Help! Sub and speaker setup [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help! Sub and speaker setup

edshouse
02-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Howdy, I was hoping to get some opinions on the best way to setup a 2-channel system with a subwoofer for music listening. My receiver is the 5.1 A\V variety with standard speaker wire output connections for front left and right, center, rear left and right. For the sub output, it has a single RCA composite out. The receiver also has front A and B speaker options.

My sub is an Infinity BU-1 and has 'high level input' and 'high level output' speaker wire connections for front left and right speakers. It also has RCA composite right and left input.

So my setup question is: 1. Should I connect my receiver to my 2-channel front speakers and then run a single RCA composite cable from the sub output on my receiver to either the left or right RCA input connectors on my sub? or 2. Should I connect my front speakers using the 'A' speaker output from my receiver, and then use the 'B' speaker output from the receiver to connect to the sub? or 3. Should I run my speaker wire from the speaker 'A' out on the receiver, to the speaker wire 'hight level input' on the sub and let the sub skim off the low frequency range, and then connect my front speakers to the 'high level output' connectors on the sub to handle the high and mid range?

Here are photos for clarification:
Receiver:
http://www.geocities.com/stungbybeehotmail2/ebay/edshouse/1583.jpg

Sub:
http://www.geocities.com/stungbybeehotmail2/ebay/edshouse/1585.jpg

Thanks for any help.
edshouse

markw
02-19-2006, 11:48 AM
...I think you will be better served by using the speaker level inputs on the sub. Run speaker cables from your receiver's speaker output to the sub's speaker input. then, run speaker cable rom the sub's speaker outputs to your main speakers.

Set the receiver to "sub=off" and "main speakers=large" and "all other speakers=off", or whatever it takes. RTFM for more specifics.

This way all sources will be able to use the sub equally without worrying about what the bass management in the recweiver does (or doesn't do).

Should you choose to ignore this advice, simply get a cheapo "Y" connector with 1 female and two male RCA connections and put that on the L/R line level inputs on the sub and then run an interconnect from the sub out on the receiver the that female RCA jack that's dangling from the sub's inputs. Check your manual for your receiver's bass management.

BTW, nice pics. Oh, would that everyone else would be as accomodating when seeking solutions.

edshouse
02-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Mark,
Thanks for the info. I've just hooked up the system as you've suggested and it sounds great!
edshouse