Quality in-ear earphones? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Quality in-ear earphones?

N. Abstentia
02-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Is anybody using some good quality in-earphones? With my recent foray into the world of digital music players I really feel the need for some better small earphones. I have the Sandisk Sansa player and I actually kind of like the earbuds that came with it considering their size but I know it can get better, plus those earbuds kinda hurt and they don't stay in the ear very well. The Sansa sounds phenomenal with my Sennheiser HD580's so I know it can deliver.

Any thoughts on either of these?

Sennheiser CX-300
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4077877

Shure E2
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3715404

I'm thinking they have the Shure's at Guitar Center...where I can get some store credit for some used gear..so I'm leaning towards those, but they might also have those Senn's too.

MJBolduc
02-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Check out Ultimate Ears!
http://www.ultimateears.com
the Super.fi line is superb. I own the 3's and the 5 Pro's are on their way. Have written a review of the 3's and am trying to get it posted here. My favorite feature is the replaceable cords. Sound quality is great, a bit bright at first but softens up nicely after a few hours.

ericl
02-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Hi NA, i'm real busy with the site redesign we're doing but here's a quick post:

I have Shure E2c and the Etymotic er6i. They're both nice, but different. The Ety's are very neutral and balanced, but the bass isn't emphasized at all, which i think causes some people to say that they are lacking bass. That's not true, it's just not going to overwhelm you or kick your butt. I'd say these are good for more mellow/acoustic types of music.

The Shure's rock a little harder, but aren't quite as balanced or neutral. They're both great though. The trick for both is getting a proper seal. Also be careful not to crank them too loud. They're great at the gym and on the train (which i sometimes take to work) for blocking out sound. Same goes for the wife. :D

Armando
03-15-2006, 10:55 AM
your in luck buddy.visit www.headphone.com and take a look at what they call their b-list. they have plenty of iem's at hugely slashed rates and the cans are brand new. visit the site. you wont regret it. and go for the ultimate ears 10 pro if you have the dough. its possibly the worlds best dynamic headphone and 900usd aint much considering thats all the audio you'll ever need.
rock on.
:5:

N. Abstentia
03-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Well I went with the Sennheiser CX-300 in ear's. I love these little guys. At $59, they sound a little too close to my 580's! Some $300 Ultimate Ears might sound a little better but for $100 and under I don't think you can beat these Senn's.

Asr
03-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Actually you CAN beat the Sennheiser CX300.

Creative Labs' EP-630, $30. :D Excellent sound quality for the price, the best new bargain in IEMs!

N. Abstentia
03-17-2006, 09:50 AM
I didn't see those Creatives, from the picture they look just like the Sennheisers. Might have to pick up a pair just to check them out!

manhattanproj
03-23-2006, 07:23 PM
a lot of ppl said the creative and the senn are very similar, if not the same. ppl said there isn't much of a sound difference btn the two.

hifitommy
04-02-2006, 01:33 AM
the Etymotic er6i phones are superior. great isolation too. can be had for a good price online.

emorphien
04-02-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm not familiar with those Sennheisers, or the Creatives. I've had the Shure E2cs for about a year now and once you've got the fit right they're real damn good for $60. There are better, but I like them at this price point since I carry them around and they may get handled roughly. I wouldn't want to carry a $300 set for that reason.

jimmymagick
04-07-2006, 01:27 PM
the Etymotic er6i phones are superior. great isolation too. can be had for a good price online.

If you're interested, the Etymotic's are $89 with free shipping at buy.com. (I have a flight to Hawaii coming up so I planned on purchasing a pair.)

frenchmon
04-14-2006, 04:59 AM
Actually you CAN beat the Sennheiser CX300.

Creative Labs' EP-630, $30. :D Excellent sound quality for the price, the best new bargain in IEMs!

Ordered the EP-630's yesterday...hope they are as good as you say! Should have them next week.

frenchmon