Old Turntable/New Equipment...HELP!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Old Turntable/New Equipment...HELP!!

DC Born
02-20-2006, 06:25 AM
I have an old Mitsubishi LT-22 linear tracking truntable in excellent condition that has not been hooked up to a system in year. I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 525 surround system that I want to hook the turntable to. I have replaced the needle, but I cannot get the turntable to work through the Harmon Kardon.

Is it an analog/digital problem? What can be done?

Adam

JohnMichael
02-20-2006, 08:36 AM
I have an old Mitsubishi LT-22 linear tracking truntable in excellent condition that has not been hooked up to a system in year. I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 525 surround system that I want to hook the turntable to. I have replaced the needle, but I cannot get the turntable to work through the Harmon Kardon.

Is it an analog/digital problem? What can be done?

Adam

My guess is that the HK does not have a phono preamp. The signal from the cartridge has a much lower output than a cd player and needs the preamp stage to raise it to a level for the HK's preamp. You would also need the RIAA eq included in the preamp for the cartridge to sound balanced. If your receiver does not have specific inputs marked phono or phono on the input selector chances are you will need to buy a phono preamp. www.needledoctor.com has a range of phono preamps that will enable you to listen to your turntable.

DC Born
02-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the info John. I got my needle through the needledoctor. We'll see how this works. I have a lot of music on vinyl that I would like to introduce my son to. Appreciate your help.

My guess is that the HK does not have a phono preamp. The signal from the cartridge has a much lower output than a cd player and needs the preamp stage to raise it to a level for the HK's preamp. You would also need the RIAA eq included in the preamp for the cartridge to sound balanced. If your receiver does not have specific inputs marked phono or phono on the input selector chances are you will need to buy a phono preamp. www.needledoctor.com has a range of phono preamps that will enable you to listen to your turntable.