwalls myself. I will not boast on their "in-your-face" horn presence since many do not like that type of aggressive behavior in a loudspeaker (I do, personally). They do lack a bit in the bass department (I own two subs, so it doesn't concern me), but they more than make up for it in dynamics and overall detail (especially with my tube gear)! No, Klipsch horn speakers are not for everyone, which is why you should try to audition a pair before you make your purchase (if you can), or at least find out about your dealer's return policy if you find you can't live with them.

Good luck with whatever decision you make, and may the best loudspeaker win. Remember, it's your own pair of ears that will be the final judge, and not by what any of us tell you to consider.

If he were talking about the corner horns I wouldn't be so quick to Vertias as the easy winner. :)

jt1stcav
03-18-2006, 04:33 PM
Jack, those ol' Klipschorns are hard to beat, regardless of speaker type. But a listener's room will play a major part on how any loudspeaker will sound in their room. My big ol' Cornwalls sound fantastic in our large family/HT room, but shrilly and harsh in my tiny music room (hence, my Triangle Zephyrs, which are a whole lot smoother).

But I bet those Vertias are winners nonetheless!

westcott
03-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Jack, those ol' Klipschorns are hard to beat, regardless of speaker type. But a listener's room will play a major part on how any loudspeaker will sound in their room. My big ol' Cornwalls sound fantastic in our large family/HT room, but shrilly and harsh in my tiny music room (hence, my Triangle Zephyrs, which are a whole lot smoother).

But I bet those Vertias are winners nonetheless!

I agree with jt1, the reference series really are speakers for large rooms with vaulted ceilings and plenty of space to perform their best.

I think the 1.8's sound very good and would be better suited for a small to medium size room. As suggested, their 4 and 6 Ohm requirments make them more power hungry so no skimping on the receiver.

As also pointed out, they have a very different sound and it really depends on what you like or are used to.

Whatever you decide, make sure you do some homework on proper speaker placement. This can be far more important than the hardware.

Good Luck and post pictures when you have it all set up!

"His and Her Room"