Finally saw "Brokeback Mountain" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Finally saw "Brokeback Mountain"

Worf101
02-21-2006, 08:01 AM
And I have to say I was slightly dissappointing. Good performances here but nothing groundbreaking or earth shattering. Beautifully filmed, and well acted but it's a good movie NOT a great movie. My friend Sugi, who owns the local "Art" theatre here in Albany was waxing profusely about how this was the first true "crossover" gay film. Kinda like "Dances With Wolves" for gay guys. She said, little old straight women and straight men were coming to see the movie in droves. That might be true but I don't see it. I thought it was slow in points and ridiculous in others... But all in all worth seeing I suppose.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
02-21-2006, 08:36 AM
Yeah, the historic/cultural significance this mainstream movie has seems to be driving this movie's success. My wife took me to see it, I thought it was going to be a modern Western or something, not a romance, and certainly not a gay film. Kind of funny in hindsight. From now on I'm doing my homework.
I was a bit surprised by it, but all in all, I didn't think this movie was all that great. Mediocre. Maybe a bit above mediocre. It wasn't terrible, just not my cup o' tea I guess. Decent rental.

I'm a little surprised that it's being called the best movie of the year though. IMHO it's nowhere near as powerful or compelling as Traffic.

paul_pci
02-21-2006, 09:22 AM
Both you guys point to something important about the cultural response to this film: the most prominent rhetoric has been more about its presence than about its artistry. I enjoyed the film and thought it a bit sad, but as you indicated, nothing great or groundbreaking.

shokhead
02-21-2006, 10:21 AM
I need much more action in a cowboy movie.

topspeed
02-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Gene Shallit got skewered for writing the same thing about this movie. He pointed out, quite correctly apparently, that this movie is being driven more by what it stands for (the first openly gay movie) than what it is. He found it boring, slow, well acted, but neither very good nor very entertaining. For this, he had to make a public apology after getting razed by every gay/lesbian group north of the South Pole. WTF? He didn't criticize homosexuals, he criticized the movie... which is, oddly enough, his job! This movie has become more about politics and lifestyle choices than mere celophane.

For my part, I wanted to see this movie when it first came out because I love westerns. However, the consequences for living under a rock was that my friends had great fun asking me "You know what that movie's about...RIGHT?!?" The only thing they regretted was not letting me see it while believing it was another Unforgiven. I'm sure my reaction would have been much like Worfster's synopsis in his latest poll.

JSE
02-21-2006, 04:38 PM
I need much more action in a cowboy movie.

I heard it had a lot of "Action". Eeeeeeewwwww! :D

JSE

kexodusc
02-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Oops, I said "Traffic"...I meant "Crash"...

paul_pci
02-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Oops, I said "Traffic"...I meant "Crash"...

That's okay, I generally find crashes to be more compelling than traffic also.

shokhead
02-22-2006, 06:29 AM
I heard it had a lot of "Action". Eeeeeeewwwww! :D

JSE

Boy you really backed door that into a joke. LOL :D

Worf101
02-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Gene Shallit got skewered for writing the same thing about this movie. He pointed out, quite correctly apparently, that this movie is being driven more by what it stands for (the first openly gay movie) than what it is. He found it boring, slow, well acted, but neither very good nor very entertaining. For this, he had to make a public apology after getting razed by every gay/lesbian group north of the South Pole. WTF? He didn't criticize homosexuals, he criticized the movie... which is, oddly enough, his job! This movie has become more about politics and lifestyle choices than mere celophane.

For my part, I wanted to see this movie when it first came out because I love westerns. However, the consequences for living under a rock was that my friends had great fun asking me "You know what that movie's about...RIGHT?!?" The only thing they regretted was not letting me see it while believing it was another Unforgiven. I'm sure my reaction would have been much like Worfster's synopsis in his latest poll.

Dang man what rock were you living under??!!! No I agree with Mr. Shalit 100%. Not the worst movie I've ever seen but "Crash:" was/is superior to me in every way. It's a great "romance" movie believe it or not. It made the ole ladey weepy and horny (don't know what to think about that). A lot of women are seeing it, maybe it's "Titanic in chaps" I don't know.

Da Worfster

topspeed
02-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Crash has my vote for the best movie of 2005. For some reason, whenever someone brings up Brokeback, I start hearing the Culture Club's "The Crying Game" go through my head. There's another movie with a bit of a suprise, eh?