Need help with IDing speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with IDing speakers

skyfyredragon
02-19-2006, 01:46 PM
I have a pair of Paradigm speakers that i know nothing about. I'm looking to sell them and get a set of bigger speakers b/c they aren't enough for my amp, which is around 400-something volts. However, i don't know what to be asking for the speakers. I have a picture in my gallery somewhere. The grills do NOT come off. I think they're around six years old.

Skyfyre

kexodusc
02-19-2006, 05:35 PM
They should have a name one them somewhere on the back, but looks like either the Atoms or Titans to me. you could tell by the dimensions compared to the current models...I'd say V.1, obviously.

N. Abstentia
02-19-2006, 05:49 PM
400 volts? Wow! That amp should pump pretty hard!

kexodusc
02-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Just curious, how do you tell the Atom apart from the Titan by the pictures? Was there something cosmetic?

Antoine Michalopoulos
02-19-2006, 06:38 PM
I have a pair of Paradigm speakers that i know nothing about. I'm looking to sell them and get a set of bigger speakers b/c they aren't enough for my amp, which is around 400-something volts. However, i don't know what to be asking for the speakers. I have a picture in my gallery somewhere. The grills do NOT come off. I think they're around six years old.

Skyfyre

The speakers are the Paradigm Titans V1. I owned a pair for over 8 years. They are suitable for amps that are 10 - 100 watts per channel. Your Sansui amp is rated at 85 watts per channel. It would be a perfect match. I have used amps up to 150 watts on these speakers, including Sansui also.

skyfyredragon
02-19-2006, 07:55 PM
what i don't get is that i have a couple of 180 watt amps and even they produce a buzzing through the speakers. Its like the speakers cant handle a lot of bass

Skyfyre

skyfyredragon
02-19-2006, 08:07 PM
400 volts? Wow! That amp should pump pretty hard!

You seem to know about a/v stuff. I am actually having trouble with that amplifier i mentioned. It has outputs for two sets of speakers in the back but on both of them, the right channel is shut down. It was working for a while but now it doesn't. I'm looking, and i mean LOOKING b/c alot of places here got flooded (I live in New Orleans) for a place to have it serviced. This one place wanted me to pay almost a hundred dollars just for them to take it apart and look at it. I want to know if there is anything that i can do. I am very technically inclined, I just don't know what im doing in this case. Give me a computer and i can completely dismantle it and know where everything goes but im at a loss when it comes to a/v stuff. (probably b/c i just got into it within the last two weeks).

Skyfyre

N. Abstentia
02-20-2006, 11:34 AM
If you've got a channel out, it's more than likely a problem with the output stage which is pretty major surgery. In the computer world this would equate to replacing the entire motherboard (unless you have a Dell or HP in which case you'd throw the entire thing away and buy a new one!) although replacing a motherboard would actually be quite simple compared to replacing the output transistors on an amp. You can't just replace a board on an amp, you'd actually have to de-solder and re-solder the individual components.

$100 seems about right for a shop to diagnose the problem with the amp....I charge nearly that for cracking open a computer :)

skyfyredragon
02-20-2006, 02:05 PM
If you've got a channel out, it's more than likely a problem with the output stage which is pretty major surgery. In the computer world this would equate to replacing the entire motherboard (unless you have a Dell or HP in which case you'd throw the entire thing away and buy a new one!) although replacing a motherboard would actually be quite simple compared to replacing the output transistors on an amp. You can't just replace a board on an amp, you'd actually have to de-solder and re-solder the individual components.

$100 seems about right for a shop to diagnose the problem with the amp....I charge nearly that for cracking open a computer :)
I'm actually pretty sure as to where the problem lies. Its either in the connections at the volume knob or the balance knob b/c they are the ones i have to wiggle to get the right channel to come back on.

Skyfyre

MikeyBC
02-25-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm actually pretty sure as to where the problem lies. Its either in the connections at the volume knob or the balance knob b/c they are the ones i have to wiggle to get the right channel to come back on.

Skyfyre

You could try and spray some electrical contact cleaner into the backside of the volume and balance control, TV tuner cleaner will work also. I bet that will fix it, though it might be only be a temporary fix.

skyfyredragon
03-08-2006, 11:53 AM
I actually did, sorry it took so long to get back here. The problem went away after I sprayed the contact cleaner per-instructions. saved me a good bit of money.

Skyfyre