Willy Porter [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Willy Porter

Dave918
02-21-2006, 02:54 AM
Sitting here this morning dreading the though of having to return to work, listening to Willy Porter taking off on Road Bone (from High Wire Live). The guitar work on this track just blows me away - this from an ex-viola player. The guy is an amazing singer/songwriter that can hold his own with the best of them on guitar. Opt80 turned me on to this guy sometime back and I need to thank him daily for that favor. Any other Willy Porter fans here?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=CAW030602210547&sql=11:tjjp7i68g7dr~T0

-dave

BarryL
02-21-2006, 05:59 AM
Sitting here this morning dreading the though of having to return to work, listening to Willy Porter taking off on Road Bone (from High Wire Live). The guitar work on this track just blows me away - this from an ex-viola player. The guy is an amazing singer/songwriter that can hold his own with the best of them on guitar. Opt80 turned me on to this guy sometime back and I need to thank him daily for that favor. Any other Willy Porter fans here?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=CAW030602210547&sql=11:tjjp7i68g7dr~T0

-dave

I have that same album and it's pretty low key, but certainly demonstrates the man's talents on guitar. I've been curious as to what his studio recordings are like, and one day will have to get around to checking them out.

Dave918
02-21-2006, 07:40 AM
I have them all and they are all excellent. His S/T release is the standout however.

-dave

BarryL
02-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Sitting here this morning dreading the though of having to return to work, listening to Willy Porter taking off on Road Bone (from High Wire Live). The guitar work on this track just blows me away - dave

You may like Kelley Joe Phelps. The place to start is Shine Eyed Mister Zen. I found his last two albums, one studio and one live, a bit uninspiring.

Saw him perform live a few years back and he is an unbelievably incredible guitar player. The audience was watching and listening in silent awe.

Dave918
02-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Kelley Joe Phelps is great. I have Shine Eyed Mister Zen, Sky Like a Broken Clock, and Tap The Cane Red Whirlwind. The latter being my favorite.

-dave

opt80
02-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Dave918,have you checked out Jackson browne's solo Acoustic vol 1?

I am not a big JB fan but this is the real deal

Check out the EP by Mark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell(of Belle and Sebastien) titled *Ramblin'Man*

How goes it,Dave?

Al

Dave918
02-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Going good Alan! Miss the daily interaction with you guys. What's the old saying...you don't know what you have until its gone, or something like that.

Haven't had a chance to check out the new JB yet, but I will - big fan here. I'll check out the EP as well. Be sure and check out Third Road Home's debut, you will love it!

-dave