Anyone heard anything about a 42 inch Samsung CRT tv? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard anything about a 42 inch Samsung CRT tv?

acqui
01-21-2004, 04:15 PM
I heard CNN reporting that Samsung was coming out with a CRT telly that will be available in April that will be largest direct view widescreen made. Although the plasmas are popular and nice, I've still found the picture quality on my Sony 34 in XBR to be very good and was thinking of upgrading to the 42 inch, esp if the price will be less than $2300, as reported by CNN at the 2004 CES show.

Worf101
01-22-2004, 09:02 AM
But I don't think you can make a 42-inch CRT. The tube would be so large and heavy as to make the thing almost unmovable. Seriously go to Samsung.com see what they got, but it sounds too large to me. Now a rear projection or DLP mode TV yes... but a traditional CRT picture tube would be monsterous at 42 inches.

Da Worfster

jxnew
01-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Sony already has a 40 incher (not widescreen though) at 304lbs.

mpm32
01-23-2004, 05:39 AM
There are some television companies that have new technology to make the crt flatter and thinner from front to back. This will allow them to come out with larger CRT screens. I had also read about the samsung 43" CRT. I think from some CES reports.

Worf101
01-23-2004, 07:28 AM
As a man who lifts weights every other day (within reason) at the gym. A 300 plus pound TV is a monster to lift and position. You're also about at the limit of what most AV furniture can comfortably hold :eek:

I'd seriously think about other technologies before puttin that much static weight on my old hardwood floors.

Da Worfster

woodman
01-23-2004, 08:34 AM
Anyone considering the purchase of such a TV set should be made aware of the risk involved. Should that tube fail after the warranty runs out, the set becomes nothing more than an expensive door-stop or boat anchor! The cost of the tube would be so prohibitive that replacing it is NOT an option - replacing the entire set would most likely cost less!

Just thought everyone should know this. Although CRT failures are indeed rare, they can and do happen. Personally, I wouldn't consider risking my hard-earned on such a set for a NY second.

logman
01-23-2004, 10:09 AM
I have a 2001 Sony KV36XBR400 and it is over 300# it is a bear to lifet and I had a custom stand made for it. It still creaks all the time. But the picture is outstanding.

If I had to replace it I would go wide screen.

logman

acqui
01-23-2004, 10:35 AM
Ok, that's it. You guys have convinced me. I am going with the 43 inch Samsung DLP. The reason I am sticking with Samsung is because my cousin the their Public Relations Director in NYC and able to get all of their products at 40% off retail, which is not a bad deal.