PSB vs. Paradigm [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PSB vs. Paradigm

MikeL
01-21-2004, 04:49 PM
Hello,

I'm finally entering the arena of good audio. I'm starting out w/ an NAD C320BEE Integrated Amp and I'm trying to determine which speakers to get. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the following:

- PSB Alpha T vs. - Paradigm Phantom (cheaper option)

or

- PSB Image 4T vs. Paradigm Monitor 7

Thanks,
MikeL

RGA
01-21-2004, 05:07 PM
I like the PSB models better in the lower end models and the Paradigms better in the upper models. I have not heard the phantom from Paradigm but i did like the Alpha from PSB. The Image is much better than monitor series which to me is irritating. I do like the Studio Series better than the silver and gold PSB's.

I think you could expand out a bit from these. The B&W 600 series may be attained in your budget and is easily superior on a number of levels t the monitor and PSB models. They may be a bit to much money however.

Also check out Mission, Energy and Wharfedale as they all have a number of good options and some are less money to boot.

ryewoods
01-21-2004, 05:54 PM
I agree with RGA. I think PSB is better in the lower price range and Paradigm better at the higher prices. There are other options you may want to check out. I think the Energy Connoisseur line is very good in this price range. The Magnepan MMG is also very highly regarded, although only available by mail. If you like bass, Athena may do it better than anybody in your price range. Axiom also has several offerings you may want to examine.

An unknown, but phenominal option for a very low price is the Sound Clearing House K08T23. Frequency response is extremely flat meaning it is highly accurate, which in my opinion is the ultimate goal of any speaker. Unfortunately they are again only available online and retail for $370 plus shipping:

http://www.speakerpage.com/K08T23.htm

MikeL
01-21-2004, 05:58 PM
I agree with RGA. I think PSB is better in the lower price range and Paradigm better at the higher prices. There are other options you may want to check out. I think the Energy Connoisseur line is very good in this price range. The Magnepan MMG is also very highly regarded, although only available by mail. If you like bass, Athena may do it better than anybody in your price range. Axiom also has several offerings you may want to examine.

An unknown, but phenominal option for a very low price is the Sound Clearing House K08T23. Frequency response is extremely flat meaning it is highly accurate, which in my opinion is the ultimate goal of any speaker. Unfortunately they are again only available online and retail for $370 plus shipping:

http://www.speakerpage.com/K08T23.htm

Thanks, Guys. I will be sure to check out the other brands you mentioned

kexodusc
01-22-2004, 08:59 AM
There are other options than either Paradigm or PSB in the price ranges you're looking at. I use to own a set of Alpha's...they're decent speakers. If you listen to lots of classical they're not for you, especially compared to the Phantom's, but you'll probably find them a bit better suited for rock music.
In my opinion the Monitor series destroys the Image series, though they tend to be a little on the bright side. I don't really like the Monitor 7's though, I think you'd be better off to stick with the smaller cabinet versions in either brand. 4 years ago I was a loyal (and naive) PSB fan. Naturally, the rules are if you like PSB you hate Paradigm (hey, I don't make the rules...) But the Image series lost me as a customer. If you get a chance to compare both makes I'm sure you'll agree...the Images really lack soundstage, struggle with female voices at the high end, and are way over priced and barely outperform the Alpha's.
I'd really look at the Energy Cons. as someone suggested. Great value in those speakers, I've been really impressed. But go with the newer center model, the older one is somewhat lacking. You've pretty much got 3 different flavours for speakers, here all three have great reviews on this website.
For some reason, all three of these are way cheaper in Canada if you're close. Even after duty and taxes. Just a tip to stretch your dollars, if it's feasible for you.

manek
01-23-2004, 05:28 AM
with the nad 320bee...its the PSB 4T's.

Monitor audio bronze B6 very good too.