CSW Upgrade Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CSW Upgrade Question

Mayonnaise
02-21-2006, 10:01 AM
While I enjoy high quality sound, I am no expert. I’ve bought Cambridge Soundworks for years and enjoy their products and want to stay with them. I am looking to upgrade my speaker system.

I plan on replacing my Bass Cube 10 with the P200 Subwoofer.

I have M80’s for my left and right and am thinking about replacing them with MC500’s or Newton T200 tower speakers.

Just before I hung up the phone the guy at CSW said drop the subwoofer and buy the T300’s which already have an integrated subwoofer.

I know buying advice questions from the “new guy” can be tiresome, but I ask you, the experts, with humility and reverence.

Are the MC500’s a worthwhile step up from the M80’s or am I better making the full leap to the T200’s?

What’s the thinking on a tower speaker with an integrated subwoofer? Would you rather they were two separate components?

Do you guys care that CSW stuff is built in China?

An ex left-of-the-dial dj (KGNU, Boulder,CO) I listen to a lot of music, which I generally play loud. I don’t go to the movies, preferring to stay home in my more comfortable theater with my wife, son, 2 Irish Terriers, and Caymus. I love being blown away and continually surprised by the power of a great sound system. Like the smell of my own gas, I secretly love it when the neighbors complain about it being too loud. I love the Tour de France.

I thank you in advance.

Song of the Day: Swamp Thing, Chameleons UK

Geoffcin
02-21-2006, 11:13 AM
While I enjoy high quality sound, I am no expert. I’ve bought Cambridge Soundworks for years and enjoy their products and want to stay with them. I am looking to upgrade my speaker system.

I plan on replacing my Bass Cube 10 with the P200 Subwoofer.

I have M80’s for my left and right and am thinking about replacing them with MC500’s or Newton T200 tower speakers.

Just before I hung up the phone the guy at CSW said drop the subwoofer and buy the T300’s which already have an integrated subwoofer.

I know buying advice questions from the “new guy” can be tiresome, but I ask you, the experts, with humility and reverence.

Are the MC500’s a worthwhile step up from the M80’s or am I better making the full leap to the T200’s?

What’s the thinking on a tower speaker with an integrated subwoofer? Would you rather they were two separate components?

Do you guys care that CSW stuff is built in China?

An ex left-of-the-dial dj (KGNU, Boulder,CO) I listen to a lot of music, which I generally play loud. I don’t go to the movies, preferring to stay home in my more comfortable theater with my wife, son, 2 Irish Terriers, and Caymus. I love being blown away and continually surprised by the power of a great sound system. Like the smell of my own gas, I secretly love it when the neighbors complain about it being too loud. I love the Tour de France.

I thank you in advance.

Song of the Day: Swamp Thing, Chameleons UK

I also have the big T500's. The MC500 is an outstanding speaker, and with play louder with less distortion (when played loud) than the M80. However, it will not play bass as low as the M80. The bass responce of the T500's I have is outstanding. They are able to play at high volume (or any volume) without compressing the bass, as most smaller speakers will.

I do not have the T300's, but I expect that they will have great bass for a main speaker, better by far than the M80. If you got these and kept your 10" sub in the mix, there should be plent of bass for all but the most extreme HT explosions.