The Black Angels - I'm starting the hype right now [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Black Angels - I'm starting the hype right now

Jim Clark
02-21-2006, 07:42 AM
Straight from the Austin music scene, this band of 7 has been hogging most of my CD time the past couple of days. Dark Psychedelic droning that is simply irresistable so far. They released a four song EP last year on Light In The Attic records and have a full length slated for April 11 on the same label.

KEXP has been doing it's share to turn people on to this band and I have them to thank for my introduction. The did an in studio set with 7 music tracks that I grabbed on Dime A Dozen and it's amazing. RIYL Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Secret Machines but it's different in some unique ways. The drumming is tribal but this time it's closer to home, Native American Indian influences. When combined with the fuzzy guitars churning out bluesy riffs you're left with something not entirely new, but different enough to be able to enjoy completely.

http://www.theblackangels.com/ for some mp3's and samples of other tracks. The link to the live track on KVRX is worth checking out too.

Regards,
jc

Stone
02-21-2006, 08:11 AM
Straight from the Austin music scene, this band of 7 has been hogging most of my CD time the past couple of days. Dark Psychedelic droning that is simply irresistable so far. They released a four song EP last year on Light In The Attic records and have a full length slated for April 11 on the same label.

KEXP has been doing it's share to turn people on to this band and I have them to thank for my introduction. The did an in studio set with 7 music tracks that I grabbed on Dime A Dozen and it's amazing. RIYL Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Secret Machines but it's different in some unique ways. The drumming is tribal but this time it's closer to home, Native American Indian influences. When combined with the fuzzy guitars churning out bluesy riffs you're left with something not entirely new, but different enough to be able to enjoy completely.

http://www.theblackangels.com/ for some mp3's and samples of other tracks. The link to the live track on KVRX is worth checking out too.

Regards,
jc

So you're the pre-online-album-review-site-hype-hypemachine, eh?

I haven't listened to the MP3s, but by your description it sounds like something I should check out, so I will when I have time. Thanks for the heads up.

Bernd
02-21-2006, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the pointer. Sounds like something I will check out.

Jim Clark
02-21-2006, 08:48 AM
So you're the pre-online-album-review-site-hype-hypemachine, eh?

I haven't listened to the MP3s, but by your description it sounds like something I should check out, so I will when I have time. Thanks for the heads up.

A nice little change from the one post street teamer? Do street teamers get paid?

jc

Dusty Chalk
02-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Medigs, based on the samples. Will track down EP; anticipate full length.

Jim Clark
02-21-2006, 01:11 PM
http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1GYWPELMXZLCZ2WBGB9KYHIR17

Here's a YSI for the entire KEXP gig if anyone is interested. SQ is pretty darn good and you can basically save the cost of the EP and make up for it when the album is released. It's encoded in Flac so if you have to ask what that is you probably would be better off skipping this d/l.

Regards,
jc

Swish
02-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey, I'll have to check them out based on your description. I guess their website is the place to go for now, but you're telling me a four song EP is hogging most of your cd time? They must be four really good toons dood.

Swish

audiobill
02-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Count me in, Jim.

Will download samples, now.

Thanks for the buzz,

Bill

Jim Clark
02-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Three of the four songs from the EP are going to be on the LP so there's not much sense in grabbing the EP at this point. If you snag the YSI of the studio set you'll get an excellent overview of what the band is about. Plus it's free and another plus is you get 7 tracks instead of the 4. What a deal!!!

jc

Slosh
02-22-2006, 12:54 AM
Jim,

How do you ysi a zipped folder larger than 100MB? Not for free it looks like.

I wanted to put a 493MB lossless comp up but can't with the free account and that's too large for my e-mail accounts' outboxes as well.

Ex Lion Tamer
02-22-2006, 05:11 AM
Yeah baby! listening to track at website, (for the second time) and downloading 7-tracks as I type. Believe the hype!

Thanks Jim.

Jim Clark
02-22-2006, 05:23 AM
Jim,

How do you ysi a zipped folder larger than 100MB? Not for free it looks like.

I wanted to put a 493MB lossless comp up but can't with the free account and that's too large for my e-mail accounts' outboxes as well.

I didn't realize until you pointed it out that the file was larger than 100 MB. Maybe the software was asleep at the wheel while I was doing it. Dusty is the YSI guru so maybe he can chime in. This is really the first time that things seem to have gone off without a hitch for me.

In the past when I wanted to get something to someone I ended up setting up each track separately. One thing I did learn is that a zipped file (at least using the Microsoft tool) is the same size as a flac file. The only reason I used the flac files this time is that it was the original file type and that's what was sitting on my HD.

I like the YSI comp idea a lot and seeing how fast the d/l's are grabbing it track by track wouldn't be too much of a chore.

jc

Mike
02-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Just been listening to some samples and it sounds pretty good - one for the wishlist, thanks Jim,

Cheers
Mike

ForeverAutumn
02-22-2006, 07:13 AM
Just been listening to some samples and it sounds pretty good - one for the wishlist, thanks Jim,

Cheers
Mike

I agree. But since I have to ask what Flac is, I'll wait for the album.

Jim Clark
02-22-2006, 08:57 AM
I agree. But since I have to ask what Flac is, I'll wait for the album.

Barry knows! It's not very proggy though and probably not something I'd envision you really digging.

jc

ForeverAutumn
02-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Barry knows! It's not very proggy though and probably not something I'd envision you really digging.

jc

Haven't you figured out yet that there's much more to me than just prog? I'm a very complex woman you know.

I listened to the sample on their website (your original link) and was quite intrigued. Whether I actually end up digging them remains to be seen.

Now don't give me no flack!

P.S. I originally posted with smilies and then went back and deleted them...just for you.

Jim Clark
02-22-2006, 09:58 AM
P.S. I originally posted with smilies and then went back and deleted them...just for you.

You are the best!

jc

Slosh
02-22-2006, 01:27 PM
I didn't realize until you pointed it out that the file was larger than 100 MB. Maybe the software was asleep at the wheel while I was doing it.

I like the YSI comp idea a lot and seeing how fast the d/l's are grabbing it track by track wouldn't be too much of a chore.
Hmmm, now it's telling me I can upload up to a 1GB file. Yesterday it was 100MB at a time. :confused: I actually want to send this comp to a friend but if it works I'll post the link here and redirect her.

Fingers crossed.

Jim Clark
02-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Hmmm, now it's telling me I can upload up to a 1GB file. Yesterday it was 100MB at a time. :confused: I actually want to send this comp to a friend but if it works I'll post the link here and redirect her.

Fingers crossed.

I've found it to work a lot better to leave the email section blank and then wait for the link to be generated. Email the link and let them d/l everything on their own since you aren't the only one with a cap on email attachments. Good luck.

jc

Slosh
02-22-2006, 02:39 PM
I've found it to work a lot better to leave the email section blank and then wait for the link to be generated. Email the link and let them d/l everything on their own since you aren't the only one with a cap on email attachments. Good luck.

jc <s>I don't know if this has anything to do with it but when I tried to upload it yesterday I left the e-mail section blank. It started uploading and a while later when I checked on the status it said you can only send 100MB files at a time.

Today I tried it with e-mail (to myself with one of my other accounts that I use for online purchases - ie my spammed-to-death account) and it's saying I can do 1GB at once. This is the first time I'm using ysi but I suspect the recipient will only get a message with the link, not the actual file itself. We'll see soon enough I suppose.</s>

Ah, I see. The free version allows 100MB chunks. The free beta version lets you upload 1GB at once. Server crapped out on me after 450MB though. I'll give it one more shot.